Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Porsche Crest Putting on new 911sc emblem - need advice

Ok. Just picked up a 1980 911sc that at point in its life was converted to a turbo. Long story short there is now a 3.2 Carrera motor in the car and I want to ditch the Turbo badge so I am not a phony! I purchased a new 911SC badge from Pelican but of course the holes do not line up. What should I do? There is a little cracking on the paint from where the Turbo badge was likely put on too tightly. My first instinct is to shave off the 911SC badge and use a safe adhesive to keep it on the car and cover up the prior holes and minor damage as seen in the pictures. I have attached pics for reference.

Thank you in advance! - Jeff

Old 08-15-2020, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
any chance you could cut off the studs and use paper thin double stick tape like they use on modern emblems?
'16 BMW R Nine T, '17 BMW G310R, '21 BMW R1250RS
Old 08-17-2020, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I would try to use at least one of the two middle studs on the SC badge in whichever of the two holes in the lid looks most correct. Kind of hard to tell from the pics which one it'd be. Then either drill new holes for the remaining studs or shave them and use the double back adhesive tape as suggested.

Last edited by Scott Douglas; 08-17-2020 at 11:48 AM..
Old 08-17-2020, 11:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
King Broinyo

Drill new holes. put down masking tape.
Old 08-17-2020, 11:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Douglas View Post
I would try to use at least one of the two middle studs on the SC badge in whichever of the two holes in the lid looks most correct. Kind of hard to tell from the pics which one it'd be. Then either drill new holes for the remaining studs or shave them and use the double back adhesive tape as suggested.
I always HATED trying to wax the engine lid because of the thick Carrera nameplate. I finally removed it with dental floss. I cleaned the area and got it pristine, and waxed it. Then I had a vinyl sticker made of the Carrera script. Now I can wax right over it, and have zero wax buildup in the lettering.

That does not answer your question. I would never want that big thick hunk of wax grabbing plastic on me car. But I am weird, I know.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 08-17-2020, 12:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostril Cheese View Post
Listen to the Sensei . And the 3m red double side tape ran out horizontally will secure it.

Nice color!
Old 08-17-2020, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Used User

No new holes. If you can use one as mentioned, it's only for insurance. DS tape is really good these days.
Old 08-17-2020, 05:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigster59 View Post
Listen to the Sensei . And the 3m red double side tape ran out horizontally will secure it.

Nice color!
Yep. Get it at your local FLAPS. Cut sections of the tape out vs straight one piece horizontally.
Old 08-17-2020, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Still here

Garage
Stick a turbo in it.
Old 08-17-2020, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

A Turbo tail on a narrow/SC flared car doesn't look right (IMO). I'd sell the entire deck-lid/tail (with Turbo badge intact), and source a non-tail SC/Carrera deck-lid that you can have painted.
Or maybe you luck out and find one in that color (Iris Blue?). If you really want a tail, then maybe look for an original SC or Carrera tailed deck-lid. YMMV...

Last edited by Eric Coffey; 08-17-2020 at 07:49 PM..
Old 08-17-2020, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Eh, I would drill new holes - it's not going to affect the value of the car any, as it's already been converted back and forth to other stuff...

The double-sided adhesive stuff doesn't always work out too well..

-Wayne
Old 08-17-2020, 09:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

I'm considering going the opposite. Welding the holes and going for badge delete on the SC.
Old 08-17-2020, 10:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
Stick a turbo in it.
That's the only correct answer

I drive the economy version of a premium car, and the premium version of an economy car.
Old 08-18-2020, 05:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

I'd like that old turbo badge . . .

I drive the economy version of a premium car, and the premium version of an economy car.
Old 08-18-2020, 05:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Cover the holes up with a type R sticker and be done with it...

The first thing you should do is consider where the badge would go, in relation to the holes that you now have. Whether or not they could be covered up or used is the first consideration. I'll point out that the badge placement on an SC with a 3.3 turbo tail was different than that of an SC with a plain deck lid. So, research that first, then see where the holes fall. You don't want to put a new badge on, only to discover later that you put it in the wrong place.
Old 08-18-2020, 05:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Leave it as is.....it's all the new rage..

'16 BMW R Nine T, '17 BMW G310R, '21 BMW R1250RS
Old 08-18-2020, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
A Marchand fan before you

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidybuoy View Post
Leave it as is.....it's all the new rage..
And we have a winner. The new Porsche motto: Marketing trumps dignity.
Old 08-18-2020, 06:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Checked out

What I do with emblems like that these days is use magnetic tape.
It’s a very thin, flexible magnet with tape on one side.
Grind off the pins on the emblem. Stick the magnetic tape on and trim it to fit.
Then you can put the emblem wherever you want it, take it off for waxing the car, etc.
Old 08-18-2020, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Still here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOO View Post
That's the only correct answer
Beats double sided tape and dental floss in my book !
Old 08-18-2020, 07:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostril Cheese View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigster59 View Post

Nice color!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne 962 View Post
Eh, I would drill new holes - it's not going to affect the value of the car any, as it's already been converted back and forth to other stuff...

The double-sided adhesive stuff doesn't always work out too well..

-Wayne
^^^ They're right you know.......

CONGRATS on your new SC....great car!

Old 08-18-2020, 07:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
911sc , badge , emblem , targa