Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Groucho Marxist

Garage
You will need to figure out what might fit. Speaker in the dash and in the back from the factory in my grandfather's old 280 sedan. Probably a lot of metal around the speaker holes in the back I bet.

Mark Twain
Old 09-21-2019, 09:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

Denis, for the rear deck if you have the space you should try to under-mount the speakers, then you could either fabric over the top of the hole or use a factory grille. Similar concept for the front speakers, I would would work within the constraints of the space you have. I personally hate a classic car that's been hacked up with a modern audio system. 4-6 speakers, a good HU, a compact amp, and I think you're in good shape. If you want a little more low end, my RX8 had a Rockville powered subwoofer that did a really nice job of filling in the holes in the stock Bose system. It's a pancake style speaker that could easily fit under a seat, and powered so the install is simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANDY P View Post
This has what you need- you'll need an amp for it. It sounds good active with a 6 channel amp behind it. Only deck on the market that doesn't look like doo doo.

https://www.crutchfield.com/shopsearch/p99rs.html

Agreed, had one in my RX-7. Great head unit and blends in well to most interiors.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by look 171 View Post
Focal. My factory head unit was not working in my 4Runner for over several years. I was stuck in one radio station and that was all I had to listen to, nothing else. -snip-
The stereo in my '02 Silverado only has AM radio working now.

The stereo lights don't even work either so at night changing stations is a little adventurous.

At some point I will replace with something that works but for now I just carry a small rechargeable speaker that accepts a flash drive loaded with my music. Really good sound, all things considered.

>$20 from Amazon

Old 09-22-2019, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Quote:
Focal. My factory head unit was not working in my 4Runner for over several years. I was stuck in one radio station and that was all I had to listen to, nothing else. Finally, I decided to put in a new one but Toyota wants 1200 bucks for one, so aftermarket is it. I ended up getting new speakers for the whole car, all 8 of them. It sounds great. They were all hidden behind factory grills. I like it so much that I got a set of all new speakers for my truck too. I use Al and Ed on Foothill in Pasadena. Great guy to deal with. Real professional. Most stereo shops want to sell me crap the 20 something wants. The boom, boom crap with big sub woofers and they don't look like they know what they are doing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
The stereo in my '02 Silverado only has AM radio working now.

The stereo lights don't even work either so at night changing stations is a little adventurous.

At some point I will replace with something that works but for now I just carry a small rechargeable speaker that accepts a flash drive loaded with my music. Really good sound, all things considered.

>$20 from Amazon
Al and Edís is a good store but in both of your cases, Iíd have been looking for a good used replacement OEM stereo on eBay or CL. They are usually cheap, Iíve gone that route w newer trucks. Sometimes just to upgrade to the next generation unit.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post
Got one of those too! Looks pretty good in the dash, maybe slightly too glossy, but fits the era nicely.

what is it?
Old 09-22-2019, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
Itís the Pioneer that Randy linked on the first page. Model DEX-99RS. They arenít cheap; $1,200, but have automatic tuning of sound levels and time delays along with built in electronic crossover. Needs an amplifier for every speaker type- tweeter, woofer and subwoofer.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130DEXP99R/Pioneer-Stage-4-DEX-P99RS.html

1977 911S Targa Chocolate Brown
Old 09-22-2019, 01:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Bland

Garage
thx - I know about it but didn't recognize it in situ

I want something for ~~$500 - head unit only; retro look; plays from files on a phone; AM/FM
Old 09-22-2019, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post
Itís the Pioneer that Randy linked on the first page. Model DEX-99RS. They arenít cheap; $1,200, but have automatic tuning of sound levels and time delays along with built in electronic crossover. Needs an amplifier for every speaker type- tweeter, woofer and subwoofer.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130DEXP99R/Pioneer-Stage-4-DEX-P99RS.html
And for only $4999.99 you can get the 80th anniversary set. Only 80 being made so buy now!!!!!!!

Old 09-22-2019, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Why not get the Becker that came with your car? They can be upgraded with bluetooth etc. if you like. And they're no where near as expensive as the Pioneer.

https://www.beckerautosound.com/classic-becker-radios
Old 09-22-2019, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
As Matt said, a slim small subwoofer under a seat will go a long way for making the system sound good, there are many out there that have the amp built in,(something like Pioneer TS WH500a or TS WX130DA) as long as you have the space under a seat and are willing to run power to it, then the other speakers can be small 2 way sets driven from the head unit. If the pockets for the speakers are shallow you will not get much base from them, so don't bother trying.

Last edited by 908/930; 09-22-2019 at 06:09 PM..
Old 09-22-2019, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Model Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
...snip... for now I just carry a small rechargeable speaker that accepts a flash drive loaded with my music. Really good sound, all things considered.

>$20 from Amazon

This is exactly what I would do, and I'm a big fan of good music. I've put more stereos in more cars than I can count, I'm never satisfied with how they sound and I've spent way too many unproductive hours and too much money chasing unicorns.

(Plus, current front end units are so complicated with the controls and features hidden under layers of button pushing sequences that just adjusting treble or balance or fade requires you to stop on the side of the road to access the layers of menus.)
Old 09-22-2019, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by herr_oberst View Post
(Plus, current front end units are so complicated with the controls and features hidden under layers of button pushing sequences that just adjusting treble or balance or fade requires you to stop on the side of the road to access the layers of menus.)
This really is a PITA. When I put in my Pioneer (or was it Alpine, I forget?) head unit in my 4 runner, I specifically told the shop owner that I do not want something complex, especially the button layer sequences, which I fooking hate. So far this unit has been great and simple. The necessary adjustments are simple, intuitive and no pushing this and that button three times just to raise the treble. Blue tooth Apple Car Play is the best.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Nice guy eddie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cairns View Post
Why not get the Becker that came with your car? They can be upgraded with bluetooth etc. if you like. And they're no where near as expensive as the Pioneer.

https://www.beckerautosound.com/classic-becker-radios
Thatís a good idea. I have the original Becker that came in the car, havenít tested it yet to see if it works. Still, I need something more than the single, 50 year old speaker in the center of the dashboard for decent sound.

Bazís idea about the small portable thing is a good one if it puts out enough sound. I need something for listening to music while working outside anyway, so it might kill two birds w one stone.

Thanks for all the replies.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by herr_oberst View Post
This is exactly what I would do, and I'm a big fan of good music. -snip-
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeder View Post
-snip-
Baz’s idea about the small portable thing is a good one if it puts out enough sound. I need something for listening to music while working outside anyway, so it might kill two birds w one stone.

Thanks for all the replies.
FWIW...I was so impressed with the efficiency of this little rechargeable speaker, I ended up buying 4 more of them.

For under $20 each, they are a heck of a bargain, however you end up using them.

I have 3 of them in service just around the house. I used a bottle of white out to mark each one with it's application: I=inside, O=outside, and V=vehicle.

I keep the I in my bathroom for when I take showers. I keep the O in the garage, and the V in my truck.

I also bought a couple boxes of color-coded flash drives from Amazon and have them loaded with various tunes that I can switch out as desired:

LHNģ (Bulk 10 Pack) 4GB Swivel USB Flash Drive USB 2.0 Memory Stick (9 Colors)

~$20 for the box of 10.

I do intend to replace the stock stereo in my truck but that project is way down on the priority list so for now I have a cheap fix.

In case you buy one of these.....I also used the white out to mark the control buttons so I could see them easier: on/off, volume up/down/ and move up/down to next song.

You could use blue tooth but I don't really use a smart phone for anything but phone calls so I just use these flash drives. Very simple and easy and quick.

Here is the link again for the Mianova speaker unit:

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Changing-Wireless-Handsfree-Supported/dp/B079GR96PB/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=flash+drive+speaker+mianova&qid=1569239648&s=electronics&sr=1-6

Last edited by Baz; 09-23-2019 at 04:55 AM..
Old 09-23-2019, 04:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Here is one of the stereos I typically buy just to sit on the shelf if nothing else. Maybe 4 come up on eBay a year.

Eclipse CD8062 Copper Chassis Old School Rare
Old 09-24-2019, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

For the car Denis has, I'd get one of the custom guys to put a modern bluetooth no cd media device in the old chassis, not cheap but it'll look great.
Hide some Focals behind perf'd vinyl, and yes, a powered plate sub under the seat. The Sound Ordinance that Crutchfield sells is cheap and really good, even in a Targa.
I'd just call Crutch and see what they can recommend.
2000 K1200rs (gone, due to above)
Old 09-24-2019, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
83 SC

Garage
If your car has a power antenna and your going with a modern head unit, make sure it has a power out for the antenna. I just went through this mess with my 911

And, even though the alpine unit I bought has power to the antenna, it is always on. Meaning, when you switch from tuner to CD etc, the antenna doesnít retract. To fix this I added an on off toggle switch to the power out wires

Some head units have no power to antenna whatsoever
Old 09-25-2019, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Dennis, the owner at Al and Ed can help you with speakers and even install them (I am sure you want to install them yourself?). I decided to go with Focal because they sounded best. I didn't realize the Al and Eds are independently owned. I got really great service from him
Old 09-25-2019, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Ok, so I discovered that I already had holes for 6.5" speakers in the kick panels behind the covers and bought these on eBay for ~$40 brand new:

What speaker wire should I buy for an equally CSOB price online?
Old 01-18-2020, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Quote:
Dennis, the owner at Al and Ed can help you with speakers and even install them (I am sure you want to install them yourself?). I decided to go with Focal because they sounded best. I didn't realize the Al and Eds are independently owned. I got really great service from him
Al & Ed's can be very helpful, (or not), depending on the location. They are in business to make $$ and I am not their target audience. I do things myself for a small fraction of the price.

Old 01-18-2020, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: