Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Cars & Coffee Killer

In Deep

My oldest boy has been playing hockey for awhile. He's about to enter his fourth season at 8 years old. My next son, who is 4 years old, is about to enter his first season after a year of skating/learn to play lessons.

The longtime director of our local hockey program unexpectedly passed away over the summer. As there was no transition, his replacement has been trying to piece the upcoming season together in a rush with incomplete information. All of us parents completely understand the difficult position he is in and have been trying to help out as necessary.

Well, all of us parents got an e-mail last week that they still needed six coaches at the 4-6 age level. So I've volunteered to assistant coach my younger son's team. I've spent the past week picking up gear, registering as a coach, and taking required training.

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 09-29-2019, 10:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Reelin' In The Years

Welcome to the most frustrating, best days of your life.
Old 09-29-2019, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Insert Tag Line HERE.....

Garage
Send a message via AIM to rattlsnak
I coached all of my kid's hockey teams from Mini Mites all the way up to Midgets. They asked for volunteers that first season and nobody stepped up but me.. (I have played my whole life, and still do. My son plays on my team currently.. he's 25 and I'm 55.. yes he has the speed/stamina, but I have the experience/smarts! lol.. It was great fun..

and I don't know how it is where you live, but here the youngest kids always start first.. (@5am) and then every year it started an hour later and it was like a rite of passage at the end of every season with all of the parents celebrating that we all get to sleep in an extra hour the following season!!
Old 09-29-2019, 09:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
Good for you. You are a good guy and will have a positive influence on the kids. The example you set for them as a person will be much more important to them than teaching skills and winning games.
Old 09-29-2019, 10:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

Did I mention that I typically spend about 2 hours a year on the ice? Now it's going to be two hours a week. I have no experience playing, or coaching hockey. I told the director this and he didn't mind.

Old 09-30-2019, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I may have been volentold to help coach my sons bball team.
Never played other than jr and high school gym class. Not sure how that will go.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
This will get you started but there are plenty of instructional videos on this subject..

The go to place is USA Hockey... Videos, lesson plans, drills, etc..

https://www.usahockey.com/practiceplans

https://cdn4.sportngin.com/attachments/document/2577-1856002/8U_Beginner_USA_Hockey_Plans_1-6.pdf?_ga=2.114392709.347556414.1569904200-1387254208.1569904199

and a few others..

https://www.youtube.com/user/flexxcoach/videos

https://www.youtube.com/user/howtohockeydotcom/videos
Old 09-30-2019, 09:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

You will now live at the rink with two playing! I did this for years coaching for both my son and daughter, as well playing myself (still do at 60). Plus we have a 90'x140' ice rink in our backyard. You will get good at skating fairly fast if you are on the ice twice a week. Who knows you might want to start playing yourself!
73'& 80' Mercedes Unimog DoKa
59' Austin Healey 100-6
Old 10-01-2019, 03:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
I see you

I hope you're able to skate backwards, and that you have shin guards.

Old bikers don't get old by accident
equito ergo sum
Old 10-01-2019, 04:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

Week 1 so far:

Wednesday I got on the ice with my 4 year old and the other 4-6 year olds. Not much communication between the coaches, but I ran an activity where the kids shot pucks at a bucket. I spent most of my time collecting errant pucks.

Here's my fat ass with my 4 year old:

Thursday morning, my lower back, butt, and hamstring ached like never before.

My 8 year old did the same activity. The kids ended up punching holes in the same bucket. It was impressive.

Thursday night I showed up to find out that I'd been scheduled to coach the 7-8 year olds for their "advanced" practice. Fortunately, I brought my equipment "just in case". I was assisting a highly-experienced coach running games of "trucks and trailers" and "dog fight". Basically, they are close-skating activities with a partner. When my son reached my station, there were an odd number of kids so the other coach paired me with my son. He kicked my butt. Badly. And repeatedly. He loved every minute of it....and that made me love it more.

Friday morning, my lower back, butt, and hamstring ached like nobody's business.

Saturday, I'm coaching the 4-6 year olds again after my 8 year old has practice.

Old 10-04-2019, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Too cool. I don't have kids, this is one thing I might be missing. Keep it fun!
Old 10-04-2019, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
Too cool. I don't have kids, this is one thing I might be missing. Keep it fun!
You know, I wasn't sold on the idea of kids at first. I was fine with doing the DINKs thing (Duel Income, No Kids). After much persuasion from my wife, I gave it a try. The thing about kids is, they love you unconditionally. They want to spend time with you. They want to learn about the things that make you happy. They want to please you. The even crazier thing is, I found myself doing the same things right back.

Old 10-04-2019, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by legion View Post
The thing about kids is, they love you unconditionally. They want to spend time with you. They want to learn about the things that make you happy. They want to please you.
Until they turn 16.. lol..
Old 10-04-2019, 09:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk View Post
Welcome to the most frustrating, best days of your life.
Well said. I'm helping with football now, but I've coached football, basketball, and baseball. Also my wife and I are currently trying to pull together something for lacrosse, as my oldest son's team from last year unexpectedly dissolved. Dealing with the kids is the easy part.....
Old 10-05-2019, 05:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

About two months in...

This is my four year old down on his knees. Seconds after this shot was taken, he elected to cover the puck like a goalie. I'm in the background in red.

This is my eight year old reversing the puck and start his run down the ice...

Old 11-17-2019, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
What the heck is that blue line along the boards?
Are the boards just temporary dividers to get two teams on the ice at once?

Great photos, btw. Hockey is such a fun game for kids.
And I sold a bunch of parts I hadn't installed yet.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

They split the ice into thirds with temporary boards and play "cross-ice". The idea is that little kids don't have the speed or endurance for a 200 foot long ice surface.

Here's a picture that better illustrates it:

Old 11-17-2019, 06:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud

I hope yours isn't the one with the stick up the arse. We play grass hockey.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Legion...

Good for you. I did it for 4 years. and like they said, most frustrating and rewarding time. I loved it but SO hard to manage. I was a little ticked off at the other parents who said they "don't have the time"? Really? You work 5 minutes from your job, you don't travel and you have a stay at home wife? Seriously? I am a single father, with no back up who travels extensively for my job and I managed to do it... Happily other fathers have stepped up so now I am only back up and spring league coaching.

And oh, how much does it suck taking down those Mite boards ever game!

I stopped playing about 5 years ago when my wife died...leaving house at 9pm to play until midnight with a 6 year old wasn't going to happen. Happily this summer my 11 year old said "Dad, you should play hockey again, I know you really enjoy it." He said, I can put myself to sleep." Amazing kid.

The other night, I got a call...they needed a goalie so I asked my 11 year old to tend net for my beer league. It was the best night ever!

One word of caution. While they are small and don't really hurt when they inevitably bump into you. However, watch your back. I had a bigger kid slide into me from behind when I wasn't looking and landed on my coccix. OUCH. Took about a 1.5 weeks to heal.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/664950-1976-911s-garage-find-road.html

Last edited by NeedSpace; 11-17-2019 at 07:43 PM..
Old 11-17-2019, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

So...it's been an adventure. I got nominated (volunteered) as a travel coach for my older son's team for their rare travel games. My older son's assistant coach for local games tore his LCL, so I'm filling in for him. I bought new skates on Friday as my $10 garage sale skates were leaving my feet sore and causing plantar fasciitis flare-ups. I'm now spending 5-6 hours a week on the ice (as opposed to the 2 hours a week I thought that I signed up for).

Here's my older son making a breakaway at a travel game in Danville (you can see me on the left side of the bench in black):

Old 01-20-2020, 08:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: