Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
FBHO & FHRC

I have been there EVERY year since about 1994 when I finished building my first plane and got my PPL. I think I would consider quitting my job if I had to vs missing it. Have flown in about 1/2 of the times. Camping in the campground is easier and less stressful, but I miss having a prime seat under my wing during the afternoon airshows.

Men do not quit playing because they get old.... They get old because they quit playing.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
FBHO & FHRC

Pic from one of the years we flew.

Pic showing my '55 Pacer, scratch built Minimax and unfinished scratch built DR107 One Design (that I may never finish building at this rate)

About 20 years ago I was able to get my A&P and then my IA ratings through "supervised" experience. For many years I did annuals for friends as a side business, but now I just take the online yearly refresher courses to keep my IA rating current so I can annual my own plane.

Men do not quit playing because they get old.... They get old because they quit playing.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Garage
We have been going since the mid 80s, but not every year. Had to make room for Dayton International Airshow and when I lived in CA, we went to the one at Mirimar.

We will be there the 27th this year. Driving up and back that day.

"Don't get so caught up in your right to dissent that you forget your obligation to contribute." Mrs. James to her son Chappie.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
FBHO & FHRC

We are departing for home on 24th or 25th. We always go early both in the plane or camper to get a decent parking spot. We always return mid-late week to be able to unpack and unwind for the weekend prior to heading back to work. It is about a 7hr drive or 3+ hours in the plane (we don't fly direct to avoid overflying Lake Michigan in a single).

Old 07-18-2019, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Garage
Oh come on, what's the worst that could happen in a single over a small lake like that?

We have friends that take their RV every year for the week. Though I think they are going less days this year.

It is a very busy place for that few days but there is a lot there.

"Don't get so caught up in your right to dissent that you forget your obligation to contribute." Mrs. James to her son Chappie.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Location: Placerville, CA.... You know, the only place on Highway 50 between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe the you find signal lights. Above the fog most of the time and I can see the stars of the Milky Way 8 out of 10 nights. Kinda cool.....
Garage
Fire season brings the KMax in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1978 911SC Targa
Working Projects: 1968 912
Old 07-18-2019, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Location: Placerville, CA.... You know, the only place on Highway 50 between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe the you find signal lights. Above the fog most of the time and I can see the stars of the Milky Way 8 out of 10 nights. Kinda cool.....
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dar636 View Post
Great thread idea! Iíll go next: Iím an aircraft owner lucky enough to have a late model 185. Iíve owned a Champ, 182, Maule will keep the 185 until I quit.

I hold an A&P, with IA and make a living as a FAA DAR (FSDO and MIDO) as well as a DAI for Bermuda and San Marino. The bulk of my work is transport aircraft, being a general aviation guy at heart keeps me from any authorization restrictions so Iíll work anything -rotorcraft, GA, business aircraft, etc

I started just after high school and look to retire at 65 in four years. Boats are easier to maintain at this point. Iíll send better some pics later. Keep the thread going!

One of the ol trusty ex-workhorses

1978 911SC Targa
Old 07-18-2019, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Garage
We have a local Aircraft restorer that is known for his work around the world. Just a one man operation.

Here is his latest project

1978 911SC Targa
Old 07-18-2019, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugstrider View Post
That is a very nice looking plane!!! I watched a video on youtube about an owner of a V-Tail(which I also like) that upgraded his panel to all glass. He stated that the weight savings was 60 pounds due to the gauges and all the wire that was pulled out. I think that you would see a couple knots out of that as well as a slight change in you CG. I too am waiting on the TB ADD-B and also the same Garmin. Thatís kinda good to see others are in the same line. I see you are sporting both the mini and full size iPads. If you only had one, who size would you choose?
The small screen is a garmin 660. I have it hard wired to my fuel totalizer and power. Itís mainly a backup for my iPad. I prefer the iPad, my eyes arenít what they use to be. Itís also much better for flight planning.
1973 911t coupe / 3.2 (sold)
Gruppe B #057
Old 07-18-2019, 04:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Garage
All Things Aviation Related

Flew the C-150 heavy over to the Auburn Airport for a co-workerís send off at Knee-Deep Brewery. Wifey wanted to go so it was a nice little hop over from Placerville.

Nice little return flight taking an air tour of the region. I guess it was a win win flight with the Mrs. when we parked everything in the hangar, she promptly walked over to my entertainment DVD stash and pulled these out.
ill take that as a positive step since she hasnít really shown an interest.

1978 911SC Targa

Last edited by bugstrider; 07-19-2019 at 09:08 AM..
Old 07-18-2019, 11:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Garage

If you havenít seen his videos on YouTube, check him out. He is based just over the hill from us in Reno. He does a really good job with editing and has videos on all of his adventures with his buddies. They cover performance, mods, awesome areas they put the planes, etc. Since we were talking about the 2019 Oshkosh adventures, Iíd figure I would post his link to their kick-off flight to it.
https://youtu.be/_3ncvWwHyhY

Cheers

1978 911SC Targa
Old 07-19-2019, 12:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
FBHO & FHRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugstrider View Post
If you havenít seen his videos on YouTube, check him out. He is based just over the hill from us in Reno. He does a really good job with editing and has videos on all of his adventures with his buddies. They cover performance, mods, awesome areas they put the planes, etc. Since we were talking about the 2019 Oshkosh adventures, Iíd figure I would post his link to their kick-off flight to it.
https://youtu.be/_3ncvWwHyhY

Cheers
I have watched a bunch of his videos.... Good stuff

Old 07-19-2019, 04:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Reelin' In The Years

I've flow into Auburn a few times - neat place. I am trying to find the pictures.

I have flown either an H-60 or 53E across the country over 20 times, all 500ft and below - in the desert, much, much less

This pic was taken on a mesa in the Rockies - we had flow around Pikes Peak and were headed west...I had to take a leak.

Old 07-19-2019, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

One of my favorite videos.

https://youtu.be/KpOnFdunlYQ
Old 07-19-2019, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Garage
Our f-4 wildcat
Old 07-19-2019, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Wow that is some beautiful rugged country up there in Alaska.
Not many places to set down if needed.

Got to wonder how they get those remote landing strips done.

Cheers Richard
Old 07-19-2019, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafeye View Post
One of my favorite videos.

https://youtu.be/KpOnFdunlYQ
That was very COOL!!!
Reminds me of this story. I was digging the repairs made to fly it out. A pilotís gotta do what he/she needs to do..
Duck Tape of the Year Award
https://images.app.goo.gl/CQjLWWbTbHyHaYJaA

1978 911SC Targa

Last edited by bugstrider; 07-19-2019 at 11:55 AM..
Old 07-19-2019, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcummins View Post
The small screen is a garmin 660. I have it hard wired to my fuel totalizer and power. Itís mainly a backup for my iPad. I prefer the iPad, my eyes arenít what they use to be. Itís also much better for flight planning.
Thanks, the small screen o the left looked like a iPad mini.

Here is the video about the panel upgrade I mentioned. I have always like these. The local vintage restoration shop owner at ďRag-Time AeroĒ will not set foot in one. I believe that if you do all of the safety mods to the tail section and donít fly stupid, you would be OK. Thanks to a pilot loaded with Boy Scouts many many years ago doing loops in one and shearing the tail off is the main reason it is so difficult to pull a permit at the BSA Office for a sponsored Scout flight.
https://youtu.be/vDTYAXBcaIw

1978 911SC Targa

Last edited by bugstrider; 07-19-2019 at 12:04 PM..
Old 07-19-2019, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk View Post
I've flow into Auburn a few times - neat place. I am trying to find the pictures.

I have flown either an H-60 or 53E across the country over 20 times, all 500ft and below - in the desert, much, much less

This pic was taken on a mesa in the Rockies - we had flow around Pikes Peak and were headed west...I had to take a leak.

Hey! If you ever find yourself in the neighborhood, give me shout. I work at the Auburn airport but live literally next to the Placerville Airport. What can I say..... I like airplane noise.

1978 911SC Targa
Old 07-19-2019, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)
FBHO & FHRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk View Post

My god Paul.... That thing is a beast!

Old 07-19-2019, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: