Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

I know nothing about boats but noticed that big old tub. How do they get fresh water on board? They fill it as they go near shore or are there boats that come fill these things?

Old 08-19-2020, 11:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Both boats have onboard RO water makers that produce fresh water from sea water. They require a lot of energy but are surprisingly effective.
Old 08-19-2020, 11:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Registered

I think I would love that life if I were single, just cruising wherever my mood took me, but no paying client passengers allowed.
Old 08-20-2020, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by look 171 View Post
....How do they get fresh water on board?
Watch the video, he explains how they 'make' fresh water. Even talks about how much they can 'make' in a day.
Old 08-20-2020, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Counterclockwise?

Garage
Very cool.
But there is a reason he is single.
A bunch of stuff with spark plugs
Old 08-20-2020, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Registered

Whew you know how much work that old girl is? Don't for a second think that guys is living the life of the idle rich. That boat is clearly not Bristol but it takes a lot of work to keep it looking that bad.

That being said I would take that life in a second.
Old 08-20-2020, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by look 171 View Post
how do you get to that page or that "share" thing?
This is on a desktop.

Old 08-20-2020, 07:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
If you are on a PC, right click the video and choose copy embed code. Paste in your post.

"Don't get so caught up in your right to dissent that you forget your obligation to contribute." Mrs. James to her son Chappie.
Old 08-20-2020, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
^^^^
Yeah! what he said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonesfreak View Post
why can i never embed youtube videos on this site
If you're using Windows, right click the video, click "copy embed code" and paste it in your comment. Boom! Video
Old 08-20-2020, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabmando View Post
^^^^
Yeah! what he said!

If you're using Windows, right click the video, click "copy embed code" and paste it in your comment. Boom! Video
Ha. There I learned something. Fewer steps.
Old 08-20-2020, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Hell Belcho

Used to date a gal who had a sailboat. What a waste of time keeping that thing maintained. And it had a fiberglass hull.

An old wood boat like that... Thats a HARD life vs. the pleasure you get out of it.
Old 08-20-2020, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Registered

I am one of those guys you hear about on occasion if your a sailor and want to liveaboard and cruise. Yep, back in the early 80's I quit my job, sold my home and just about all possessions and bought a Coronado 35 sloop rigged sailboat in St. Augustine, Florida. With my wife and then three year old son we set out to explore the coast of America via the Intracoastal Waterway (ICW) and coastwise sailing. It was an adventure of a lifetime.

If you are adventurous and want to explore the USA via its lakes and waterways, Google THE GREAT LOOP and read first hand about the many who have journeyed along this little known water trail around the eastern half of the USA. For starters, lets say we begin in Jacksonville, Florida where you are ready to travel north up the ICW up through the Carolina's, Chesapeake, New York and up the Hudson River where you turn left on the Erie Canal. You will travel through the great lock system and into the Great Lakes where you eventually enter Lake Michigan and head south to the City of Chicago. You enter the Chicago River (max clearance from those bridges downtown is only 17 feet, so its mast down on a sailboat), through the Illinois Barge Canal to the Mississippi River. Heading south you can go all the way to New Orleans or take the Tombigbee Waterway through Alabama and exit at Mobile. This will be your first run in open Ocean (Gulf of Mexico) where you can hug the Florida coastline, cut through Lake Okeechobee at Fort Myers to Stuart, Florida or make a direct run down the coast to the Keys and around back up Florida to Jacksonville where CONGRATULATIONS you just navigated the GREAT LOOP!

Their are books, clubs, meetings and organizations dedicated to this magnificent route and the lifestyle. Its all laid out for you and you can take as long as you wish you complete. Many will leave boats in dry dock for the winter along the way to continue in the spring as you have to travel based on season. Folks have done this on runabouts and pontoon boats to large Trawlers (remember that height restriction). Sailboats have been popular because with the mast down (when you get to the Erie Canal), a small three or four cylinder diesel costs less to operate and gets you farther on a tank.

So, check it out and get the hell out there!!

Bob
Catalina 30 Mark II
Breezin II
Lake Lanier, GA
Old 08-21-2020, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
One of the guys I knew 30+ years ago bought a decent size boat, and had it trucked to Muskogee, OK and sailed it down to the Gulf of Mexico, around Florida, and up the inter-coastal waterways and all the way to PEI in Canada, back down to the great lakes, and over to Duluth, MN. It took him several years and at times he had to hire a commercial pilot for that area.

I heard about his adventure 30 years ago or so at a party, so details are sketchy.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 08-21-2020, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Dog-faced pony soldier

Garage
That boat is beautiful in my eyes. A real relic and something that shows class and craft. What a cool way to live!
Old 08-21-2020, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage
I've had lots of up close and personal experience w/ old wooden boats
they are not for the faint of heart, lazy or financially fragile owner

Old 08-21-2020, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I had the pleasure of sailing on a few 100 yr old wooden boats, one of which was the Vanderbilt family's Diosa Del Mar. They were works of art but I believe all of them have since found the bottom of the ocean for one reason or another.
Old 08-21-2020, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Feelin' Solexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Verburg View Post
I've had lots of up close and personal experience w/ old wooden boats
they are not for the faint of heart, lazy or financially fragile owner
+1
Here in Seattle we have the Center for Wooden Boats and every summer there is a wooden boat festival where all of the coolest old (and some not so old) wooden boats show up. I've had the privilege to tour a few of these thanks to very friendly owners and they are incredible... but hearing from the owners about the cost/time associated with keeping one of these in good trim is eye-opening. I think I'll stick to tin can and clorox bottle boats
1938 Buick Special model 41, 1963 Solex 2200, 1973 Vespa Primavera 125, 1974 Vespa Rally 200, 1986 VW Vanagon Syncro Westfalia, 1989 VW Doka Tristar, 1997 Boston Whaler Dauntless, 2008 Mini Cooper S, 2010 Mazda CX-9 - in the stable
1989 Porsche 944, 1973 VW Beetle - gone but not forgotten
Old 08-21-2020, 09:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostril Cheese View Post
Used to date a gal who had a sailboat. What a waste of time keeping that thing maintained. And it had a fiberglass hull.

An old wood boat like that... Thats a HARD life vs. the pleasure you get out of it.
You don't get it. Half the pleasure is the work. Not really much different than our old P-cars. A new Mustang, Camaro is a whole lot less maintenance.
Old 08-22-2020, 02:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Registered

I watched this 80 year old 72' schooner being restored over 2 decades in Jax...it now resides in San Diego harbor. I could never live on a boat.... nope! Another buddy lived on his 30'er for about a year (Green Cove Springs & Jax)... not just no.....hell no
Old 08-22-2020, 02:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Dog-faced pony soldier

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcoastline View Post
You don't get it. Half the pleasure is the work. Not really much different than our old P-cars. A new Mustang, Camaro is a whole lot less maintenance.
Yea but you can’t run people over at Cars n’ Coffee with a sailboat. 🤭

I love the idea of selling all my crap and getting a sailboat for retirement, then exploring until I can’t. I know a few people they’ve done the live aboard thing and it’s a really cool way to live IMO. Once the kids are grow’d up and on their own perhaps...

Old 08-22-2020, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: