Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

for a little more money, I buy a jointer unless you want the satisfy of wood shavings. Its a ton of fun.

Out here, there are a ton of these thing used. I look for it on Craigslist in TX and found little for sale. Maybe people don't use craigslist anymore? I don't have facebook, an I know there's a huge for sale section there?

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/tls/d/lancaster-jointer/7282445095.html

Take a bit of truing up but they are simple tools and will last a long time.

Old 02-26-2021, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #301 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by look 171 View Post
for a little more money, I buy a jointer unless you want the satisfy of wood shavings. Its a ton of fun.

Out here, there are a ton of these thing used. I look for it on Craigslist in TX and found little for sale. Maybe people don't use craigslist anymore? I don't have facebook, an I know there's a huge for sale section there?

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/tls/d/lancaster-jointer/7282445095.html

Take a bit of truing up but they are simple tools and will last a long time.
$120, wow, that's crazy.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 02-26-2021, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #302 (permalink)
Used User

Yeah, some really good hand planes can cost 120. I think I mentioned a hand held power plane here somewhere. Most nae brand manufacturers have one. My Makita came with its own stand making it a 3 1/4" jointer. The bed is about a foot, so doing long stock is not easy without some featherboards, ect. But great all around tool.

I have a whole collection of hand planes all the way out to a No. 7 (the big boy). I use a 4 1/2 mostly, but if I don't really need to use a hand plane, I avoid them. Like Jeff says, it's for the satisfaction of a zen kind of thing. It's not how you get a lot of work done in a time frame/

Steve, thanks for the link/bump!
Old 02-26-2021, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #303 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
Yeah, some really good hand planes can cost 120. I think I mentioned a hand held power plane here somewhere. Most nae brand manufacturers have one. My Makita came with its own stand making it a 3 1/4" jointer. The bed is about a foot, so doing long stock is not easy without some featherboards, ect. But great all around tool.
Yes, you absolutely did mention the handheld power plane earlier in this thread, and I haven't forgotten. I've seen old planes advertised online for anywhere from $20 up to 200, and I think some can end up even more expensive.
Quote:
I have a whole collection of hand planes all the way out to a No. 7 (the big boy). I use a 4 1/2 mostly, but if I don't really need to use a hand plane, I avoid them. Like Jeff says, it's for the satisfaction of a zen kind of thing. It's not how you get a lot of work done in a time frame/
Right, and that's mostly my desire. I'm sure that would occasionally use them. It would be a combination of a zen thing and a connection to the past and how things were done.

I've got an old Stanley Handyman plane that was my grandfathers. Those are apparently very unloved, but it works, and there's the sentimental connection. I've also got a block plane that I think may have been in our previous home when we moved in. Then Look171 sent me a rabbet/shoulder plane and a router plane which I'm very excited about. I'd like to round out my collection with a long fella #6 or 7 and eventually a 4.5 (maybe then convert the handyman into a scrub plane).

Quote:
Steve, thanks for the link/bump!
Absolutely. I'm keeping up with your videos and learning stuff at the same time. I'm glad that you've started making them again. Your video editing is getting better too.
Old 02-26-2021, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #304 (permalink)
Registered

I'll just drop this link with no comment...

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/tools/hand-tools/planes
Old 02-26-2021, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #305 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990C4S View Post
I'll just drop this link with no comment...

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/tools/hand-tools/planes
Right, Veritas is very proud of their planes. I'd love to just go crazy with the credit card, but it's not going to happen.

I'd be perfectly happy to get something old and crusty, but solid and complete and then clean, sharpen, true it up.
Old 02-26-2021, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #306 (permalink)

Back in the saddle again

This is interesting on FB, but obviously, not the whole story.

Quote:
Lots of vintage woodworking hand pland and hand tool. Lots of stuff drawknifes, spokeshave, chisels, hand drills. I have stanley no.5s a no.06 ohio tool plane. No.7 stanleys a no.8 stanley. Scrub plane, bull nose plane. Also lots of vintage craftsman and Dunlap 25ea. Interested in anything ill let you know a price.

Clearly, this guy has "$25" listed, and that's for the junk.

At least this one seems realistic.

Quote:
have four Stanley hand planes for sale, which all are in good condition. They would make great working planes or just add to a collection. These have been stored inside in my handtools cabinet and haven't been used by me (I have others I use in my shop).

I know the values of each plane but will work out a deal for Christmas. I can send you more pictures or you can come by and see. I do have a few more planes that I may add for sale.

Up for sale is:
- Stanley No. 6 type 8 $100

- Stanley Bailey No. 5 type 11 $90

- Stanley Bailey No. 5 1/4 $100

- Stanley Bailey No. 4 type 17 (with
steel adjuster nut) $70

I did a search for "jointer" and didn't find anything on FB. When I checked CL, I found a couple of old Craftsman parts that were $250 and 325. They looked like they were 50 years old.
Old 02-26-2021, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #307 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Later this year, once we get in and get some stuff fixed, and get done with kids weddings and house purchases and the like, and the missus sees that I'm actually producing, I'll probably have more time and leeway to start shopping for sale listings.
Old 02-26-2021, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #308 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

And I want a brace too. My grandparents gave me one when I was about 6 or 7. No idea where it is, so probably gone.
Old 02-26-2021, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #309 (permalink)
Registered

Well, if you ask , maybe you shall receive.

I have a stupid egg beater drill somewhere? I saw it long ago brought in from one of the old guy that used to work for me. Not sure we have it, but as far as I remember, we needed to drill a hole in a very narrow space where a regular drill wouldn't fit. At that time, they didn't have all the fancy drill attachments as least I am not aware of any? Brace you say, and all along I thought you were only interested in planes and scrapers? I bought one somewhere long ago when I crazy about old woodworking tools. Good excuse for me to clean house and look for them. Hang tight, Steve, it may be a few months?

Yankee screwdriver?

They would look great in someone else's showcase then inside the dusty old boxes on top of my shelves

Last edited by look 171; 02-26-2021 at 01:10 PM..
Old 02-26-2021, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #310 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Well, if you ask , maybe you shall receive.

I have a stupid egg beater drill somewhere? I saw it long ago brought in from one of the old guy that used to work for me. Not sure we have it, but as far as I remember, we needed to drill a hole in a very narrow space where a regular drill wouldn't fit. At that time, they didn't have all the fancy drill attachments as least I am not aware of any? Brace you say, and all along I thought you were only interested in planes and scrapers? I bought one somewhere long ago when I crazy about old woodworking tools. Good excuse for me to clean house and look for them. Hang tight, Steve, it may be a few months?

Yankee screwdriver?

They would look great in someone else's showcase then inside the dusty old boxes on top of my shelves
I really wasn't whining about wanting stuff to get free stuff, I swear!

If at any point in the future, you find them and are really jonesing for a trip to the post office, I won't tell you "no," but you've already been more than generous. If/when you are ready, let me know. Our address is changing to the new property next week.

I'd never heard of or seen a "yankee screwdriver" before about 2 weeks ago when I read this scan of an article from "The Woodworker" from May 1916.

https://blog.lostartpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/screws-and-screwdrivers.pdf

Last edited by masraum; 02-26-2021 at 01:55 PM..
Old 02-26-2021, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #311 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by masraum View Post
I really wasn't whining about wanting stuff to get free stuff, I swear!

If at any point in the future, you find them and are really jonesing for a trip to the post office, I won't tell you "no," but you've already been more than generous. If/when you are ready, let me know. Our address is changing to the new property next week.

I'd never heard of or seen a "yankee screwdriver" before about 2 weeks ago when I read this scan of an article from "The Woodworker" from May 1916.

https://blog.lostartpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/screws-and-screwdrivers.pdf
I am jsut funning wit ya about the whining

Its better if you put them to good use then my wishing to have time to build a showcase to house my old hand tools. I am done with them. A change of heart is a load off just knowing I don't have to build a showcase anymore. Give me a couple months, I will dig em out for ya

It is my pleasure to send them to you even though I have to go to the post office. There are plenty of them here BTW, so its no big deal. Give me your new address.

Hey thanks for the peppers. They are great.
Old 02-26-2021, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #312 (permalink)
Registered

Years ago I used an eggbeater drill pretty regularly for plaster, small holes. Once the battery drills arrived I retired the eggbeater.
Old 02-27-2021, 05:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #313 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990C4S View Post
Years ago I used an eggbeater drill pretty regularly for plaster, small holes. Once the battery drills arrived I retired the eggbeater.
Wow.

I hear that a brace will be a good way to drill dog holes in a work bench.
Old 02-27-2021, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #314 (permalink)
Registered

A zillion years ago, when I was a kid, I used a brace.

Can't think of ANY good reason to use one today. If you want a decent hole, that's not what to use to make it.

I tend to leave crap like that to the YouTube guys.
Old 02-27-2021, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #315 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by javadog View Post
A zillion years ago, when I was a kid, I used a brace.

Can't think of ANY good reason to use one today. If you want a decent hole, that's not what to use to make it.

I tend to leave crap like that to the YouTube guys.
Where's the fun in that!
Old 02-27-2021, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #316 (permalink)
Registered

A brace drills a rough hole. It rips up the wood fibers upon entry but the Utube guys (like Java said) will make it otherwise. I will send you a couple drills bit for it. I bought the best example from the old tool man years ago, and its in really great shape. I believe it was made in the 50s.

Take an electric drill with a Multi Spur bit. It cuts a super clean hole.
Old 02-27-2021, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #317 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Where's the fun in that!
The fun is you will get to swear loudly even in the present of women and children because you just fook up a wonderful piece of nicely glued up work bench while they cover their mouth laughing as they walk away. Muhahahahah
Old 02-27-2021, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #318 (permalink)

Back in the saddle again

Quote:
A brace drills a rough hole. It rips up the wood fibers upon entry but the Utube guys (like Java said) will make it otherwise. I will send you a couple drills bit for it. I bought the best example from the old tool man years ago, and its in really great shape. I believe it was made in the 50s.

Take an electric drill with a Multi Spur bit. It cuts a super clean hole.
I do have a 5/8" makita corded drill. I made the mistake once of thinking that like other drills that I'd had, I'd hold the chuck and bump the drill to tighten the chuck. Yeah, this is a bit more powerful than your average 3/8" drill. I ended up melting the skin on a few of my fingers.

Interesting, I was aware of Forstner bits, but not multi spur bits. I guess the trick would be to make sure that I didn't wedge the bit in the hole and then break my wrist with the drill.
Old 02-27-2021, 08:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #319 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
I do have a 5/8" makita corded drill. I made the mistake once of thinking that like other drills that I'd had, I'd hold the chuck and bump the drill to tighten the chuck. Yeah, this is a bit more powerful than your average 3/8" drill. I ended up melting the skin on a few of my fingers.

Interesting, I was aware of Forstner bits, but not multi spur bits. I guess the trick would be to make sure that I didn't wedge the bit in the hole and then break my wrist with the drill.
No need to go nuclear. 5/8"? Man, that's one big chuck. Any 3/8 or 1/2 drill will do the trick. Put it on slow or low, it will cut its way through cleanly. Do get a new bit for that because this holes for the bench dog will be with you for long time. I think the bench dog I sent you is 3/4 dia. if you are using that?

Forstner bit will take until tomorrow. They are slow and dulls easily.

Old 02-27-2021, 11:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #320 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: