Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Heap View Post
Insta pot makes the best hard boiled eggs, the shells ALWAYS just peel right off and the yoke is always done perfect.
I always pressure cook hard "boiled" eggs in the Insta Pot. Five minutes at high pressure and they come out perfect. The shell still sticks to the egg if the eggs are fresh, so we still age the eggs for 10 days before we try to hard cook them. I used to get blow-outs all the time when I was boiling them, but never with the Insta Pot.

For beef stew I put some olive oil in the bottom of the pot and sear the chunks of meat well, then add a couple of cups of water and cook under pressure for 30 minutes. Then add the vegetables and simmer until they're done. The meat is fork-tender.

Old 12-29-2020, 05:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Registered

Are you supposed the sear chicken first too?
Old 12-29-2020, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Zink Racer

My wife uses ours mainly to make yogurt. She has that down. Hard boiled eggs as well. Soups, etc. are done in the slow cooker.
Old 12-29-2020, 07:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Registered

I at first couldn't see the need for it and it gathered dust in the pantry for almost a year. Took it out during winter to cook soup, and it has never gone back. Other than soup I also use it for bolognaise, curries, stews, even pot-roasts. Great for cooking potatoes for mash, as well as doing rice in 11 minutes. Couldn't imagine a kitchen without it.
Old 12-29-2020, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
We have one. It does a few things well, but we use the Ninja Foodie air fryer/air bake oven (convection) or sous vide and/or grill more than the instapot. Steel cut oats and rice are good. We have not had a meat come out good. Or refried beans.

"Don't get so caught up in your right to dissent that you forget your obligation to contribute." Mrs. James to her son Chappie.
Old 12-29-2020, 10:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantdrv55 View Post
Are you supposed the sear chicken first too?
We do. We like a little brown crust on chicken, beef, or pork. The maillard reaction adds some flavor, and gray meat just doesn't look very appetizing.
Maillard Reaction: https://www.scienceofcooking.com/maillard_reaction.htm

Last edited by wdfifteen; 12-29-2020 at 12:09 PM..
Old 12-29-2020, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

what? me worry?

I was gifted an Instapot two years ago at a time when I was trying to downsize all the crap in my kitchen.. I now find it very useful, and use it a few times a month..

One recipe I found that is great is Chicken Tikka masala, or butter chicken... its really good and ingenious.. you cook the rice at the same time, In the same pot, but separately from the chicken mixture..

I've made this recipe a number of times.. and I think its awesome....

https://food52.com/recipes/74991-urvashi-pitre-s-now-later-instant-pot-butter-chicken

The-butter-chicken-lady-who-made-indian-cooks-love-the-instant-pot
Rudtners Racing

'69 911 GT-5
'75 914 GT-3
Authorised Haltech seller and installer
Authorised Unichip installer
BBS wheels
Fikse wheels
Redline motors oils
Swepco
1500 hp chassis dyno
Old 12-29-2020, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willem Fick View Post
Great for cooking potatoes for mash, as well as doing rice in 11 minutes.
This is a simple reason for two Instapots. Main and side.
Old 12-29-2020, 12:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
Thanks for this. I made it a few nights ago and it is outstanding! It's definitely going into the rotation.
Old 01-11-2021, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
abides.

Garage
I bought this book a few months ago and have been very happy with the recipes.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08C6P692W/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i0

A lot of instant pot recipes i tried before just turned all the veggies to mush, or were watery and unappetizing.
Old 01-11-2021, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Still here

Garage
Did I stumble upon an alternate universe ?
Old 02-07-2021, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
Did I stumble upon an alternate universe ?
Pelican Pots
Old 02-07-2021, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud

We got one for Christmas from my parents. I tried. It'll be on the curb if she can't find something it does well. 8qt.

It ruins a whole chicken, the pork loin and sauerkraut might have turned out mediocre. Maybe we are using it wrong.
Old 02-07-2021, 10:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Unregistered

I figured this instant pot was just another fad that I wasn't interested in, but I 'member mom using a pressure cooker when I was a kid and she was a really good cook so maybe there's something to it.
She make swiss steak with it that I really liked. If I could come up with a similar result I'd be sold.

So a while back I got a catalog in the mail for a retirement gift to go with the gold watch
I gave it to the wife and she (eventually) picked out an instant pot which showed up last week.
Gonna give it a try tonight with some pork tenderloin, we'll see how it goes.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdavis11 View Post
We got one for Christmas from my parents. I tried. It'll be on the curb if she can't find something it does well. 8qt.

It ruins a whole chicken, the pork loin and sauerkraut might have turned out mediocre. Maybe we are using it wrong.
We have not had much luck with any meats turning out nearly as good as on the grill, smoker or sous vide. But it does really good with steel cut oats and some veggies. We really could get rid of ours and not miss it.

"Don't get so caught up in your right to dissent that you forget your obligation to contribute." Mrs. James to her son Chappie.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: