Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
If you have the means...

...I highly recommend picking this one up:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1957-mercedes-benz-300sl-gullwing/

Last bid at time of post was just under $900k and reserve still not met.

Old 09-12-2020, 07:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Nice!
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 09-12-2020, 07:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Nice car.

Didn't Mark have one of these?
Old 09-13-2020, 12:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
Yes Mark had a red one... (and a gorgeous wife)

CURRENT BID: $899,999 ENDS IN: 13 days!!! - Nice car but Yikes.
Old 09-13-2020, 01:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
A Man of Wealth and Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_rufctr View Post

But did he have a Black Audi...

"Some Observer"
Old 09-13-2020, 03:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I had a black Audi wagon once - great car when sorted - but it was no gullwing...
Old 09-13-2020, 07:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
I like how lighting picks up different hues in the paint.

Grey, blue and even a touch of green. Probably the camera changing the color.

Beautiful car.
Old 09-13-2020, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_rufctr View Post

Why yikes?

You must not follow the collector car market. These have been 7-figure cars for a while and this is a low bid. It will rise a lot before the hammer drops.
Old 09-13-2020, 09:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I had the 930 at a concourse once and the guy next to me had a gullwing. He paid 1.4 million for the car the day before and had the car transported from the seller directly to the concourse. The car won best in show. See money can buy happiness
Old 09-13-2020, 08:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Mark’s was nice, plus I enjoyed the other pics he posted too
Old 09-13-2020, 10:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

I would buy a car for $50k and put the rest into real estate. At times in my life I have had that kind of money available to me. Never once did I think a car was the right place to use it.
Old 09-14-2020, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

The 300SL is one of my all-time favorite cars.

I remember back in the 90's, when I was in high school/college and they were selling for a couple hundred thousand dollars. Most people thought I was crazy for wanting such an old, obscure car. I used to hope that maybe they would drop in value enough that I could one day buy one.

I interned in college at an insurance company that insured one that the owner had totaled in Nevada--so some of them were still being driven back then. (IIRC, it was valued around $450,000.) I imagine that most of the examples out there now are fully restored show queens whose engines are rarely started. I imagine that most parts have been NLA for decades.

I had an '85 300D from 1999-2000. I remember that certain parts were getting hard to obtain around that time for that car. Prior to that I had only owned domestics and was used to being able to get any part for decades after production.

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 09-14-2020, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
Quote:
Originally Posted by legion View Post
The 300SL is one of my all-time favorite cars.
it is my ALL-TIME favorite car. that documentary about Bob Sima's car at the Bonneville salt flats sealed the deal in my mind.

it is so unattainable it is beyond fantasy for me.
Old 09-14-2020, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Back around 2000 - 2005 I used to work with a company that allowed me to attend all of the races at Laguna Seca and I remember someone would show up at the Monterey Historics with a pair of them and proceed to run them at full bore every year. Even then they were incredibly expensive but it was great to watch someone with the means and comfort to run them as they were meant to be run. Stunning cars.
Old 09-14-2020, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

I used to dream of financially unobtainable cars. Today? Nope. The fantasy would be a private pool hall...filled with tables for every version of cue sport. Would take a ton of floor space...

A 300SL Gullwing tale from years back. There was a local cruise-in sponsored by a radio station here. The station DJ was a friend who requested I bring my 911S. Didn't want to be the only P-car there, so I reached out to a couple of friends...one brought his 914. I was hoping the other would bring his '58 Speedster... But no, he & his bride showed in their '56 Gullwing, all original, complete with fitted luggage and the rudge knock off wheels.

I'll never forget one guy rushing up with a car value magazine in his hands: "This is a replica, right? It says right here an original is worth..." Friend was gracious, said something like "Isn't that crazy?"

Surprised me a bit...the street rod set loved the car. Voted people's choice.

Last edited by pwd72s; 09-14-2020 at 11:27 AM..
Old 09-14-2020, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwd72s View Post
I'll never forget one guy rushing up with a car value magazine in his hands: "This is a replica, right? It says right here an original is worth..." Friend was gracious, said something like "Isn't that crazy?"
That's cool.

I was in the Mandarin Oriental in SF and senior couple get on the elevator with me. Woman has a diamond the size of your head. I said OMG, that is beautiful. Husband says "It's not real. It's CZ." Wife gets one of them grins on her face and says "It's real". Oh, it was real. They were oozing class. I was just there on Big Oil's dime.
Old 09-14-2020, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Late 50’s my dad was a geologist in Wichita Falls Texas. Numerous oil companies there. He had a coffee drinking buddy that was a chemist for Texaco. A batchelor who had a Gullwing. They used his car to experiment with different octanes. Around 1960 he got married and offered it too my dad for the ungodly price of 5k it was afterall 5 or 6. We actually got to take a ride in it but my dad wanted a private plane instead and passed. Beautiful silver with red leather. Woulda coulda shoulda.
Old 09-14-2020, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Anybody know if the street versions had the desmodromic valve actuators like their race brothers?

I suspect no and I'm not asking to formulate a bid. Just curious.

Last edited by Bob Kontak; 09-14-2020 at 12:24 PM..
Old 09-14-2020, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
a.k.a. G-man

Garage
That is one fine automobile.
Of the drop dead gorgeous variety.
32C Member #41

1986 911 3.2 Carrera (not stock)
1974 911 2.7 9114102230 SOLD
Old 09-14-2020, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeder View Post
Why yikes?

You must not follow the collector car market. These have been 7-figure cars for a while and this is a low bid. It will rise a lot before the hammer drops.
I'm well aware what these cars are worth but the grey car is a ground up restoration.

Original and unrestored.

Old 09-14-2020, 11:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: