Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

New sporting clays spoon to pick

Iíve been shooting sporting clays for the last few years and really enjoy it. I bought a very nice Ceasar Guerini a couple of years ago and itís fine, but I also enjoy shooting in the sub guage events.

I actually have a 16 ga model 12 that I do just as well with as the 12 ga Guerini, especially when I get 4 extra for using a 16 ga pump.

You get 5 for 20 ga, 10 for 28, and 15 for 410. 2 more if you use a pump or STS.

Iíve been trying out 28 ga tubes in the Guerini, and while they seem to work fine, I just am not crazy about the weight of the gun. With the handicap my scores are good.

But I want a new Spoon.

Iím thinking about a beretta silver pigeon 28 guage at least. But they also make two barrel sets. I can go 20/28, or 28/410.

I do have a old Winchester model 42 that i really like, I havenít tried it at a fun shoot yet, Iíve not gone since COVID and I donít have ammo for it.

If I go with the 20/28, I could have 410 tubes added later for $750 or so. But it is based on the 20 ga frame. The 28/410 is on a slightly smaller frame, so that has some appeal.

Iím set up to load 12,16, and 28. And have enough supplies to last me for a few years. I have not been able to find any 410 powder, but Iíve been saving hulls and have plenty.

So my choices are spend around $2300 for a grade 3 28 guage , which I could buy a 410 barrel or tube later.

Buy a grade 1 combo set for around $3200, but will probably have to wait as none or available.

Or go all out and buy a very nice upgraded combo set for around $4300.

1973 911t coupe / 3.2 (sold)
Gruppe B #057
Old Yesterday, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Check out the CZ offerings - https://cz-usa.com/chambering/28-gauge/
Old Yesterday, 06:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
We Were Always Free

I shoot sporting clays a few times a year.

I like my Browning Citori in 12ga but I normally shoot a Stroeger O/U in 410. It is a Condor field grade that I use to hunt doves as well.

I love everything about it.

Now, no one gives it a second look since it is trŤs ordinaire but my GAS meter has been broken for decades.

ďHe has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Ė Winston Churchill
Old Yesterday, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
A few years ago I was invited to my first sporting clays event. I did pretty well and I was bitten by the bug. I now have a 12 ga. CZ and shoot around 4 times a year. We have about 5 places in the Jax area. I like it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ury914/
Old Yesterday, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

How big are you?

My kids 13 and shoots a 20 gauge. One of the $600 Turkish deals. It’s a $600 gun so it’s not a Beretta (or better) but works.

It feels tiny when I shoot it. So I’d be looking at a rebarrel. But I’m 6’2.
Old Yesterday, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
King Broinyo

Im interested to step up from my Mossberg as well...
Old Yesterday, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

I’m kind of thinking I’m just going to get the 28 guage beretta for now. If I want to try shooting 410 in the sub guage I can try the model 42. I am set up better for 28 ga now, lots of powder and wads.

Hopefully they still have some in stock, one shop had some last week. Only had the 28” barrels though, which should be fine.
1973 911t coupe / 3.2 (sold)
Gruppe B #057
Old Today, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
We Were Always Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostril Cheese View Post
Im interested to step up from my Mossberg as well...
I can help. What are your desires?

And, if you show me a picture of anything other than a shotgun, I retreat!

Kidding, of course. I have some shotguns I am willing to part with, but, and this is important, a Mossberg is a fine gun..

ďHe has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Ė Winston Churchill
Old Today, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

I'm a big fan of the Berretta DT series. I'd strongly encourage you to look at that for an upgrade. It's not that much more expensive. The DT-10 has its advantages and the DT-11 has its. It depends on how you like your balance. But if you want a sporting clays gun, they're a great value for what you get. I personally like the DT-10 better, but your mileage might vary.
Old Today, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

28 ga is a hoot. I have shot multiple events using one for the fun aspect. .410 would be a whole other animal. and locally .410 ammo is more expensive than 28

I just find the 28 more versatile--crows and doves while my.410 collects dust.
69 Chevrolet C-20 Longhorn (family heirloom)
Old Today, 02:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
King Broinyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk View Post
I can help. What are your desires?

And, if you show me a picture of anything other than a shotgun, I retreat!

Kidding, of course. I have some shotguns I am willing to part with, but, and this is important, a Mossberg is a fine gun..
Oh, I'm aware it is. It's just your standard pump action 500. I changed the forend, sights and stock to something that feels more comfortable than the stock plastic stuff.

Older guy at the range let me try some really trick Remington and Benelli semi-autos with all the bells and whistles, sights, energy absorbing stock, etc..

I guess I might be looking for something a bit more dialed in for trap, maybe a bit more accurate if possible. Ideas?
Old Today, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

You need one of these.

20+ year PCA member

Many Cool Porsches, Projects& Parts, Vintage BMX bikes too

http://www.bvdmotorsports.com
Active Rennlist Member.
http://members.rennlist.com/racerbvd/
See blog for my For Sale & Wanted List.
http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=337&
Old Today, 03:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
King Broinyo

Yes, bacon makes everything better.

I see an over under. What kind is it? Browning I assume? Benefits?

Old Today, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: