Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Simple stereo install in old car:

Question for the audio guys here; I need to install speakers and a head unit in my old 1970 Mercedes 250 sedan. I somewhat already know the answer, the potential speaker locations are limited to the rear shelf and front kick panels and head units are not brain surgery.

It seems like 1970s technology is going to be used but what speakers should I install? I just want decent sound, doesnít have to be concert hall, (and I know it wonít be). 6x9s in the back? What about the front?

TIA and feel free to drop brand names and models.
Old 09-21-2019, 12:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

If youíre going to go to the trouble of doing it, you might as well use decent stuff. I would use separates, but thatís just me. Most of the 6 x 9ís you will see have the Star Wars look to them, the biggest problem you might find is finding something that wonít look obnoxious in a nice car like that. I wouldnít use anything under 6 1/2 inches for a woofer. An amplifier will also be needed. Just driving the speakers from the radio wonít make you very happy.
Old 09-21-2019, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
I am a fan of Focal

- the low end of their range is not too spendy and performs very well; no need to buy$$ the ones that come in aluminum suitcases...

you might check with Crutchfield and see if they have found any other locations.

Last edited by RWebb; 09-21-2019 at 01:58 PM..
Old 09-21-2019, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

To ease installation, you probably want to match the size of the speakers in the kick panels.

javadogs point is well taken; if you want to enjoy the music, add an amp.

Go to a car audio store and listen to the options.
Old 09-21-2019, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
=VLOOKUP(val,tab,col,rng)

Garage
Go with something shallow mount, and round, don't butcher the car and you have thick steel to fight with.

I like Pioneer speakers- just make sure they aren't the cheapest level. Anything around $70 / pair on up will install easily, sound decent and not break the bank. Try them. Pioneer has the cheap speaker bit down cold.

I wouldn't worry about the amp myself if you go the lightweight speaker route, TF you gonna put it? Gas tank is likely behind the seat and the battery is up front.
Old 09-21-2019, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Back in the day (after Jensen Triaxials/Pioneer Supertuners), I had a pair of Pioneer 3-ways that sat on top of the rear shelf, powered by an Alpine with no more than 6-7 watts ....hazy memory here...college daze . Sounded pretty damn good....better than anything mounted in the rear shelf or doors, and it rocked....
Old 09-21-2019, 12:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Nice guy eddie

Garage
Thanks for the replies. I definitely care about not gooning up the interior of the car. My choice for the rear shelf of any old car would be speakers that do not protrude upwards or only slightly and then cover the entire shelf w speaker cloth that matches the interior or close to it. Hide them.

Second choice would be really German looking speaker covers from Blaupunkt or some other German car. The crazy aftermarket look is a no-go. The front ones would have to be pretty small, there are already cut-outs in the sheet metal behind kick panels but Iím not sure if they are original or added later. The higher spec models like the w108s had small factory speakers in that location.

There is room for a small amp under/inside the dash, there is some unused real estate back there. Same w trunk, under rear shelf. It needs to be clean. I have the original Becker for the car but itís a single DIN hole so I can put any modern head unit in w/o butchering the car.
Old 09-21-2019, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

The problem with 99% of the modern head units is they look like dog ****.
Old 09-21-2019, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by javadog View Post
There are some retro styled units out there. For example, https://www.blaupunkt.com/en/nc/products/car-multimedia/car-radio/products/single/19059.
Old 09-21-2019, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by javadog View Post
Agreed. I would be searching for the least offensive one, across the last ten years or so. It just has to have an auxiliary plug for iPod/iPhone.

I have a couple of cool old Nakamichi head units from the Ď80s that would look great in an older 911 but they are cassette w no aux, obviously.
Old 09-21-2019, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrochex View Post
There are some retro styled units out there. For example, https://www.blaupunkt.com/en/nc/products/car-multimedia/car-radio/products/single/19059.
I could live with something like that.
Old 09-21-2019, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

retro mod! Who needs an ipod when there has to be about a hundred radio stations out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2HnOjWa3tQ
Old 09-21-2019, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
A Marchand fan before you

Garage
Get an amp for the speakers and a small amp &l sub in a discrete location. With crossovers to separate the channels and a small sub you can use 6.5" oval in the rear and 5" circular in the front doors and end up with awesome sound.
Old 09-21-2019, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

All good advice above. For all of my 911s I get circa 2001+ vintage Eclipse copper chassis head units without internal amplifiers and always get separates with a good amp. One system uses an old ADS ph15 with MB Quarts and another JL Audio with Focals.

All of the time and trouble of installing a system properly, getting the best you can afford means it's done once, correctly, and provides maximum enjoyment.
Old 09-21-2019, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
What I use.

This has what you need- you'll need an amp for it. It sounds good active with a 6 channel amp behind it. Only deck on the market that doesn't look like doo doo.

https://www.crutchfield.com/shopsearch/p99rs.html

Old 09-21-2019, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Got one of those too! Looks pretty good in the dash, maybe slightly too glossy, but fits the era nicely.

1977 911S Targa Chocolate Brown
Old 09-21-2019, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post
Got one of those too! Looks pretty good in the dash, maybe slightly too glossy, but fits the era nicely.

I ****ing LOVE mine. Best sounding deck on the planet. I thought about buying a 2nd one since they're going out of production. Been hoarding spare parts for 'em too.

Only problem is, I don't have a car to put it in anymore. Last time I used it was in my 2016 Subaru.

rjp
Old 09-21-2019, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC911 View Post
Back in the day (after Jensen Triaxials/Pioneer Supertuners), I had a pair of Pioneer 3-ways that sat on top of the rear shelf, powered by an Alpine with no more than 6-7 watts ....hazy memory here...college daze . Sounded pretty damn good....better than anything mounted in the rear shelf or doors, and it rocked....
I have a pair of similar older JBLs I just hooked up to a 16x2 watt amp. No drilling or cutting, nice sound. Not especially intrusive.
Old 09-21-2019, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Take a look around ClassicCarStereos.com. I had one of their radios in one of my cars and it had an aux input, bluetooth, etc.

Old 09-21-2019, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Focal. My factory head unit was not working in my 4Runner for over several years. I was stuck in one radio station and that was all I had to listen to, nothing else. Finally, I decided to put in a new one but Toyota wants 1200 bucks for one, so aftermarket is it. I ended up getting new speakers for the whole car, all 8 of them. It sounds great. They were all hidden behind factory grills. I like it so much that I got a set of all new speakers for my truck too. I use Al and Ed on Foothill in Pasadena. Great guy to deal with. Real professional. Most stereo shops want to sell me crap the 20 something wants. The boom, boom crap with big sub woofers and they don't look like they know what they are doing.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: