Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Friend of Warren

Whoo Hoo I got a Colonoscopy!

At 8:30 this morning. And thanks to the guys on here that are as open about things as I am I knew just what to expect. As everyone on here stated drinking the gallon of fluid to clean your intestines out was the worse part of the whole procedure. All I actually remember of the colonoscopy was watching the white sedative go in my IV, me saying I was a bit dizzy, then I was in the recovery room. They timed the sedative perfect because in about 10 minutes I was wide awake. After passing a bit of gas I was out the door and headed home at 10:00. Only thing they found was some irritation that they correctly diagnosed as me popping too much aspirin for my aches and pains.

Gone, but not forgotten: '86 Carrera, '72 911E, 2001 Boxster
Old 05-04-2007, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
This thread is worthless without pics. OK....I couldn't even type that without laughing...
22/29 torsions, 22/22 adjustable sways, Carrera brakes
Old 05-04-2007, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
this thread is perfectly fine without pics!!! mike you sicko

when it is my time, i am gonna swallow some gum, or a macadamia nut whole, so the doc can have a goal.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Alter Ego Racing

before the sedative took over, do you remember if the Dr had both hands on your shoulders?
PCA Club Racing Champion
National Vintage Racing Champion
Old 05-04-2007, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Oh man, we had to have this thread now? I've got one scheduled in a couple of weeks! I had a sigmoidoscopy about 10 years ago and I was fine. But now I'm over 50 and the doctor thinks I need a baseline one. Of course with the sigmoid they only go from "here to the county line". With a colonoscopy I understand they go from "here to Nebraska!!!"
Old 05-04-2007, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

You got that right Dan. I was a Technical Service Advisor for Olympus some years ago and medical equipment was my baby before getting into the industrial side of the company (MUCH better !!).

anyway, a sig scope is about 15" long, the colonoscope can be up to 4 FEET plus

I won't even scare you with horror stories.........

-Chris

Well on the fringe......
Old 05-04-2007, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

"O"man(are we in trouble)

As Kurt V says, the worst part is the preparation.

I had my first a few years ago and also just remember waking up after the procedure, before that I was on a table and they could have done anything they wanted to do while I was out. All was OK, if they did anything else, I don't want to know.

it's the only thing I have in common w/ Katie Couric.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
The worst part is having one and then having the Dr. call you and your wife in the small room and say "Well, we found something." BTDT! I was 33, I wouldn't be posting now if I hadn't had one.

Get it done early and regularly.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ury914/
Old 05-04-2007, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
At what age should I start doing this? I'm 36 next weekend?
Old 05-04-2007, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee
At what age should I start doing this? I'm 36 next weekend?
They say get a baseline done at 50.
But if your family has a history of colon cancer, polips (sic?) or diverticulitis, why wait?

In fact why wait, period? Get it done and you'll KNOW you've not got anything bad going on. Then get it re-checked as often as your doctor says.

I know I've got to die or something eventually, but I also figure rotting from the inside out is among the least acceptable ways.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Congratulations on your status as perfect ass.

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 05-04-2007, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
I think my dad has had pollyps removed, but am not sure. He's 61 and it was kind of recent for him. My dad is by far his own oldest living relative. My doctor said not to even think about it before I'm 40. But URY914's words make me reconsider.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
I'm 44. Nearly all my Dad's side of the family (9 siblings) has been lost to various forms of cancer. Two co-workers (in an office of 50) are currently fighting cancer. My neighbor passed last week from liver cancer. She was 38 and very healthy/athletic prior to diagnosis. She took herself in several times complaining of pain before they found it and then lasted 18 months. One other neighbor who's my age was just diagnosed with prostate cancer.

HELL YES I'm getting a Colonoscopy done this year.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

"Moon River"
Porsche Racing Club
Old 05-04-2007, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by tc-sacto
"Moon River"
Ya ever serve time, Doc.?
Old 05-04-2007, 11:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
devalued member

Garage
"stop it's ripping!"
Old 05-04-2007, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by cbeers
anyway, a sig scope is about 15" long, the colonoscope can be up to 4 FEET plus

-Chris
A sigmoidoscopy is not an adequate tool to screen for colon disease, but it's still used by some HMOs because they are cheap and easy to do. If you're gonna do colon screening, do it right! Colonoscopy with generous doses of Fentanyl and Versed. It's a nice day off.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
A Secret Place

Quote:
Originally posted by dmoolenaar
I'm 44. Nearly all my Dad's side of the family (9 siblings) has been lost to various forms of cancer. Two co-workers (in an office of 50) are currently fighting cancer. My neighbor passed last week from liver cancer. She was 38 and very healthy/athletic prior to diagnosis. She took herself in several times complaining of pain before they found it and then lasted 18 months. One other neighbor who's my age was just diagnosed with prostate cancer.

HELL YES I'm getting a Colonoscopy done this year.
Great! Do it.

My Mother died of colon cancer at 60 (in 1990) and all the kiddies (me included) get checked every three to five years.

My first visit, almost twelve years ago, the doctor found pollyps. I am now 50.

My last dance to Moon River was last year...no issues.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by IROC
This thread is worthless without pics. OK....I couldn't even type that without laughing...
Ok! Here's a clean healthy colon

"It's a poor craftsman who blames their tools" -- Unknown
"Any suspension -- no matter how poorly designed -- can be made to work reasonably well if you just stop it from moving." -- Colin Chapman
Old 05-04-2007, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Insert Tag Line HERE.....

Garage
Send a message via AIM to rattlsnak
Should start at 40.. not 50..
Old 05-04-2007, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: