Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

gonna suck but worth it

So I was on Spring Break last week and finally started my Chantix prescription to quit smoking.

Glad I was on vacay - doc said that day 3 or 4 one of the common side effects was "bowel issues". Lordy, that may have been an understatement on her part.

So what sucks? Well... no more dreaming really. And I typically have very lucid dreams. Now I go to sleep and wake up what seems like five minutes later. Part 2 of the suckage is that I'm having a hard time sleeping period now that I've started the twice a day dose, I went to bed at 1030 last night and have been up and unable to go back to sleep since 4am.... Think I'm gonna nap today during lunch...

So anyway, in a week or so I'll be a very tired non-smoker..... gonna suck but will be worth it.

Old 03-10-2020, 01:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Gon fix it with me hammer

Garage
just cold turkey it

go to whyquit.org, it's full of good tips and reading material.

just lay off alcohol while you quit

lot's of orange juice in the first days to break down the nicotine faster

have a watch , count to 60 when you have a crave

if you feel hungry, eat something,
then wait because it takes 15 minutes for blood sugar to catch up
Most will munch 15 minutes : That's why they gain weight.

It's ok to be angry at stuff , just find something to be angry at, like nicotine!
Then find something to work it out.. exercise, walk, bike

"Go on , one more smoke can't hurt"
You say it to yourself, but it's really the addiction talking.
realize it makes you schizophrenic.

The timelines
Quitting the first 3 days is a mile stone
Then it feels easier.. false sense of security
because nicotine will sucker punch you on day 10.
If you know it's coming, it's easier to defeat

Cold turkey, no nicotine replacements, they just keep the beast alive..
And with CT, you know you did it.. not some dodgy chemical

10 years coming up, 10 may 4h52 PM...
Old 03-10-2020, 02:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
a.k.a. G-man

Garage
I used Champix, don’t know if it is the same medicine.
Best money spent in the last decade.
Made quitting effortless for me. No extra weight gain, no foul moods.
It did boost my dreams at night though, but I slept like a baby.
Seven months and counting.
Recommend to anybody who wants to quit but can’t on themselves.
32C Member #41

1986 911 3.2 Carrera (not stock)
1974 911 2.7 9114102230 SOLD

Last edited by Geronimo '74; 03-10-2020 at 02:14 AM..
Old 03-10-2020, 02:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
Good luck! I quit Cope last fall cold turkey. Not an easy thing to do but one thing I did and still do is tell myself I'm done inviting cancer into my l life. It's a powerful mental tool.
Old 03-10-2020, 03:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
Good luck. I quit cold turkey in 1979. Best thing I ever did for myself.
Old 03-10-2020, 03:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdfifteen View Post
Good luck. I quit cold turkey in 1979. Best thing I ever did for myself.
Same here, but 1980. I think it was tougher to quit back then, because you couldn't get away from the smokers. I'd say at least 75% of the men in my area were smokers at that time.

One thing that helped me was having candy, a sucker, or even a toothpick in my mouth for the first couple weeks.

Get yourself a bag of Jolly Ranchers!

Last edited by stevej37; 03-10-2020 at 06:45 AM..
Old 03-10-2020, 03:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

I quit about 35 years ago cold turkey it was triggered by the birth of my first son . The strongest muscle is between your ears use it ! If you WANT to quit you will , if you make excuses then you won't . Good luck
Old 03-10-2020, 03:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
It'll be legen-waitforit

Good luck, I had a coworker that had very bad experience using that drug, but I hope it works for you.
Gone: 79 911SC, 83 944, 05 Cayenne Turbo
Old 03-10-2020, 04:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

When I was 13, our P.E. coach used to smoke out on the schoolyard, LOL. He used to have a lit ciggy dangling from his mouth. The 80s were the last of the glory days.
Old 03-10-2020, 04:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
At my high school the boys were allowed to smoke in the bathrooms on all three floors. If I ran to the bathroom (to pee) and went as fast as is possible for a teenager (fast) I could get out of the bathroom before the cloud of smoke was so thick I could not see the door. Yea, really, no exaggeration!

Of course any classroom close to the bathrooms reeked of smoke. The girls could only smoke on the second floor. I begged the principal to make one of the bathrooms smoke free. No luck. It sucked big time.

You will be amazed at how much better food tastes, and how much better you can smell things once you have it kicked.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 03-10-2020, 07:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

I used Chantix almost 13 years ago and have no regrets. Good luck with it.
2001 Jetta TDI dead
1982 Chevette Diesel SOLD
Old 03-10-2020, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
entertaining the idea

Garage
Chantix worked for me. I only had the intense dreams as a side effect. By the end of the second week all was pretty much fine. Haven't had a cigarette in 13 years.

You will succeed!

a well set-up 1983 Guards Red 944
Old 03-10-2020, 07:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered

I quit cold turkey in the '60s before these modern meds. Whichever way succeeds for you, go for it. I admire anybody who quits.
Old 03-10-2020, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

I'm currently on day 49 since quitting the habit I've enjoyed for almost 40 years. It's my first time to try to quit. I had a heart attack in December and the cardiologist told me by far the best thing I could do was to quit smoking. Not going the Chantix route, I started out with the patches and still occasionally puff on a convenience store type vape. I set my goals based on time. The first minutes were tough, but then I quit at midnight one night so went to bed as usual and the minutes became hours. Kind of like losing weight in your sleep easy. No cigarettes with my coffee the next morning really really sucked. But before you know it the minutes that became hours became a day. Then the next day. Then a week. Now a month. So, so far I am measuring my success in the units of months. The next goalpost will be a year. I wish I had done this a long time ago.

Old 03-10-2020, 07:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: