Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Earlier in my life, I've enjoyed the live aboard and cruising life for decades.
Had the pleasure of traveling widely in the pacific. A little in the carabean and Indian Ocean.

The freedom of the lifestyle is fading steadily with increasing restrictions and costs being imposed both in the US and internationally.
So planning on increasing costs and loss of Anchoriges, being required to stay in ports and marinas is the coming reality.

The impacts of the Covid virus on the cruising community internationally are extreme. And may accelerate the restrictions, controls and fees already taking place.

It is a wonderful life, making one very in touch with nature. Promotes great self reliance and useful skills.
The cruising community is filled with interesting diverse people that share common challenges , risks and rewards. This is a unifying reality that creates common ground in meeting and interacting with each other. Bridging the usual social , economic and national differences that separates us ashore.

Some of the most amazing young people Ive met are kids being raised onboard with their cruising families.

Cheers Richard

Last edited by tevake; 08-22-2020 at 09:17 AM..
Old 08-22-2020, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Registered

Three daze on a sailboat listening to JB is about all I can take...me or my liver

...."but I don't wanna be a pirate" (Seinfeld reference).
Old 08-22-2020, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Registered

Well the cruising community realy is a small world.
In recent months Ive descovered the video blog connection to the cruising world and have been following a few crews as they travel and now deal with the impacts of the Covid virus on their voyages.
Many are locked down in various anchorages around the world, their papers being held by authorities and all countries within range to continue their voyages closed to entry.

And as time rolls along the seasons change further restricting their choices on how to proceed.

The Wynns are one couple I've been following. They are currently in Fiji trying to get back to their boat in Tonga. To no avail as Tonga is closed to folks flying in.

So while stuck in Fiji they have met Mark, the owner of that steel expedition boat mentioned earlier in this thread. Who invited them to stay aboard with him for now.

Here is a video about Mark and Milinium. Interesting story.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m7_8NtwrGUU

Last edited by tevake; 08-24-2020 at 06:56 AM..
Old 08-24-2020, 06:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC911 View Post
Three daze on a sailboat listening to JB is about all I can take...me or my liver

...."but I don't wanna be a pirate" (Seinfeld reference).
This post actually made sense before AB deleted his
Old 08-24-2020, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
Registered

Above is just one story that comes from the cruising community in these strange times.

Another is that of Brick House, an American boat now in south Africa. The skipper Patrick Chiledress. Noted sailor and author has died of Covid there, leaving his mate Rebecca there now solo on the boat. Trying to sort out how to continue her voyage/ life so far from home.

And another couple that I Have realy enjoyed following along on their adventures in Cruising around the world on Florence.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7HEzZDT87lY

While not as entertaining as many of their videos.
Here they describe the delima many are now finding themselves in.

Cheers Richard
Old 08-24-2020, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
John Walton, of THE Waltons got off the corporate hamster wheel and lived aboard a boat in San Diego harbor for 10ish years. During this time he developed Corsair Marine which built high tech folding trimarans and later Seawind catamarans. I had the good fortune of sailing with him in the 80s. A guy with unlimited resources living a very simple lifestyle.
Old 08-24-2020, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

83 SC

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tevake View Post
Well the cruising community realy is a small world.
In recent months Ive descovered the video blog connection to the cruising world and have been following a few crews as they travel and now deal with the impacts of the Covid virus on their voyages.
Many are locked down in various anchorages around the world, their papers being held by authorities and all countries within range to continue their voyages closed to entry.

And as time rolls along the seasons change further restricting their choices on how to proceed.

The Wynns are one couple I've been following. They are currently in Fiji trying to get back to their boat in Tonga. To no avail as Tonga is closed to folks flying in.

So while stuck in Fiji they have met Mark, the owner of that steel expedition boat mentioned earlier in this thread. Who invited them to stay aboard with him for now.

Here is a video about Mark and Milinium. Interesting story.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m7_8NtwrGUU
very interesting!

a year or so ago i started watching video blogs by people living aboard narrow boats in canals. fascinating to me

my family was always into boats. we lived on the water. still do (in a house, not a boat)

when i was a kid there was a book on the shelf called "how to live aboard a boat". I grabbed it for my bedroom probably 40 years ago and still have it on my shelf.

if not for the winters here, i would be living on a boat now I think

i have the erie canal, lake ontario and the genesee river all within a short bike ride from here.

the winters are long and harsh up here though. even if you could cope, the long sustained freezing temperatures create many additional complications and expenses.
Old 08-24-2020, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonesfreak View Post
very interesting!

a year or so ago i started watching video blogs by people living aboard narrow boats in canals. fascinating to me

my family was always into boats. we lived on the water. still do (in a house, not a boat)

when i was a kid there was a book on the shelf called "how to live aboard a boat". I grabbed it for my bedroom probably 40 years ago and still have it on my shelf.

if not for the winters here, i would be living on a boat now I think

i have the erie canal, lake ontario and the genesee river all within a short bike ride from here.

the winters are long and harsh up here though. even if you could cope, the long sustained freezing temperatures create many additional complications and expenses.
The solution is simple: Winter in the Bahamas or FL keys and summer in the NE. Just have to perfect that remote working environment.
Old 08-24-2020, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonesfreak View Post
very interesting!

a year or so ago i started watching video blogs by people living aboard narrow boats in canals. fascinating to me.
Yes that is another cool boating lifestyle.

Most of England and lots of Europe was crisis crossed with canals for transportation before trains and trucks took over that sort of freight deliveries.

In England the canals were left abandoned until the 1970s. When they were recognized for the recreational resorces they are. They have been recovered and now many folks there enjoy cruising the country in their canal boats.

A traveling Englishman we met in New Zealand. Joined us as crew aboard Tevake for a sail to Tonga. We became good friends. When we were planning a trip to England, he offered for us to stay aboard his canal boat.
It was docked in a canal near Heathrow. He pick us up at the airport for a 10 minutes drive to his boat. We loaded aboard and shoved off for downtown London, aboard Highlander his steel 45' x 8' converted live aboard canal boat.

What an interesting trip, there is a wide green space lining the canals, Insulating you from the urban and industrial sprawling surrounding the city.
Offering walking path with lots of big mature trees, spots for community gardens, lots of ducks, geese and swans swimming around, etc.

We chugged along for a few hours, then stopped in at a pub that has been serving the canal folks for hundereds of years. Had a hearty meal, climbed back aboard and proceeded into the heart of the city. To a spot Very near Padington station. Where we lived aboard and enjoyed the city via the tube and trains.

Our mooring spot was in a wide part of the canal both sides lined with live aboard boats., near an intersection with other canals. Formerly a freight hub lined with ware houses, now converted to nice apartment buildings and shops. A great spot to come home to after fun days in the city.

Just a glimps into another sort of boating lifestyle.

The great loop. That Sun roof mentioned earlier is another interesting cruising possibility to think about. I would like to hear more about that adventure.

Cheers Richard

Last edited by tevake; 08-24-2020 at 11:22 AM..
Old 08-24-2020, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
83 SC

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajundaddy View Post
The solution is simple: Winter in the Bahamas or FL keys and summer in the NE. Just have to perfect that remote working environment.
its not possible for me to work remotely unfortunately

I almost made a move towards this lifestyle back in 2003. I was living in manhattan and wanted to get out so i managed to get an interview at an office in Islamorada. I was offered the job but the pay was so low i couldnt make the numbers work so I declined.

i love the keys and the heat and would never spend winters or summers up here again if i had the choice.

Last edited by ramonesfreak; 08-24-2020 at 12:39 PM..
Old 08-24-2020, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajundaddy View Post
John Walton, of THE Waltons got off the corporate hamster wheel and lived aboard a boat in San Diego harbor for 10ish years.
For a second there, I seriously thought you meant John-Boy from the tv show, since it was based on real people; then I remembered Wal-Mart's a thing. ;-)

Old 08-25-2020, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: