Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to BRPORSCHE
Where (or even how) to purchase old wine?

S/O's 40th is coming up in a couple of months, and I have been tossing around the idea of purchasing a wine of her vintage.

We have both become enamored with wine over the last couple of years. I feel that our wine knowledge has really increased as well and that this wouldn't be a wasted experience.

We occasionally have small tasting at the house with a good core group of friends. It has been a fun journey! Don, I blame you. We couldn't have done it without you!

I assume the big box stores are most likely not the most ideal for this type of search. We have a few specialty shops in Houston that could possibly source a bottle? I assume it's just a hope and a prayer that the bottle was stored properly? If finding an old red is too cost prohibitive (pretty good budget - but not a DRC budget) would it be a good idea to perhaps try and find two 20 year olds - maybe a white and a red?

We do have our preferences, but I have a feeling that beggars can't be choosers.

Thanks guys.
Old 08-22-2019, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
Wine-searcher.com
- but hit or miss for old ones

so, next try Old & Rare Wine Co. - you will pay for them buying it from a 'collector'

K&L is another one with a good stock of old wines

a good Chenin Blanc white can last 50 years...

also possible there is a snooty wine store raht thar in Texas...

if not Hous-town, the Dallass or Fawt Wuth

Ostentacious has the big UT campus + tech so may have a good retail store too
Old 08-22-2019, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I found a couple, one 60 bucks and the other $360 on just one vintage wine site. They are apparently out there. Nothing on eBay.

These older wines seem to be in the 200 to 600 range on average, some more, a few less. The one thing that popped up (no pun) is that after shipping older wines, they must lay still for anywhere from one week to 4, depending on age, to let the sediment settle for a clear wine.

Better get shopping!!
Old 08-22-2019, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

There isnít a lot of wine that benefits from 40 years in a bottle, most of what comes to mind comes from Bordeaux and Burgundy and some of the champagne houses. To get something highly rated youíre going to be spending between 500 and 1000. That kind of money buys you a better wine in a different vintage, the choice is yours.
Old 08-22-2019, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I forgot to mention the possibility that you can uncork a bottle that old and find it undrinkable. It happens.
Old 08-22-2019, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
What about vintage port or whisky/brandy? I also think the big port houses do 40y tawny bottlings.

You're still going to pay! Drinking things older than you is a young person's game.

I have 90% of a bottle of bourbon that was distilled when I was in utero (1974) then barrel aged 16y. At one serving/birthday I'll probably make it to 60.
Old 08-22-2019, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I'm with Bill

I purchased my wife a vintage watch that was made the same year she was born.

She loved it. Food for thought.
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser - Black Betty
2014 BMW i3 Giga World
Old 08-22-2019, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by javadog View Post
There isnít a lot of wine that benefits from 40 years in a bottle, most of what comes to mind comes from Bordeaux and Burgundy and some of the champagne houses. To get something highly rated youíre going to be spending between 500 and 1000. That kind of money buys you a better wine in a different vintage, the choice is yours.
That may be a good idea. We both thoroughly enjoy from CDP. I'm sure for what I'm willing to spend we could find one that has a better chance of being taken care of properly and is am exceptional vintage.
Old 08-22-2019, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims5543 View Post
I purchased my wife a vintage watch that was made the same year she was born.

She loved it. Food for thought.
Damn y'all have given me great ideas to spend my money! This may be a winner for a special occasion watch.
Old 08-22-2019, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson View Post
What about vintage port or whisky/brandy? I also think the big port houses do 40y tawny bottlings.
I'm a big fan of old Armagnac. I'm sure she would enjoy, but I don't think it would be as special for her as me.
Old 08-22-2019, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRPORSCHE View Post
S/O's 40th is coming up in a couple of months.
First off. WTF? You know that she's *almost* as old and Sue and I, right? Would you be dating someone my age? Would you date me? Hmmm???

Second, when I turned 40, I didn't want a bottle of wine that was as old as me. I wanted to go on a bar hopping binge to prove that I could still kick the ass of kids half my age, and that's what we did.

Speaking of which, we should have another Houston Pelican drunken orgy. Er, get together. Quiet get together.

1980 911SC sunroof coupe, silver/black: The Wurster
2006 Mazda3 5 door, M-speed exhaust: The Ricer
Putting the sick back into sycophant!
Old 08-22-2019, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Vintage bourbon or Scotch should be easy to find. I have some dusties that are over 50.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

If Keef ever puts his "other" band together...y'all sure are some X-Pensive Winos
Old 08-23-2019, 03:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazuzu View Post
First off. WTF? You know that she's *almost* as old and Sue and I, right? Would you be dating someone my age? Would you date me? Hmmm???

Second, when I turned 40, I didn't want a bottle of wine that was as old as me. I wanted to go on a bar hopping binge to prove that I could still kick the ass of kids half my age, and that's what we did.

Speaking of which, we should have another Houston Pelican drunken orgy. Er, get together. Quiet get together.
We have all gotten old! Hell, I'm coming up quickly on 33.

I'd love to have a hang out with all the Htown guys, but damn this city is big. We are spread out all over.
Old 08-23-2019, 05:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

An armagnac like Darroze 40 should be relatively easy to find if needed.
Old 08-23-2019, 06:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:

Go buy a bottle of 2019.....blink a few more times....give the old wine to yer old lady
Old 08-23-2019, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:

I'd love to have a hang out with all the Htown guys, but damn this city is big. We are spread out all over.
Wow, time flies! Werenít you 18 when we first met?
Old 08-23-2019, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Now that Einar’s shop is in the city we should have a Houston Pelican meetup there.
Old 08-23-2019, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Call me. I have connections. There is an unassuming little shop in North West that has a "back room".
Old 08-23-2019, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Quote:

Pick a place and a time!
Old 08-23-2019, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: