Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Itís just a tool....

Ms Rocket asked me to help her with a drawer to a dresser she was working on to sell. The bottom of the drawer was gone and I was making a new to fit. I also had to rebuild the drawer itself, as the dovetails were falling apart.

So, as Iím fitting and glueing everything together, I ask for one of my bar clamps. She brings one over and Iím speechless. I ask, whatís the deal with the paint?

Itís just a tool, she said....

Iíve not been happy for years and this kind of **** doesnít help. Itís not the first time either. You donít **** with a manís tools.

Old 10-05-2020, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

What’s the deal with the divorce?
It’s just a tool...
Old 10-05-2020, 06:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Use one of her pots or pans in the garage for some task. When she goes ballistic, say ďitís just a panĒ.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 10-05-2020, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Good tools are important, and caring for them is paramount, but you might want to consider whether you’re wound a bit too tight. It is just a clamp, and while the texture of having paint on it is annoying, the color doesn’t affect its function.
Old 10-05-2020, 07:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Retired, finally

Garage
Would have been a whole lot easier to get off before it dried........

Reminds me: my fiance and I have our separate houses 30 miles apart but she comes over every weekend and I go there sometimes during the week since I retired. Anyway a few months back I loaned her one of my 2' bar clamps to fix a chair seat. She never brought it back.

Then I needed 2 bar clamps for a project so I called her and asked her to bring it that weekend. "What bar clamp? I brought it back". So I turned my house and shop upside down for 2 weeks looking for it. Nope. I made do with a 5' clamp but it was awkward.

About 2 months later she tripped over it in her utility room. Still took her another 2 weeks to get it back.

Never loan tools.
2009 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S; 1999 E36 M3 Coupe; 1998 Porsche Boxster; 1989 Toyota Supra ChumpCar; 1989 Alfa Romeo Spider; 1977 Porsche 911S Targa 3.2L"Bwunhilde II" chimera; 1970 Datsun 240Z 2.9L "dogZilla" project
Old 10-05-2020, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM View Post
Good tools are important, and caring for them is paramount, but you might want to consider whether youíre wound a bit too tight. It is just a clamp, and while the texture of having paint on it is annoying, the color doesnít affect its function.
While just a clamp, itís a sample of what sheís done with some of my tools. Fortunately, not my good ones (theyíre locked in my Matco toolbox).

What pisses me off is, if Iím working on a piece of her furniture and put a tool on it gently, she blows a head gasket and says I donít respect her stuff. Thatís why I tell her to fix it BEFORE painting it.

Obviously, our days are numbered and Iím ok with it.

Cie la vie.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
Damn. Sorry to hear.

It would appear that you are mad at your wife, and it really isnít about the tool.

Best wishes friend.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
The Unsettler

Send a message via AIM to stomachmonkey
Old 10-05-2020, 08:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Bummer man.

BTDT do not want too again as it is not pleasant.

Good luck.
Old 10-05-2020, 09:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
You have a concern, she utterly dismissed it. The tool isn’t the issue, it’s that lack of respect.
Old 10-06-2020, 12:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Best thing I learned in college.

Conflict and communication has two levels. Level A is the thing you argue about. Paint. Level B is what the underlying message is. You treat (me) my tools poorly.

Good luck. My wife and I often talk about what the level B message is.
Old 10-06-2020, 04:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by A930Rocket View Post
Quote:
You donít **** with a manís tools.
Sounds like she won't be touching your tool again.
Old 10-06-2020, 05:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Did you get the memo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vash View Post
Damn. Sorry to hear.

It would appear that you are mad at your wife, and it really isnít about the tool.

Best wishes friend.
Well said. Best wishes for a happy resolution.
Old 10-06-2020, 05:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
I see you

Quote:
While just a clamp, itís a sample of what sheís done with some of my tools. Fortunately, not my good ones (theyíre locked in my Matco toolbox).

What pisses me off is, if Iím working on a piece of her furniture and put a tool on it gently, she blows a head gasket and says I donít respect her stuff. Thatís why I tell her to fix it BEFORE painting it.

Cie la vie.
At least she didn't toss your shoebox full of vintage baseball cards into the garbage. AMHIK.

ďThere is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our overthrow. Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence.Ē
Old 10-06-2020, 05:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Seriously though, I'm in the 'wound too tight' camp, and as others have said, there's more going on here.

For your own mental health you should think about what 's really bothering you. I'm speaking from experience here....

Or you simply forgot to use the green font.
Old 10-06-2020, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

No way would my wife ever borrow a tool of mine without some discussion first. She'd use one of three approaches to start the conversation:

1. "I want to do X, how would you do it?"
2. "Do you have an X that I could borrow?"
3. "Could you do X for me?"

If she did paint over a clamp, she'd probably have it cleaned before she told me about it. If she couldn't clean it right away, she would tell me and ask how to clean it up. And honestly, I wouldn't be angry with her if she did because it would be an honest mistake that she's trying to fix.

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 10-06-2020, 06:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
Quote:
Originally Posted by legion View Post
No way would my wife ever borrow a tool of mine without some discussion first. She'd use one of three approaches to start the conversation:

1. "I want to do X, how would you do it?"
2. "Do you have an X that I could borrow?"
3. "Could you do X for me?"

If she did paint over a clamp, she'd probably have it cleaned before she told me about it. If she couldn't clean it right away, she would tell me and ask how to clean it up. And honestly, I wouldn't be angry with her if she did because it would be an honest mistake that she's trying to fix.
I have a bunch of tools, I kinda donít consider them ďmineĒ. If wife wants to use them, have at it. No permission necessary. I try to draw very few ďlines in the sandĒ in my relationship. Just stuff.
Old 10-06-2020, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vash View Post
I have a bunch of tools, I kinda donít consider them ďmineĒ. If wife wants to use them, have at it. No permission necessary. I try to draw very few ďlines in the sandĒ in my relationship. Just stuff.
My wife has many specialized tools for scrapbooking, sewing, and crafting. I ask her permission/expertise when I think I need one of her tools. I usually walk her through what I'm doing and get her judgment on whether it will damage the tool. It's what works for us.

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 10-06-2020, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

If you're unhappy, and you think there's only one way forward, but you're waiting because it's going to be a pain in the rear, you're probably just making it worse.

If you're this unhappy, she's probably unhappy too. If you both get more and more unhappy, my opinion is that it's just going to get more and more ugly the longer you wait.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 10-06-2020, 07:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Used User

Looks to me to be the HF version of a "F" clamp. If so, it isn't a tool, it's something to use to beat on something else. Give the damn thing to your wife and go buy a Bessy. If she complains about the cost of replacing a $4.99 clamp with a $29.99 clamp, then you go over the cost of her cookware.

Old 10-06-2020, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: