Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Location: Placerville, CA.... You know, the only place on Highway 50 between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe the you find signal lights. Above the fog most of the time and I can see the stars of the Milky Way 8 out of 10 nights. Kinda cool.....
Garage
All Things Aviation Related

I posted this earlier in another thread “Admitting my stupidity”. Since it entails more of my aviation exploits, I am trying to relocate it to this thread. I figured someone would enjoy my suffering. Unfortunately it does rehash a point I made in an earlier reply.

Cheers

[QUOTE=bugstrider;10445354]Cleaned and painted my oleo strut on the ol C-150 heavy. In manipulating the strut and removing the cross through bolt, allowed a crispy, crunchy ancient O-ring to shift. Thus causing it to leak hydraulic fluid hours after a nice paint job.

QUOTE]
Update! And more entertainment.

So I checked in with the shop that is resealing my front strut with a FAA/PMA kit that I provided. Now I fully understand that I am not a certified airplane mechanic. Everthing I am doing is under the direct supervision of an A&P mechanic. Nothing is structural and all are little no nothing jobs.

The nose strut is the first item to see the inside of a FAA repair station in years because I wanted to leave that job to the “subject matter experts” and my A&P is out of the state on a job for another month. I was suppose to pick up the strut last week but due to schedules, yesterday was the first chance I had to stop by before work. Logistically, its easier to utilize a shop by my office since I am there more on a daily basis. I also “DO NOT” trust the on field shop by my county rental hangar/home field due to shenanigans they have pulled with some of our older/veteran owners. Shops or people that do those types of things takes me to a very dark place where not very nice things begin to run through my head. I just become protective of our older generation. Anyway, back to the story.

I walk into the shop and I am greeted by “just the guy I needed to talk to”. Now, in the aviation world, that is like getting a message on your answering machine from your doctor saying “please call the office”. It’s never positive and usually leads to some form of bad news.

He proceeds to tell me that the threads stripped off of the “guide pin” which goes through the base plate of the strut.

In looking at the wee little nut, I am not sure how that was possible other than his high school ROP student assistant hit this thing with an air tool. I understand that there is now no physical way to determine the cause, age, corrosion, don’t force it just get a big ass tool and make it submit, who knows?!?

All I do know, is that the Cessna aircraft company wants $3,800.00 for this stupid thing. For an airplane that is valued between 18-20K, this is where owning one becomes a P.I.T.A. and borders on stupidity. And here I thought I thought Porsche’s were pricy to maintain. I guess where this makes me frustrated is that if a bolt is frozen, then take steps to carefully remove it without destroying an insanely expensive part. I know time is money but my god, common sense people. This is exactly why I like overseeing these types of things. It’s also another reason for me to go back to school at the local A&P school 50 miles away.

All of this was caused by me trying to cosmetically enhance the plane. Will I ever learn?

Luckily, I just found a viable replacement at our local aviation wrecking yard. Yup, we have one here is Sacramento. It’s the same yard the Mythbuster team got all of their aviation items for all the aviation myths. Chicken gun, spiral cut wing, etc.

Anyway, for the most part, it’s identical with the exception that it’s about 1/4” longer. Although, in taking a closer look, it seems that my original might have been machined sometime in its past. It’s all about the journey, right?

Original on the left, replacement in the right.

Original

Replacement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1978 911SC Targa
Working Projects: 1968 912

Last edited by bugstrider; 07-18-2019 at 11:46 AM..
Old 07-18-2019, 01:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Location: Placerville, CA.... You know, the only place on Highway 50 between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe the you find signal lights. Above the fog most of the time and I can see the stars of the Milky Way 8 out of 10 nights. Kinda cool.....
Garage

Another exploit......

Found a nice set of Horton fiberglass wingtips for the 150. They needed some cosmetic repair, some paint and good to go. The past few days I’ve been multitasking working on a few different items. I made the repairs and then wanted to test fit them before going into work tonight. I finish up some wet dry sanding and they are looking really nice. Just need to run them up to the airport, fit, prime and let them dry while away. Since I get home around 4:00AM, I wake up this morning and my phone immediately explodes from major work related drama regarding the unit schedule which I’m charged with. So, mentally distracted from work crap and ready to explode, I get in the car and off I go.........

“CRUNCH!” I run both of them over. White car, white wing tips partially blocking the driveway just below the hood line. I had thought I put them in the car. So much for the forward sensors.

“ARE YOU PHUCING KIDDING ME?!?!?” I honestly want to kill something. Not much to do now but try to see if there is a possible repair.

Just before the vehicular tip-slaughter on the wing tips

After my cock-up. Fiberglass survived by flexing but the gel coat, not so much.

Scene of the crime

Today’s lesson: “mental distractions are real”

Seeing how extensive my royal cock-up goes

Getting some pointers from a buddy who is a composite owner/builder

1978 911SC Targa

Last edited by bugstrider; 07-18-2019 at 11:48 AM..
Old 07-18-2019, 02:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Continued story from above^^^^
Damage control currently in effect.

Reinforcing the insides then will tackle the exterior. So far it’s looking hopeful. Will further strengthen the nav light mounting points with a riv nut-plate. The exterior will take a bit of work with resin and shedded glass to get the paste constancy I need. Sanding and more sanding followed with Polly Fill with a sanding chaser. Will set up while I’m at work tonight.

Wasted time on repairs due to me failing to just take a deep breath and looking twice before driving away.

1978 911SC Targa

Last edited by bugstrider; 07-18-2019 at 11:49 AM..
Old 07-18-2019, 02:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage

Part-III of the wingtip saga

Redeemed my earlier stupidity of running over my new/used wingtips.

Before

After

This is the problem with working shift work. Even on a day off, I am flipping wide awake at 0230 hrs.

1978 911SC Targa
Old 07-18-2019, 02:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by crustychief View Post
I would love to build and fly a plane someday but I guess rebuilding the only known surviving SBD-1 will have to do for now. I volunteer at the Flying Leatherneck museum and have plenty of projects going on.

You are an aviation GOD!!!! That would be so awesome to see, let alone being part of its restoration. I think your project trumps any satisfaction building a homebuilt could bring. Does your trusty sidekick "Spot"? still go to work with you?

The wife recently picked up a new read for me. I will be honest, I was surprised about how much I didn’t know regarding the attack on Pearl Harbor and our Navy’s military aircraft involvement and just how many SBD planes and crews were lost to our own friendly fire. I recommend it if you like military history.

PS: Awesome pic of your little aviator with her tigger. I possibly might have luck with my oldest granddaughter since her daddy (our oldest son) is introducing her to all things motorized.

1978 911SC Targa

Last edited by bugstrider; 07-18-2019 at 12:16 PM..
Old 07-18-2019, 02:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
Another fantastic true story about aviation. Two brothers and their relationships with each other and their father. Grabbed my attention from cover to cover and read it in record time. A very unusual feet for me, since I am the type to have two or three different books going at once. Must be the ADHD, lol

1978 911SC Targa
Old 07-18-2019, 02:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper35 View Post
If you build in the experimental category you are your own A&P by default. Though being certified would be a plus.

Paul, is that one of the 2 seat Lancair models? I know they can be sporty, but they aren't very big. Maybe ideal for a Tom Cruise sized guy.

Bugs, what kind of sportiness are you looking for? Speed, aerobatics?

I did all my flight training in a C152. 5323M was my favorite of the fleet. That was 1987. Fun little planes if you and your passenger aren't very big.
As far as what I am looking for, both sides of my ID are fighting. With our sonís family and all of the wifeís family in Pheonix, a solid workhorse is the logical choice. Guys at the airport say a 210 or a Bonanza. The feeding of that big motor scares me at the burn rates they can do. Not to mention the cost of the annual. I get off easy with the 150 and the owner assisted annual.

The selfish side of my ID has always been partial to the RVís and my dadís cousin (whatever that makes him to me) is very well known in the RV community and holds a few speed records in his RV-4. I have personally been through the VANís factory twice and each time my left butt cheek is numb from my wallet vibrating at such a high frequency. I also keep hearing......Ē doooooo it, justttttt doooooo itĒ regarding a tail kit. The last time, I purchased a preview set of plans for the RV-8, tailwheel of course. I have always thought the RV-4 is a sexy plane but like the extra space of the RV-8. I keep telling the wife that I have one too many seats in the 150 since she never flys with me, so an RV-3 is even an idea.......not. She shot that idea down like turd in a lead balloon.

My buddy is working with me in getting checked out in his Longez and that has spiked my interest. At altitude, he is seeing nearly 200mph at 6-7 gph. He also is planning a round the world flight and with his fuel bladder in the rear seat, has a range north of 4000 NM. I like the look of the longez but your also limited to improved surfaces only. Another friend here locally had a RV-6 but sold it to begin his work on a two place carbon Lancair. This thing has to be the most beautiful Lanc I have every seen. They spend their time between CA and TX and cover the ground in record time. With the monster IO-540, they see insane speeds. He did tell me the last time we spoke, those planes are very hard to insur almost to the point of being impossible to insur if you find one secondhand.

So a very long answer to a short question, is that I honestly do not know. What I would like and what I can afford are two totally different realities I am afraid. I would honestly say that I am leaning towards the experimental category, something that can go fast.

BTW, your project looks sweet!!!

1978 911SC Targa

Last edited by bugstrider; 07-18-2019 at 11:44 PM..
Old 07-18-2019, 03:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage

One more random aviation pic and I am calling it a night.

A signed plate of a local WWII ACE, Ret. Col Bud Anderson. His sortie was the pilot show in the History Channelís Dogfights years back.

Nite-O fellas

Later, I will post some pics of a chunk of runway my brother scored me from Beale AFB

1978 911SC Targa
Old 07-18-2019, 03:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

I got my ppl, and plane 7 years ago. I was 55 at the time and retired, so I finally had the time.

Here is a pic of the plane, it’s a 1960 Beechcraft Debonair. I bought it sight unseen, I had it delivered as I didn’t have my license at the time.

I recently added static cling tint to the rear windows, hopefully it will make it a little more comfortable for the rear seat passengers. My wife and her friend recently complained about being hot back there.

Here is a panel pic, I have used foreflight since I started, I also have a stratus that is invaluable for long cross country trips for the weather. I recently added the garmin 660.

I am also planning on going with the tailbeacon for adsb. If it doesn’t get approved soon I may just go with the garmin unit that installs between the transponder and antena.

I’m also planning on updating my avionics soon, but damn that’s expensive for something that doesn’t make the plane any faster.
1973 911t coupe / 3.2 (sold)
Gruppe B #057

Last edited by dmcummins; 07-18-2019 at 04:01 AM..
Old 07-18-2019, 03:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tevake View Post
I have a feeling this thread will be an ongoing delight!

Count me in as a fan boy. I've been going to air show like events in recent years. More on the tarmac shows than flying air shows.

I love walking around checking out all the cool planes and meeting their owners to get the stories. They are very patient with guys like me with no real background in aviation, willing to point out interesting aspects of their planes.

I also enjoy aviation museums. I'm not far from Pensacola and plan to get over there again soon. Got the chance to visit the Airforce museum in Ohio a couple of years ago too.

I aLso really enjoyed the early aviation collection at WAAAM. In Hood River, where I met a friend for a carshow there A couple of years ago. Amazing collection of early concept designs.

It would be great if you that are sharing your neat planes here please include enough info for us know nothings to be able to google them for more details.

And thanks for sharing.

Cheers Richard
Dayton has a great museum and airshow along with static displays.

"Don't get so caught up in your right to dissent that you forget your obligation to contribute." Mrs. James to her son Chappie.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugstrider View Post
As far as what I am looking for, both sides of my ID are fighting. With our sonís family and all of the wifeís family in Pheonix, a solid workhorse is the logical choice. Guys at the airport say a 210 or a Bonanza. The feeding of that big motor scares me at the burn rates they can do. Not to mention the cost of the annual. I get off easy with the 150 and the owner assisted annual.

The selfish side of my ID has always been partial to the RVís and my dadís cousin (whatever that makes him to me) is very well known in the RV community and holds a few speed records in his RV-4. I have personally been through the VANís factory twice and each time my left butt cheek is numb from my wallet vibrating at such a high frequency. I also keep hearing......Ē doooooo it, justttttt doooooo itĒ regarding a tail kit. The last time, I purchased a preview set of plans for the RV-8, tailwheel of course. I have always thought the RV-4 is a sexy plane but like the extra space of the RV-8. I keep telling the wife that I have one too many seats in the 150 since she never flys with me, so an RV-3 is even an idea.......not. She shot that idea down like turd in a lead balloon.

My buddy is working with me in getting checked out in his Longez and that has spiked my interest. At altitude, he is seeing nearly 200mph at 6-7 gph. He also is planning a round the world flight and with his fuel bladder in the rear seat, has a range north of 4000 NM. I like the look of the longez but your also limited to improved surfaces only. Another friend here locally had a RV-6 but sold it to begin his work on a two place carbon Lancair. This thing has to be the most beautiful Lanc I have every seen. They spend their time between CA and TX and cover the ground in record time. With the monster IO-540, they see insane speeds. He did tell me the last time we spoke, those planes are very hard to insur almost to the point of being impossible to insur if you find one secondhand.

So a very long answer to a short question, is that I honestly do not know. What I would like and what I can afford are two totally different realities I am afraid. I would honestly say that I am leaning towards the experimental category.

BTW, your project looks sweet!!!

The Cherokee 6 is a good SUV of an airplane. Malibu if you want to fly high.

Richard Collins had some good articles on Airfactsjournal.com on the 210.

"Don't get so caught up in your right to dissent that you forget your obligation to contribute." Mrs. James to her son Chappie.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
OK all you pilots, this article has been bothering me. Should you need a gimbal for your cupholder if your turn is coordinated, regardless of the amount of bank?

Then, I attempted to weld a washer onto the screw. It wasn’t pretty. The screw heated up, instantly melting the plastic arm it protruded from. I wrapped the plastic in a wet towel and finished the welding. It held. Now the washer slots perfectly into the armrest. I can have a cup of coffee in the airplane and not have it spill as I bank. (Standard rate only—no steep turns.) Moving on from Musk, the satisfaction this gave me was on the order of what I imagine Pasteur and Einstein felt when they had their penicillin/relativity moments, respectively.

https://www.flyingmag.com/customizing-your-aircraft/

Old 07-18-2019, 07:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

a.k.a. G-man

Garage
Bugstrider,

I think your enter-key is sticky.

Why so much lines between sentences?

It' weird.

32C Member #41

1986 911 3.2 Carrera (not stock)
1974 911 2.7 9114102230 SOLD
Old 07-18-2019, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimo '74 View Post
Bugstrider,

I think your enter-key is sticky.

Why so much lines between sentences?

It' weird.

Hahahahahahhah
Yes that is weird, I will look into it. Does anyone else using the Tapatalk app have this problem????? Thanks for letting me know about that, in all seriousness I canít fix it if I donít know itís broke. I can see that extended spacing would be annoying as chit. I will get into the computer and recheck spacing and attempt to correct it. Sorry about that guys!! Do you see that on some, most or all of my posts? I primarily use the iPhone app so it all looks normal in my end. Another issue I see with the iPhone app in general is that I can not effectively embed a YouTube video.

update:I just logged on via a computer and I have honestly do not know what the heck is up with the forum app and the insane spacing. I have gone through and corrected what I am seeing. I also noted that the picture quality I am posting also sucks.

Cheers

1978 911SC Targa

Last edited by bugstrider; 07-18-2019 at 11:41 PM..
Old 07-18-2019, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcummins View Post
I got my ppl, and plane 7 years ago. I was 55 at the time and retired, so I finally had the time.

Here is a pic of the plane, itís a 1960 Beechcraft Debonair. I bought it sight unseen, I had it delivered as I didnít have my license at the time.

I recently added static cling tint to the rear windows, hopefully it will make it a little more comfortable for the rear seat passengers. My wife and her friend recently complained about being hot back there.

Here is a panel pic, I have used foreflight since I started, I also have a stratus that is invaluable for long cross country trips for the weather. I recently added the garmin 660.

I am also planning on going with the tailbeacon for adsb. If it doesnít get approved soon I may just go with the garmin unit that installs between the transponder and antena.

Iím also planning on updating my avionics soon, but damn thatís expensive for something that doesnít make the plane any faster.

That is a very nice looking plane!!! I watched a video on youtube about an owner of a V-Tail(which I also like) that upgraded his panel to all glass. He stated that the weight savings was 60 pounds due to the gauges and all the wire that was pulled out. I think that you would see a couple knots out of that as well as a slight change in you CG. I too am waiting on the TB ADS-B and also the same Garmin. Thatís kinda good to see others are in the same line. I see you are sporting both the mini and full size iPads. If you only had one, who size would you choose?

1978 911SC Targa

Last edited by bugstrider; 07-18-2019 at 05:13 PM..
Old 07-18-2019, 10:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
OK all you pilots, this article has been bothering me. Should you need a gimbal for your cupholder if your turn is coordinated, regardless of the amount of bank?

Then, I attempted to weld a washer onto the screw. It wasnít pretty. The screw heated up, instantly melting the plastic arm it protruded from. I wrapped the plastic in a wet towel and finished the welding. It held. Now the washer slots perfectly into the armrest. I can have a cup of coffee in the airplane and not have it spill as I bank. (Standard rate onlyóno steep turns.) Moving on from Musk, the satisfaction this gave me was on the order of what I imagine Pasteur and Einstein felt when they had their penicillin/relativity moments, respectively.

https://www.flyingmag.com/customizing-your-aircraft/
Hahahahaha, good point. I guess if Mr Bob Hoover can roll a Commander while pouring water into a cup on the panel, then the short answer would be ďNoĒ.
This guy tried it in several different aspects
https://youtu.be/H4BpzIY62xE

1978 911SC Targa
Old 07-18-2019, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
The Cherokee 6 is a good SUV of an airplane. Malibu if you want to fly high.

Richard Collins had some good articles on Airfactsjournal.com on the 210.
Thanks! The C-6 was my actual first log book entry after a ground school instructor took me up for a flight back in the day while taking ground school at the Riverside Community College. I recently ran into him up at Wings in Auburn and learned that he retired and moved to Nevada. It was great seeing him again and getting updated on all the guys I used to know through the San Bernardino Civil Air Patrol.

1978 911SC Targa
Old 07-18-2019, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
FBHO, FHRC & FAOC

Heading up to Oshkosh Airventure tomorrow.... will stay until Weds or Thurs. We are not flying in this year... Wife likes staying in the camper too much. Will be parked in camp Scholler behind (to the north of) camper registration just west of Stitts road.

Men do not quit playing because they get old.... They get old because they quit playing.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH85Carrera View Post
We just finished getting our 182 out of annual. Dang that was painful for just the labor to inspect every moving part. At one point the mechanic threw a big problem at us. There is a mandatory AD for the seat recliner mechanism. At first we were told it was $2,900 per seat! Then he found that is was "only" $2,900 for both. Still not good. Finally they actually looked at the seats, and the update has been done. They looked again in the log books and a sticker had been misplaced. So all was well.
our Vet and her hubby have their 210 in a hangar across and down from our rental. They use theirs like an SUV and go everywhere. The husband(Ney) wrote a book about destinations and planes. They load it with kids, hiking, rock climbing gear, kayaks, literally everything. His last annual ran close to 11K.
This cowboy just doesn’t have those type of resources. God bless those that do.

Here is the book he wrote and published. I recommend it if you like doing this type of stuff. He was just telling me about a solo run he made to Alaska and backpacked through, solo in grizzly territory. The are true outdoorsman folks and are some of the most humble and kind people that I know. Our Vet who is a tiny thing has the build of a rock climber and has tackled the insane stuff. Such as the ledges that require you to hang in with just the finger tips.

This quote is “So” true of these two

1978 911SC Targa

Last edited by bugstrider; 07-18-2019 at 11:36 AM..
Old 07-18-2019, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Hancock View Post
Heading up to Oshkosh Airventure tomorrow.... will stay until Weds or Thurs. We are not flying in this year... Wife likes staying in the camper too much. Will be parked in camp Scholler behind (to the north of) camper registration just west of Stitts road.

Awesome!!!
Keep us posted on your adventure. We have yet to make it. We planned on attending the 100th anniversary a few years ago but unforeseen vehicle repairs killed out trip funds. We had a room reserved at a local community college dorm and everything. I still hate “Satan's Vehicle” to this day..... even though it’s long gone. 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee, hate, hate, hate, hate!!!!!!! We can even go as far as saying that it tried to kill us one evening. We pulled into the Costco gas station and as we stopped in front of the pump, the pulley tensioner decided to seize and snapped off falling into all of the moving parts. I saw a sea of sparks erupt from under the hood, out the hood gaps, grill and from under the engine. For a split second I envisioned the entire gas station and all the patrons going up in a "Die Hard movie explosion". We got rid of it shortly after that.

1978 911SC Targa

Last edited by bugstrider; 07-18-2019 at 11:45 AM..
Old 07-18-2019, 10:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: