Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Too much steak:

Let’s say, for the sake of argument, that you won a years worth of high quality steaks, delivered fresh weekly. You like steak, so you ate it 4-5 times a week, every week, for dinner along w a salad or sometimes a vegetable.

What would be the negative health consequences of eating that much red meat? Let’s say that you’re ~60 years old and not overweight. Because that is the way I’ve been eating most of this year at the cabin and it’s just dawned on me that I might be doing harm to myself. I know that most doctors will tell you to limit red meat, eat a varied diet of lean meat .org no meat, etc.

I like steak and it’s easy to cook on the gas grille plus I don’t have a great repertoire of cooking skill to make other meals. At home in L.A., it’s easy to mix in some vegan meals w my steak habit, eat a more varied diet. FWIW, I feel great.

Last edited by speeder; 09-05-2020 at 08:17 AM..
Old 09-04-2020, 07:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

I have a good size steak once a year or two. Most of my meat intake is chicken. Pork or beef is usually chopped up in much small amount and mixed into my diet like salad. Doc suggest we all cut back in red meat to keep the pipes clean. There are lots of marbling in steak, I know, I know, that's what makes it so damn good. That will kill ya.
Old 09-04-2020, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

I had a minor stroke when I turned 40. One day, out of the blue, I had a bit difficultly moving my foot. I couldn't draw a circle on the ground when I got up in the morning. I had a splitting headache. I don't drink, smoke, or drugs but have a beer with the occasional Mexican food but love my burgers, burritos and Thai foods. Spent a week in the hospital and they couldn't find anything after going through all type of testing they can think of. Doc leaned over said, " I can tell you are type A, so stop it or it will eat you alive". A couple days later, I am back to normal. No symptoms, thank goodness. He also said, no more red meat and cut down on carbs. My diet was mostly rice, pasta, and potatoes. I had only two burgers since. But damn, were they delicious. I go very easy on the red meats now. Since then, I got back on my bike and slowly got away from working on the west side for those entertainment folks.
Old 09-04-2020, 08:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Sounds like a good way to get a tripple bypass. We switched to turkey chop meat in everything years ago could hardly tell the difference. Now when we have beef we're all lethargic and feel weird. At 60 you should start cutting alot of things out including beef or its going to catch up to you real soon
Old 09-04-2020, 08:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche930dude View Post
Sounds like a good way to get a tripple bypass. We switched to turkey chop meat in everything years ago could hardly tell the difference. Now when we have beef we're all lethargic and feel weird. At 60 you should start cutting alot of things out including beef or its going to catch up to you real soon
I hear buffalo mean is more lean then turkey and taste better then beef.
Old 09-04-2020, 08:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
King Broinyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by look 171 View Post
I hear buffalo mean is more lean then turkey and taste better then beef.
I once got 30lbs of buffalo meat as a promotion for buying a set of new tires. Yes, its very good.
Old 09-04-2020, 08:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

"They say" it can increase chances of some cancers (colorectal), heart problems, increase chances of kidney stones (had one of those once - no thanks), etc., etc. I would think it's like anything else where the idea of "everything in moderation" is the best route to follow. Maybe you could freeze a decent amount & stretch out the supply. I had ground buffalo in my enchaladas last night. Of course I couldn't tell the difference.
Old 09-04-2020, 08:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Have you ever been to Argentina ?
Typical lunch...steak
Typical dinner steak
Typical restaurant. Steak
Typical first course. Melted cheese .

Vegetables are few and far between, a palm salad is typical...sPinich if you are lucky
The biggest decision is what cut of steak.

At lunchtime you will see grandmothers and great grandmothers gobbling down...steak
Chicken is rare, pork is rare,and although on the coast, seafood is rare..at least in Buenos Aires

Argentina has the world's second-highest consumption rate of beef, with yearly consumption at 55 kg per person.

And the lifespan..76 years average

Last edited by Ziggythecat; 09-04-2020 at 11:30 PM..
Old 09-04-2020, 10:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
durn for'ner

You are all good, Denis. No worries. Meat and sallad is excellent. Its all the carbohydrates from bread, pasta and such that should be cut down along with all the highly processed food from fastfood and cakes.
Oh and the odd glass of wine wonīt kill you either.

Carrera '85
Old 09-04-2020, 11:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Red meat is good for you.

Green & fuzzy meat is bad for you.
Old 09-04-2020, 11:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Steak 4-5 times a week for a year? God god, I wouldn't be able to move.
Old 09-05-2020, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
Eat it with red wine and have oatmeal for breakfast, it will be fine.

You know that you don't have to eat it all yourself right? You don't have any friends that you can grill steaks and have dinner with them, seriously?
Old 09-05-2020, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
UnRegistered User

Garage
If I had that much steak coming to the house free, no doubt I would eat a lot of it.
I would also invest in a vacuum sealer. Package some of that and you will probably have enough steak for two years!
I use one for my bulk buys before storing in the freezer and the meat keeps really well.
And I sold a bunch of parts I hadn't installed yet.
Old 09-05-2020, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggythecat View Post
Have you ever been to Argentina ?
Typical lunch...steak
Typical dinner steak
Typical restaurant. Steak
Typical first course. Melted cheese .

Vegetables are few and far between, a palm salad is typical...sPinich if you are lucky
The biggest decision is what cut of steak.

At lunchtime you will see grandmothers and great grandmothers gobbling down...steak
Chicken is rare, pork is rare,and although on the coast, seafood is rare..at least in Buenos Aires

Argentina has the world's second-highest consumption rate of beef, with yearly consumption at 55 kg per person.

And the lifespan..76 years average
Mongolians eat much the same diet. I think I've been told that they eat a diet consisting of well over 90% red meat. I had the pleasure of spending a good deal of time there while I was still working, and that is certainly what I ran up against. Beef in some form for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Thank God they have no shortage of ways to prepare it but, even then, after months on that kind of a diet it gets pretty old. They do appear to be very healthy people, though. I don't remember seeing anywhere near the numbers of overweight people I see here, in Europe, the British Isles, and other places. Maybe because, even though they eat red meat at every meal, they show some restraint and don't gorge themselves on it. And they tend to be very active as well.

So, Denis, I don't think I would worry too much about it. You are an active, fit, healthy guy. Just eat reasonable portions and enjoy it.
"God invented whiskey so the Irish wouldn't rule the world"
Old 09-05-2020, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Ok, Iím sorry if I misled anyone, I did not actually win a yearís supply of steaks. I was just trying to paint a picture of how much steak Iíve been eating this year. I buy it at the store, along w everything else I eat. Almost exclusively New York steaks...ribeyes have too much fat for me.

Thatís what, Ēfor the sake of argument...,Ē actually means. But I digress.

So there is no issue w not having friends, (I do), or needing to vacuum seal and freeze it. My heart was in great shape the last time I had it checked, (maybe a year ago), but cholesterol is still an issue as it is w everyone.

The main issue is that Iím not much of a cook and Iíve been staying in a cabin in the woods w a gas grille right outside the door. Itís been a tasty year but I think I need to wind it down on the steak while Iím ahead.
Old 09-05-2020, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
As I gotten older, I enjoy steak less and less. Itís been decades since I put an entire steak on a plate and gotten after it. Decades.

Now? Maybe twice a month; Iíll buy a thick quality steak from a butcher. White coat, mustache, knit hat....you know the guy. (Or gal - sans mustache)

I serve it family style. Slice it into thin pieces, lay it out and my wife and I will pick at it with a bowl of rice and a platter of small cut veggies - chopsticks.

It works out nicely. Satisfying, less expensive, easier to digest, all that stuff.
Old 09-05-2020, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
Just keep doing what you are doing. Beef is high quality protein. Like I said above, just eat oatmeal or something like that. Keep on with the cowboy diet and have them check your cholesterol next time you go to the doctor.

On second thought, you probably are like me and everyone else who only go to the doctor when you are sick. You are not the sickly type though, so you probably don't talk to the doc much. It apparently has you concerned, maybe get some lab work done, cholesterol and LFT(liver function tests) As long as the cholesterol is not too high and your liver is working right, forget about it.
Old 09-05-2020, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
UnRegistered User

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vash View Post
As I gotten older, I enjoy steak less and less. Itís been decades since I put an entire steak on a plate and gotten after it. Decades.

Now? Maybe twice a month; Iíll buy a thick quality steak from a butcher. White coat, mustache, knit hat....you know the guy. (Or gal - sans mustache)

I serve it family style. Slice it into thin pieces, lay it out and my wife and I will pick at it with a bowl of rice and a platter of small cut veggies - chopsticks.

It works out nicely. Satisfying, less expensive, easier to digest, all that stuff.
Plus you usually have leftovers that haven't been on someones plate! I serve our steaks this way too.
And I sold a bunch of parts I hadn't installed yet.
Old 09-05-2020, 09:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered

Interesting thread. Also interesting that two docs (Tobra and Livi) weighed in here and said it was not only fine, but healthy.

I am no doc, but very interested in nutrition. My research and experience seems to be leaning towards the hypothesis that it is the presence of sugar and refined carbohydrates that actually cause the negative effects of red meat, saturated fat and cholesterol in the body. The inflammatory response from sugar and insulin activity, in conjunction with the presence of high blood fats from meat, is what creates the chronic and damaging physiological risks.

But, high quality (this is key) meats, along with cruciferous vegetables like broccoli and cauliflower, are not only "ok", but possibly optimal, as long as you minimize sugar and refined carbohydrates.

YMMV.

JA
Old 09-05-2020, 10:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud

This is what every refrigerator in the world should look like.

It doesn't look like that currently, but it is my refrigerator.

Old 09-05-2020, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: