Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
MYT™ (Massive Yet Tiny) Engine

I'm not an engineer, so I thought I would toss this one out there and let you all chew it up.

Link:
http://www.angellabsllc.com/

I found out about this here:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.rec.hovercraft/browse_frm/thread/1043a58adde8438d/dd2dbe12a3e8bee5?lnk=raot&hl=en#dd2dbe12a3e8bee5
Quote:
The MYT engine is the result of a $4 million dollar R&D project undertaken by Angel Labs LLC to build the ultimate internal combusion engine. Inspired by drag racing, inventor Raphial Morgado designed the engine with a focus on power, torque, and fuel-efficiency to meet the hefty demands of the today's automotive applications in a lightweight package. The result was a revolutionary design with a power-to-weight ratio up to 40 to 1, over 3,000 ft/lbs of torque, and a diesel-mode mileage in excess of 150 mpg!
EDIT:
Another interesting engine.

http://www.quasiturbine.com/

George, Architect

Last edited by kach22i; 05-31-2006 at 10:06 AM..
Old 05-31-2006, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

Interesting. Watching the animation really explained everything to me. It seems that there are two sets of "paddles" that form each combustion chamber. The housing is round (rather than elliptical in a rotary or quasiturbine engine). Each set of paddles is loosley coupled with the crankshaft--they can push it but also have slack not move while the crankshaft is moving.

The only thing I don't understand is what keeps the slack set of paddles from moving forward during the compression stroke?

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 05-31-2006, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
1977 Targa ROW

Lots of contact points, gonna need a good oil - might even need to explore gear oil technology combind with engine oil technology! Looks pretty cool.
I'm not your Rumpelstiltskin, spin your own Gold.
"Ya can't be Pablo if ya work ain't selln'..."
Old 05-31-2006, 11:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

Quote:
Originally posted by Wayne at Pelican Parts
I once thought about how this could be adopted to a 911 engine:

http://www.coatesengine.com/

No rev limits on the valve train!

-Wayne
Imagine what it would do to a 951!

(And never having to worry about bent valves again.)

Old 05-31-2006, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Gon fix it with me hammer

Garage
all this engine tech suddenly popping up

we had the 6 stroke head
then there was that engine that used a different type of crank system

now this

i guess the oil prices are starting to bug people everywhere , i mean really bug em...

why don't the big engine companies take these things up for big R&D and proper testing. ?
Old 05-31-2006, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

Quote:
Originally posted by svandamme
why don't the big engine companies take these things up for big R&D and proper testing. ?
They will...in another 17 years.

Old 05-31-2006, 11:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by legion
They will...in another 17 years.
only if they're given tax credits to do so...
Old 05-31-2006, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
25:1 compression ratio. And it's a dry sump. Sounds like a race engine candidate to me...
Old 05-31-2006, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
1977 Targa ROW

Looks like a 4 lobe Wankel to me - maybe a cross between a Scotch Yoke and a Wankel, then again I'm not a mech eng. One thing that I see right off the bat is the lubrication issues. The wipe is gonna spell trouble. Maybe they could go with ceramics or something.

Wouldn't the efficency be questionable due to the high air exhaust temp presenting right to the intake? (at least thats what it looks like would happen in the pic). Looks like pre-detonation will be a bugger. I think some after coolers would be needed no?

As for use as a Stirling, doesn't a Stirling have a 10-20X displacement stroke compared to its power stroke? That doesn't look right.

Again, I'm no mech eng so educate me please.
I'm not your Rumpelstiltskin, spin your own Gold.
"Ya can't be Pablo if ya work ain't selln'..."
Old 05-31-2006, 12:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
25:1 will produce unacceptable emmisions. NOx will be outta site.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Honestly, I can't picture how this would work.

..and if it works, how it won't melt. There seems to be no way to cool it.

Of course maybe some water injection/steam cooling ala the Crower Six Stroke would work.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060227/FREE/302270007/1023/THISWEEKSISSUE
Old 05-31-2006, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
I'm with Bill

Quote:
Originally posted by LubeMaster77
Looks like a 4 lobe Wankel to me - maybe a cross between a Scotch Yoke and a Wankel, then again I'm not a mech eng. One thing that I see right off the bat is the lubrication issues. The wipe is gonna spell trouble. Maybe they could go with ceramics or something.

Wouldn't the efficency be questionable due to the high air exhaust temp presenting right to the intake? (at least thats what it looks like would happen in the pic). Looks like pre-detonation will be a bugger. I think some after coolers would be needed no?

As for use as a Stirling, doesn't a Stirling have a 10-20X displacement stroke compared to its power stroke? That doesn't look right.

It reminds me a lot of a wankel engine too.

I do not think cooling will be too much of an issue. We solved a lot of our apex seal problems by ditching the factory seal lubrication system and simply premixing the gas like a 2 stroke. The lubricants in the fuel keep the cylinder or housing walls lubricated remarkably well.

When comparing a Rotary using the factory oil pump system, (which pumps a tiny bit of oil through a pin hole in the housing) to a premixed engine the wear on the housing walls was non-existant on the premix and the wear on the factory oiled housings was very obvious.

These guys are on to a good thing here. I wonder if it will be very efficient though. One of the huge drawbacks to a rotary is the lack of fuel efficiency. A regular piston engine can tolerate a leaner condition than a rotary, the roatary relies on the fuel for cooling and lubrications so more is needed.
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser - Black Betty
2014 BMW i3 Giga World
Old 06-01-2006, 05:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
B58/732

So basically this thing has 1/6 the mass of a reciprocating motor but will require 6 times its own weight in emissions control devices!
Old 06-01-2006, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by LubeMaster77

Exactly what I thought. I would guess even with a thick telfon (or comparibale) coating that the disk would not last long.

I would also guess that the bearing that holds the disk thats compress together would not last long due to the opposing forces applied to them.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to FrayAdjacent911
Hey, a 150lb engine that needs 300lb of emissions equipment, but generates 3000hp... Perfect for SUVs.

69 911T Targa - "Stinky"
2001 Boxster "Stahlgewehr"
Old 06-01-2006, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

Quote:
Originally posted by TerryBPP
Exactly what I thought. I would guess even with a thick telfon (or comparibale) coating that the disk would not last long.

I would also guess that the bearing that holds the disk thats compress together would not last long due to the opposing forces applied to them.
And I thought the "paddles" in the actual pictures looked a lot like pistons laid on their sides and curved to accomodate a circular housing.

Old 06-01-2006, 12:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Re: MYT™ (Massive Yet Tiny) Engine

That angellabs engine looks surprisingly like one from an outfit called RotoBlock. http://www.rotoblock.com/ Some differences though.

Quote:
Originally posted by kach22i
I'm not an engineer, so I thought I would toss this one out there and let you all chew it up.

Link:
http://www.angellabsllc.com/

I found out about this here:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.rec.hovercraft/browse_frm/thread/1043a58adde8438d/dd2dbe12a3e8bee5?lnk=raot&hl=en#dd2dbe12a3e8bee5

EDIT:
Another interesting engine.

http://www.quasiturbine.com/
Old 06-01-2006, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

OK...the animation on the rotoblock site made it much clearer. Still, by constantly reversing the motion of the piston aren't you wasting a great deal of energy?

It seems to me that this is a more logical solution:

http://www.roundengine.com/

Piston constantly moving in one direction with a constant torque arm.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
i think bicycles are cool...
Old 06-01-2006, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Then of course there is this:

http://www.archerengine.dabsol.co.uk/#concept

Old 06-01-2006, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: