Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Calling Excel Gurus

This is sort of an Excel question.

Here is Census data on household income for Portland OR. Mean income has risen about 5%/yr from 2011-2018.

I am trying to see if the gain in mean income, and the decrease [increase] in the number of low [high] income households, is due to broad across the board income gains, or to high income households migrating in and low income households migrating out.

It occurred to me that one way to test this would be to 1) build an assumed model for the 2010 household income distribution in some detail (X households with $0-1K income, Y households with $1-2K income, all the way to ZZ households with $200K+ income), 2) adjust that model to match the reported 2010 household counts by income ranges and the 2010 mean and median income, then 3) start testing different scenarios. For example, grow every household's income by 5%/yr and assume net in-migration was of the same income distribution as existing households, and see if the resulting modeled population and household distribution match the reported 2018 data. If yes, then it is plausible that incomes did grow broadly across the board. If not, start testing other scenarios to see which might result in the model matching the 2018 data.

Does this make any sense at all? It'll be a lot of work.
Old 10-07-2019, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
=VLOOKUP(val,tab,col,rng)

Garage
You accounting for inflation?
Why can't YoY changes in each category for income / headcount work?
Old 10-07-2019, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
This is all nominal.

I tried simply growing all income levels by a uniform 5%/yr, and that results in mean income +5%, not surprising I guess. But I want to test if that also results in a 2018 income distribution that matches the actual.
Old 10-07-2019, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Simpliest thing is to graph it.

You really need a regression on each variable or an ANOVA to check the relative slope. There are better programs for statistical work than Excel.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

I'm no statistician, but couldn't you just create a graph with the distribution for each year as a line? Then you colud visually compare each line. You could even have excel create a best fit version of each line and compare those. Then if you wanted to estimate/test alternatives, you could create figured based on the formulas of the best fit lines.

It would be reasonable enough for govt work or handgrenades unless you're planning to write a paper and submit it for peer review, I would think.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 10-08-2019, 06:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: