Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
G'day!

Garage
I'm going to an inside tankless water heater

My conventional 40 gallon GE water heater is still working but showing some age. I think it's about 11 years old now.

Decided to go tankless - inside.

Pricing will actually be a little lower than a 40 gallon replacement.

I plan to install myself.

I will be upgrading the breaker from double 40 to double 60 amp. The existing wiring is 6AWG, so should be adequate.

Mostly it will be some plumbing stuff involved, but pretty straight forward.

Here is the unit I bought:

Rheem 240V Heating Chamber RTEX-13 Residential Tankless Water Heater, GRAY

Only $250.75 and should be more than adequate for my needs.

Will post again after installation.

Old 12-18-2020, 05:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Subscribed . I am interested in it's performance and what your electric bill looks like over the next 6 months . Hope you have a clean install .
Old 12-18-2020, 05:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
It is a tankless project.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 12-18-2020, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
I see you

Mine needs a powered vent. Does yours?

“There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our overthrow. Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence.”
Old 12-18-2020, 06:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatbutt View Post
It is electric. I do not think a powered vent is needed.
Old 12-18-2020, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
I looked into tankless when our old water heater was 20 years old. At the time it lead me down the path of "the good ones are Japanese" and expensive, and to produce the heat, I would neet a bigger gas line run to it, so a all new gas line from the meter, somehow into the house, and to the water heater. Then the overall cost of the heater.

We stayed with the conventional gas powered water heater, and in the 22 years we have lived here we have never had a hot water shortage. It was a problem that did not need fixing.

The payback was going to be over 25 years for the reduced gas bill of tankless.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 12-18-2020, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

G'day!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH85Carrera View Post
Tanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatbutt View Post
Nope.
Old 12-18-2020, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH85Carrera View Post
Tanks ... but no tanks !
Old 12-18-2020, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

can you post the performance once operational? have been told not to buy an electric unit but not sure I have heard a good reason
"69 912 white w/ '86 3.2L (like the pic, just not the pic)
Old 12-18-2020, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

We have two Rinnai water heaters - one for the back of the house & one for the front. They deliver 6.? gpm, and you set the temperature you want. I've posted about them before. We chose ones that run on propane because electric ones that deliver that much draw up to 160 amps at full tilt. At the time, I think we paid somewhere around $1,100 for each of them. That was over eleven years ago. They supposedly last for 20+ years. I fill my 250 gal. propane tank once in close to every two years and use something like .23 gal./day on average. The only drawback is it seems to take a bit longer to get hot water flowing through the faucet. I don't think the bump in your electric bill will be too much since you only use it on demand.
Old 12-18-2020, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
What?!?!

Garage
Excellent! I was searching for similar threads about 2 weeks ago.

My current water heater/tank is in the forward corner of my garage and I'd like to put a service door in that same location so I can easily get from my garage to my back yard.

I do not have gas service and it would need to be an electric unit.
Old 12-18-2020, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Baz, 3.1GPM that is not a lot, I think most low flow taps can flow 2GPM, so you can operate 1 1/2 taps at a time. I do think they are great for point of use set up, where each tap has one nearby.
Old 12-18-2020, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Don't be like me.....I bought my tankless 5 years ago.....it's still not installed
'16 BMW R Nine T, '17 BMW G310R, '21 BMW R1250RS
Old 12-18-2020, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I have a Navien and love it, natural gas here.
Old 12-18-2020, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Slippery Slope Victim

Yup, that's a point of use heater. We install them for 1-2 bathroom sinks, usually in a tenant space.

Not a whole house heater.

I have a Navien in my home, I got the largest capacity Nat gas heater and we love it.

1985 M491
Old 12-18-2020, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

our Rinnai lasted 1.5 years.
still under warranty ....... cost us 700 bucks to replace the defective part.
Old 12-18-2020, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Hey Baz, like someone said earier, that flow rate maybe a bit low for the entire house. Depending on the bath(s), if there's a dishwasher and washer in the house. All has to be factored in. Then there's Maxium water flow and realistic water flow. Here's a guide from Takagi. We install lots of those and have on on my own house. https://www.takagi.com/help-me-choose/

Another from I found off the net https://learnmetrics.com/what-size-tankless-water-heater-do-i-need/

If you need further help, send me the info and I will tell you the flow rate needed.
Old 12-18-2020, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

Baz. For the water heater in the back of the house that only services faucets & showers (3), I have the temperature set at 120 degres. For the one that services the front part of the house, I have it set at 135 degrees for the clothes & dish washers. So you need to take that into consideration too.
Old 12-18-2020, 10:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Platinum Member

Depends on the input water temp also.

I used an eco-smart in southern florida, with 2 60 amp feeds, and it can supply 2 showers continuously. Nice part is I can get off the plane, flip a breaker, and take a shower no wait.

In NJ, we have a gas Rinnai I installed about a year ago, same venting as a gas powervent.
Old 12-18-2020, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by look 171 View Post
Hey Baz, like someone said earier, that flow rate maybe a bit low for the entire house. Depending on the bath(s), if there's a dishwasher and washer in the house. All has to be factored in. Then there's Maxium water flow and realistic water flow. Here's a guide from Takagi. We install lots of those and have on on my own house. https://www.takagi.com/help-me-choose/

Another from I found off the net https://learnmetrics.com/what-size-tankless-water-heater-do-i-need/

If you need further help, send me the info and I will tell you the flow rate needed.
Here's the Rheem charts. https://www.rheem.com/tankless-electric-water-heater-sizing-tool/

Looks like Baz is good for about 3 gpm in Florida.

Old 12-18-2020, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: