Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Colt Brings Back the Python

Holy smokes - this is huge news in the shooting world. Most of us never thought we would ever see this day. We all thought the Python was far too labor intensive, and therefor expensive, to be economically viable in this modern world. The Python gained its reputation as one of the finest revolvers ever made through one thing and one thing only - the careful, meticulous hand fitting of all of its action parts by one skilled craftsman. The cost of doing such would simply be cost prohibitive today.

Well, somehow, Colt has found a way. And they won't break the bank, either - MSRP is only $1,500, about the same as their SAA, and not a whole lot more than some high end production autos. Certainly less than a lot of custom autos.

Word has it that the actions on the new ones are even "better" than the originals. The "stacking" of the double action pull has supposedly been eliminated. While I'm not convinced that is a good thing, apparently the action is much smoother in general, which is saying a lot. We'll see - I, for one, can't wait to get my hands on one, even if it is only available in stainless.

https://www.colt.com/series/PYTHON_SERIES

Hopefully they follow up with a blued version:

"God invented whiskey so the Irish wouldn't rule the world"
Old 01-08-2020, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

Holy crap! I love revolvers and that’s always been at the top of my wish list. I would never pay current crazy prices, but that’s close to S&W money. I have a mk2 Trooper, always figured that’s as close as I would get.
Old 01-08-2020, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
I see you

OH baby I'm so lusting for that. Out of stock, maybe unobtainium for awhile.

Old bikers don't get old by accident
equito ergo sum
Old 01-08-2020, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I appreciate guns for the pure mechanical devices they are, from a machinist's point of view.
With today's CNC capabilities why do you think it'd be cost prohibitive to make such a gun now days?
Old 01-08-2020, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
I see you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Douglas View Post
I appreciate guns for the pure mechanical devices they are, from a machinist's point of view.
With today's CNC capabilities why do you think it'd be cost prohibitive to make such a gun now days?
Hand assembly?

I got my Beretta straight from Italy special order with handcrafted assembly, at least that's what I paid for.

Old bikers don't get old by accident
equito ergo sum
Old 01-08-2020, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Sign me up.
Old 01-08-2020, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

So, how long has it for sale and out of stock?

Its a spoon Id like to have.
Old 01-08-2020, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I'm not sure why, but I opted for a M27 over a Colt when I purchased my first revolver over 4 decades ago....but my Diamondback (.22lr) soon followed.....

Hmmm...now I don't really NEED one....but....

Damn you Higgins !
Old 01-08-2020, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Yeah, will wait for blue.
2000 K1200rs (gone, due to above)
Old 01-08-2020, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greglepore View Post
Yeah, will wait for blue.
Yep...I have a SS .44 (M629), and it's mighty nice....but I gots the blues
Old 01-08-2020, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

Heck, I'd be in at that price. And I prefer the SS.

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 01-08-2020, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by legion View Post
Heck, I'd be in at that price. And I prefer the SS.
Me too.
Old 01-08-2020, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Douglas View Post
The originals were entirely hand assembled and fitted by very skilled craftsmen. The hours they put into doing so, at the labor rates such skilled craftsmen would demand today, would render production very cost prohibitive.

So, yes, I would wager that today's MIM and CNC technologies have rendered that level of hand fitting obsolete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatbutt View Post
Hand assembly?

I got my Beretta straight from Italy special order with handcrafted assembly, at least that's what I paid for.
Yup, that hand fitting and assembly is what used to separate the Python from the rest of the pack. It was why Colt always said "never again". They have obviously found a way around that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A930Rocket View Post
So, how long has it for sale and out of stock?

Its a spoon Id like to have.
Colt is notoriously "out of stock" on pretty much anything you would really want. I learned long ago to just place an order anyway. Get in line. That, and place an order with every local gun shop. Sooner or later one will come through. I even had the happy coincidence one time, when I ordered a Single Action Army, of having a couple of orders - one directly with Colt, one from my favorite local gun shop, become available at about the same time. I could have declined either with no penalty. I went ahead and grabbed both - you never know, right? My wife exacted the "penalty"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC911 View Post
I'm not sure why, but I opted for a M27 over a Colt when I purchased my first revolver over 4 decades ago....but my Diamondback (.22lr) soon followed.....

Hmmm...now I don't really NEED one....but....

Damn you Higgins !
Heh heh heh... I love to hear that... my work here is finished...
Old 01-08-2020, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

They were released right after the new year. The whole production run sold out in two days.

Apparently they are planning another run. The assumption is that they will eventually be a production model again.

Last edited by MRM; 01-08-2020 at 06:59 PM..
Old 01-08-2020, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
I bet they could sell all they can make at a ridiculous price. Y'all are tumescent with the mention of the possibility one could be had.

I think maybe they don't want to make too many

Mark Twain

Last edited by Tobra; 01-08-2020 at 07:47 PM..
Old 01-08-2020, 07:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
It will be interesting to see if the 2nd generation Pythons are anywhere as good as the 1st gens! I haven't seen one yet but at the advertised price of $1499 I can't imagine it will be anywhere as slick as the 1st gens. Still, I'm willing to give it a chance to prove itself! Happy shooting.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
I thought this had been talked about and expected for years. Surely, they had to know the demand would be there. I don't recall if I ever got to shoot a Python when I was a kid. My dad had some friends with them and I remember seeing them at the range. I might like to get one, if they're eventually affordable on the used market. But the five or so Commanders I've had have been terribly disappointing, compared to the excellent one I grew up with and recently got from my dad. I just came to think Colt's QC was inconsistent and their pricing unjustified.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred cook View Post
It will be interesting to see if the 2nd generation Pythons are anywhere as good as the 1st gens! I haven't seen one yet but at the advertised price of $1499 I can't imagine it will be anywhere as slick as the 1st gens. Still, I'm willing to give it a chance to prove itself! Happy shooting.
I'm very curious as well. Those who have gotten their hands on them claim they are "better" in every way than the originals. I find that difficult to believe, but I'm willing to give them a chance.

One of the things that everyone mentions is that the "stacking" of the double action pull is gone. Like I said, I'm not sure that is a good thing, or "better" than the originals. I kind of like the stacking. To me, it enhances the feel of trigger cocking it, giving more control over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
I thought this had been talked about and expected for years. Surely, they had to know the demand would be there. I don't recall if I ever got to shoot a Python when I was a kid. My dad had some friends with them and I remember seeing them at the range. I might like to get one, if they're eventually affordable on the used market. But the five or so Commanders I've had have been terribly disappointing, compared to the excellent one I grew up with and recently got from my dad. I just came to think Colt's QC was inconsistent and their pricing unjustified.
Yes, it's been talked about - by everyone but Colt. Lots of folks guessing they would do it, hoping they would do it, with Colt all the while saying, essentially "NFW". Colt was in denial until they actually did it. Granted, not a very well kept secret.

And yes, Colt can be frustrating. You have mentioned your disappointment with their new Commanders in the past, and I've mentioned my satisfaction with my full sized Competition Series as well. As I've said, it remains the best 1911 I have ever owned, and that includes older Colts, Springfields, and Kimbers.

I've also mentioned that I have a pretty good bucket full of Peacemakers, spanning all generations. My three newest (one of each barrel length, all in .45 Colt), all purchased in the last 7-8 years or less, are the best of the bunch. Very smooth actions and outstandingly accurate. Colt finally corrected some dimensional problems in the chamber mouths and forcing cone that have plagued these things all the way from 1873 - not only are the chamber mouths the right size, more importantly they are all the same size. Where some of my older guns vary from .454" to .458" on the same gun, my newest guns all measure .452" in each and every chamber.

So, yeah, Colt is trying, but it still appears a bit spotty at times. They just suffered another bankruptcy and reorganized once again. Their new management appears committed. Their "production" (if you can call it that) numbers are still far below that of their competitors, so guns like the Python and Peacemaker will always show "out of stock", which can be frustrating. So, like I said, those who want one just need to order one, get in line, and wait. No, they can't tell you how long the "backorder" might be. They seem to just appear out of nowhere. That's just Colt, for now. Hopefully they get better as production picks up. We'll see.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Jeff, going to the Colt website, how do you order one, when it says sold out?
Old 01-09-2020, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Right now you can’t. If you can find a retailer who will take your name and put you on a list for when they get a new shipment you can do that. But most retailers won’t take orders because they don’t have inventory and don’t have any assurance that another shipment will come.

Old 01-09-2020, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: