Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I think I am offically old, I just got an RV!

My wife and I are looking to move out west, away from all that sucks about living in NY. Don't know just where yet, but our son lives in Denver and I have always loved CO. So we have decided to take 2-4 weeks and look around to see where we might like to settle. I figured an RV would be the best way to do this. So after looking into leasing, which cost $200-$250 a day! I said screw that, I'll just buy one, use it and sell when we are done. even if we lose a few grand, I will still be better off. So we didn't want anything big, wanted something that got good mileage, was easy to drive and park. But needed to have a bathroom and shower. We settled on a 2003 Winnebago Vista 21B. Its only 21' long and has everything we will need. Has only 35k miles on it with ZERO rust, gets about 14-16mpg! Sellers are older and moved up to a Sprinter style, as they wanted the bed on the same level. Will be flying out to Kansas to pick it up next week! These are very hard to find, as they only made them for three years on the VW Eurovan chassis. Has the VR6 in them and are FWD.

73'& 80' Mercedes Unimog DoKa
59' Austin Healey 100-6

Last edited by vonsmog; 09-12-2019 at 12:25 PM..
Old 09-11-2019, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Very nice. Seems like a nice compromise between comfort/convenience and ease of use (not crazy to drive, park, etc...).

Based on seeing the videos for the 11'8" bridge, I'd say "make sure you know how tall it is" but then since you've got the Unimog experience, you are probably no stranger to thinking about how tall a vehicle is.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 09-11-2019, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
Congrats, Von! Very nice acquisition!

My two older brothers each bought RV trailers recently - for camping purposes - as they have moved into their retirements.

I'm not quite ready yet, but when I am, would prefer something like what you got, than the pull behind trailer approach.

BTW, last night I went on Facebook Marketplace for the first time and there were tons of RV's on it and some looked like pretty good deals. Interesting resource for shopping.

Colorado is very beautiful - enjoy your travels and good luck with your re-location project.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
What?!?!

Garage
Very cozy. I dig it. And a VR6! Nice get!
Old 09-11-2019, 09:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Very nice. Been looking for a nice Rialta.
2000 K1200rs (gone, due to above)
Old 09-11-2019, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Detached Member

Very nice, look into joining KOA, its cheap and you get some advantages on priority for spots.

Make sure that you bleach:water the fresh water tank. In general I use it for shower, toilet and dish washing, but bring bottled water for drinking.

Look into a surge/voltage drop protector, from what I've read voltage drop is more likely at an older RV park, due to bigger rigs requiring more and more amps. Voltage drop will burn out the AC motor, and refrigerator.

A friend gave me some good advise, don't do elective repairs on the road, you will no doubt need a tool or part that you didn't expect.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greglepore View Post
Very nice. Been looking for a nice Rialta.
We looked at the Rialtas first, but didn't like the bathroom set up on them, and having to take the bed down to use the dinette. Plus I am 6' and the Rialta is only 5'10" inside. So I could not stand up straight in it. The Vista has a 6' 5" inside height. The mileage is a little better with the Rialta, but not enough for me to give up what the Vista offers. Plus the Vista is an inch shorter and narrower than the Rialta, spare tire on the outside vs, under it. We found it harder to find the Vista as they only made them from 02-04.
59' Austin Healey 100-6
Old 09-11-2019, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
I keep looking at the "Transit" RVs. They are now making some with "pop outs", which make them more practical. That looks just big enough to actually live in, while not being hard to drive. And not need a towed vehicle.

Mrs. Beard will not drive it.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
madcorgi

Nice get, Von. Love the Eurovan bones. CO is great, because it's 2/3 of the way to WA!

We owned a Ford Transit mid-rise in our business. I always thought it would make a great RV, James.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

That's a nice handy sized rig you found, and very clean looking. Especially the underside, wow.

I too like those Rialtas, but your expanded camper body offers lots more interior living space. I wouldn't want to convert the bed to living space each day either. I hope your over the cab bed works out for you.

The only problem I see is that your four weeks will end leaving you wanting more, Colo is just that way, so much to see.

Cheers Richard
Old 09-11-2019, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
A Man of Wealth and Taste

Where is the entertainment center???? The WIFI hookup so you won't miss the goings on, on the Pelican...

And Hey for allyo RV'ers I know a place where you can get some water front property just for the parking....Any Seattle park just grab a parking space and you can live there permanently....right on the water...hey what could be more grand and cheaper than that...

CITIZEN TABS

WWW.RADIOTABS.COM
Old 09-11-2019, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Looks to be in great shape!
Congrats!
And I sold a bunch of parts I hadn't installed yet.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

1) cool rig!
2) I love that people refer to Colorado as "out west." As I write in Oregon.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Congrats - When in Colo, don't overlook the western Slope towns......Away from the city crowds.........I visit step son in Montrose twice a year....I could live there......
1962 XKE Roadster (sold)
19 motorcycles
Old 09-11-2019, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Cogito Ergo Sum

Garage
Von, you should come check out AZ. Cheaper land than CO and better winters! 🤣🤣🤣
Old 09-11-2019, 05:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Don't forget to put a fire extinguisher near the bed.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Awesome! Converted to s camper in my mother’s home twin of Forest City, Iowa.

If you want any tips on CO or while you are here, look me up.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Run smooth, run fast

I'm so disappointed. I was hoping to see something like this...

...or this...

Kidding... have fun!
Old 09-12-2019, 01:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
My friends call me, Top

Garage
Nice Von !

'87 924S
'71 440 Charger R/T
Old 09-12-2019, 03:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel n Toe View Post
I'm so disappointed. I was hoping to see something like this...

...or this...

Kidding... have fun!
I was going to do this with a truck camper on my brown Doka, but then my wife would not drive it at all! I'm lucky that I will be able to get her to drive the one we are getting!

And I don't know what a Inside dual-IDK is??

59' Austin Healey 100-6
Old 09-12-2019, 03:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: