Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Well, since we’re here, Vash needs to give us the rest of the story. Which direction did you go?

Old 10-17-2020, 05:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)
credulous Boomer rube

Quote:
Originally Posted by masraum View Post
Smoked paprika is awesome, but I buy it smoked from Penzey's Spices.
Penzey's is very good.

However, there is one I like better:

https://www.burlapandbarrel.com

Their smoked paprika is on another level. And their cumin...Cobanero Chili Flakes...

Check them out. Their spices are amazing.
Old 10-17-2020, 05:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Only one? The large Big Green Egg.
I think it gets used more than my oven sometimes.

Still have my my gas grill and it will always have a place for a quick meal but gas grilling isn't BBQ.
And I sold a bunch of parts I hadn't installed yet.
Old 10-17-2020, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
I wonder if Moses still lives up by Truckee.

I like using hardwood, oak or almond, and soak some chips off the peach or cherry tree in the smoker
Old 10-17-2020, 06:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)
devalued member

Garage
the meat bucket

made this stand up unit around 10 years ago. it has 3 different cooking levels for regular BBQ cooking, then two additional levels for slow or really slow smoking. use charcoal and wood exclusively. since getting up here to the foothills using a ton of black oak.

was not sure i was gunna be able to get it up here when moving due to room. it was literally the last thing i loaded in the last trailer heading up. well, last just before the cat in it's carrier...
Old 10-17-2020, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)
Registered

And it has wheels. Nice.
Old 10-18-2020, 03:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)
Registered ConfUser

It’s a looker too.
1996 Ducati 900SS/CR - Luccia
Old 10-18-2020, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanbenae View Post
made this stand up unit around 10 years ago. it has 3 different cooking levels for regular BBQ cooking, then two additional levels for slow or really slow smoking. use charcoal and wood exclusively. since getting up here to the foothills using a ton of black oak.

was not sure i was gunna be able to get it up here when moving due to room. it was literally the last thing i loaded in the last trailer heading up. well, last just before the cat in it's carrier...
I had to search the archives .... Meat ????

The "Meat Bucket" lives on to smoke another decade... at least !
Old 10-18-2020, 06:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybek View Post

Still have my my gas grill and it will always have a place for a quick meal but gas grilling isn't BBQ.

This, because it's what I have

Any egg style is a great grill. Still need a small gas for when you need to cook something fast.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)
Registered

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06W5R4XTQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This. A dynaglo vertical smoker. The offset box allows grilling - it comes with grill grates. Burns charcoal or wood, and is a very good offset smoker. Heavy gauge steel. Under 300 bucks. BGE's etc are great and all, but at a grand I'll pass.
2000 K1200rs (gone, due to above)
Old 10-18-2020, 04:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by greglepore View Post
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06W5R4XTQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This. A dynaglo vertical smoker. The offset box allows grilling - it comes with grill grates. Burns charcoal or wood, and is a very good offset smoker. Heavy gauge steel. Under 300 bucks. BGE's etc are great and all, but at a grand I'll pass.
I believe grills and smokers are two different classes of cookers. Two-in-1, nice.
Old 10-18-2020, 09:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Weber Genesis. Mine is 15 ys old and works great with annual cleaning and a tune up every 5 years or so. We typically grill 3-4x per week all year in SoCal. Perfect heat control and minimal flaring, ready to go in 5 minutes.
Old 10-18-2020, 09:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)
I'm with Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybek View Post

+1

If I had to choose one it would be my BGE.

My gas grill (24 year old Weber Genesis) is my outdoor microwave and is used for grilling when we are in a hurry.

I have a 20 year old Weber Kettle that is on its last legs, I use that when I want to grill burgers chicken etc.. over charcoal.

The BGE is for BBQ.

Never briquettes only lump coal.

I picked up this coal to try, it is supposed to be highly rated, prior to that I was only using BGE lump coal. Once I deplete my BGE coal I will give this a go.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HTZFEHM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, I guess I was getting jealous of my friend who are all buying pellet smokers.

For really low and slow, I picked up this Flame Boss for my BGE and it is a fantastic addition to it. I have only used it for smoking my bacon so far, I am impressed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PF12JWB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also this is discussed elsewhere, a while back a great hack for starting coals is to use a chimney on top of a turkey fryer.

This was for a pizza cook on the BGE, I was stoking it up over 500

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser - Black Betty
2014 BMW i3 Giga World
Old 10-19-2020, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I have some of that lump Jim and it pops a lot more than other brands I have used. Just be aware of what is around it when you are lighting it.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)
Zink Racer

Trager
Old 10-19-2020, 08:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Wow 16 year thread! I did complete my BBQ island that year (2004) and was very happy with the final product. The BBQ Galore grill never failed me and I did a full refresh of it before selling the home in 2014. I hired out the concrete top pour and the palapa but everything else I did myself.

Old 10-20-2020, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roswell View Post
Penzey's is very good.

However, there is one I like better:

https://www.burlapandbarrel.com

Their smoked paprika is on another level. And their cumin...Cobanero Chili Flakes...

Check them out. Their spices are amazing.
Interesting. I'll check them out. I've got a Penzey's brick and mortar 2-3 miles away which makes it super convenient. But I'm willing to give mail order a shot for great spices. I do occasionally get a bottle of something at Penzeys that either seems like a bad (less flavor) batch or maybe mistakenly bottled with something similar. That's always a bummer, but it's rare and worth it considering how much better their stuff is the other 99% of the time.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 10-20-2020, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70SATMan View Post
Store it in your shoe room?
hahaha. Maybe use a bunch of those dragon-ass jeans to make a grill cover for it.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 10-20-2020, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
I have a "Ducane" that has sat out in the PacNW weather for 14 years and has no rust whatsoever on the stainless steel body. Which isn't necessarily going to be the case for new "stainless" grills, as companies are using cheaper stainless and non stainless fasteners. I'm keeping this thing forever.
Old 10-20-2020, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)
Registered

I made outdoor kitchen using Steele grill and side dbl burner. Had it for years now, no issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaBrewer View Post
Wow 16 year thread! I did complete my BBQ island that year (2004) and was very happy with the final product. The BBQ Galore grill never failed me and I did a full refresh of it before selling the home in 2014. I hired out the concrete top pour and the palapa but everything else I did myself.

Old 10-21-2020, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: