Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Just a little closer...for a better pic....

Why is so important to get a closer pic of wild animals?

Old 08-16-2020, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
I see you

stupid is as stupid does.

ďThere is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our overthrow. Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence.Ē
Old 08-16-2020, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

We have about 700 free range bison in the Wichita Mountains. Some idiot gets trampled every couple of years.

I did have a close encounter one night. A buddy of mine was camping in Doris campground on the refuge. There is a limit of vehicles at each campsite so I had walk about a half mile from the visitor parking area to his site. About midnight I started to walk back to my car. Then I heard some snorts. I stopped and looked around. I was in the middle of a herd that had bed down and they had given me warning. I eased on out.
Old 08-16-2020, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Banned

Garage
she was trying to pet a calf too

she is now in the hospital with a broken pelvis - kinda feel sorry for her

kinda

Life is NOT a Petting Zoo
Old 08-16-2020, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Darwin missed. No sympathy.
Old 08-16-2020, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Neighbor raised bison. Cows' heads are the size of an double oven. Bull heads are about a refrigerator and almost as smart...I'm sure they're just misunderstood.
Old 08-16-2020, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now in 993 land ...

Garage
Social media of course. You can get close for a picture with a good lens, but people only carry a smartphone and zooming in with it also doesn't work because the have to be taking a selfie.

Remember the "Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas" sign? It has been there for a long time. I recall taking a pic driving by when I was in Vegas for the first time in my life. So, going back with my children I said, let's drive by the sign. I was amazed. It was a total zoo. There was a line of 200 people in a specifically made center divide zone, so they all could wait to stand in front of the sign and take a selfie ... and people were taking their sweet time. I bet it was over an hour wait.

I see more of this foolishness in every national park I visit. People don't go for the experience, they go for the picture and probably are dying to upload it as soon as it is taken. Nuts ...

G
Old 08-16-2020, 10:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Canucks Fan

She's 1 lucky idiot.
Old 08-17-2020, 04:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_morrison57 View Post
She's 1 lucky idiot.
^^X2, looks like she arrived on a Murdercycle.
Old 08-17-2020, 04:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Did the guy running over pull out a pistol and point it at the Bison? Did he think the Bison would be afraid when he saw the pistol? Did he think he would have stopped him without a very well placed round? Most likely would have really pissed him off.
Old 08-17-2020, 04:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_morrison57 View Post
She's 1 lucky idiot.
I sure hope they bill her for the cost of the helicopter ride, and the hospital bill.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 08-17-2020, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
"O"man(are we in trouble)

Ignorance!

People are doing stupid things during covid, seems like they are venturing way out of their realm of comfort, meaning they are doing things they donít know **** about.
Old 08-17-2020, 07:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by widgeon13 View Post
Ignorance!

People are doing stupid things during covid, seems like they are venturing way out of their realm of comfort, meaning they are doing things they donít know **** about.
I dunno...the Tourist vs Bison (home team) matches arenít exactly new and the reigning champs kick ass and take names every time.
Old 08-19-2020, 08:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner or later View Post
We have about 700 free range bison in the Wichita Mountains. Some idiot gets trampled every couple of years.

I did have a close encounter one night. A buddy of mine was camping in Doris campground on the refuge. There is a limit of vehicles at each campsite so I had walk about a half mile from the visitor parking area to his site. About midnight I started to walk back to my car. Then I heard some snorts. I stopped and looked around. I was in the middle of a herd that had bed down and they had given me warning. I eased on out.
The Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge founded in 1901 and is the oldest managed wildlife facility in the USA. It is 59,020 acres. They have a large very sturdy fence on large parts of it to keep in the not very friendly Elk and Buffalo. That is the area you don't want to go visit because the critters back there will kick your butt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wichita_Mountains_Wildlife_Refuge

We were hiking in an area in the "safe" zone and came up on a herd of buffalo. We made sure to move slowly but we kept our eyes on them and eyed a large boulder to climb up on top of.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 08-20-2020, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Hopefully, she got a selfie, It would be nice to see it all from her perspective. Wild ride!
'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R
Old 08-20-2020, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidybuoy View Post
Hopefully, she got a selfie, It would be nice to see it all from her perspective. Wild ride!

Plus.the bison got her pants as a souvenir!
Old 08-20-2020, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej37 View Post
Plus.the bison got her pants as a souvenir!
Those pants coming off was a good thing.

Couple more of those rag doll flops and she could have easily been dead.
Old 08-20-2020, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Unregistered

Old 08-25-2020, 06:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyg2 View Post
Hahahah, ROFLMAO
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 08-25-2020, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Feelin' Solexy

Did anyone else find the commentary in the original video kind of hilarious?
Woman: "she got too close"
Man: "Ya... She sure as f@#* did"

1938 Buick Special model 41, 1963 Solex 2200, 1973 Vespa Primavera 125, 1974 Vespa Rally 200, 1986 VW Vanagon Syncro Westfalia, 1989 VW Doka Tristar, 1997 Boston Whaler Dauntless, 2008 Mini Cooper S, 2010 Mazda CX-9 - in the stable
1989 Porsche 944, 1973 VW Beetle - gone but not forgotten
Old 08-25-2020, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: