Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 234 votes, 3.22 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Get off my lawn!

Garage
I had to run the AC in the El Camino yesterday. Not today for sure.

I think most of the pain and suffering is over for the Email migration. Golly, computers are FUN.

My email is moved, but the contacts are only partially moved. Not sure what is going on with that. I have folders of contacts that separate customers from relatives or companies I have used and liked the service. Stuff I sure don't want to loose.

I had to uninstall the trusted old Office 2010 (32 bit) and install the new Office 365 (64 bit) and of course nothing worked. I had to get into the trusty old Control Panel and make some changes to get Office to function. Wheeeee it was fun.

1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 12-23-2020, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #155021 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I am one of those wierdos that likes snow.

"Don't get so caught up in your right to dissent that you forget your obligation to contribute." Mrs. James to her son Chappie.
Old 12-23-2020, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #155022 (permalink)
Registered

I like to see it. I like to see it in the mountains. But I hate to see it near my house. But then again the commute this last nine months has been on foot from one room to another so maybe some snow in the house would add some excitement.
'07 RDX
Old 12-23-2020, 01:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #155023 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
The snow people have in the house sounds expensive!

"Don't get so caught up in your right to dissent that you forget your obligation to contribute." Mrs. James to her son Chappie.
Old 12-23-2020, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #155024 (permalink)
Registered

I'm sure it would be and I'm betting I would not be able to expense it to work.
'07 RDX
Old 12-23-2020, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #155025 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Snow is fun when you're a kid. But at some point, a snowy season just means more work. Shoveling out the driveway or front walk. Shoveling out a spot on the street to park your car. Circling the neighboring blocks several times to find a reasonable spot to shovel out.

Snow's beautiful, but not so much when you're late for work in the morning, or getting home from work yet still can't get inside your own house. Plus I was never a fan of that feeling of cold, when you've bundled up and are reaching for the knob on the front door. You're still inside. The door is still closed. But you can already feel that chill down to your bones that's about to hit.
Old 12-23-2020, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #155026 (permalink)

Get off my lawn!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah930 View Post
Snow is fun when you're a kid. But at some point, a snowy season just means more work. Shoveling out the driveway or front walk. Shoveling out a spot on the street to park your car. Circling the neighboring blocks several times to find a reasonable spot to shovel out.

Snow's beautiful, but not so much when you're late for work in the morning, or getting home from work yet still can't get inside your own house. Plus I was never a fan of that feeling of cold, when you've bundled up and are reaching for the knob on the front door. You're still inside. The door is still closed. But you can already feel that chill down to your bones that's about to hit.
This. Yep it is fun as a kid with no responsibilities but to play in it. My driveway on the flat part in front of the garage is big enough to park 6 full size pickups and have room to walk around them. The driveway itself is two full cars wide, and 2 cars long. It is insane big when I have to shovel it. Just right the rest of the time.
Old 12-24-2020, 06:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #155027 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Wow, that was terrifyingly sacary.

I have my email working fine on my computer and on my laptop, but my phone was still tied to Richard's server. All my phone contacts, email and most of my business is run through it. I then had to delete that account from my phone, so all my phone numbers contacts, email and my world were just deleted.

It was super easy to add account to Exchange, and bam it all cam back. Whoooo HOOOO.
Old 12-24-2020, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #155028 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Merry Christmas guys.

I got my wife's email set up fairly easy. The Authentication App is the hardest part to get working right. They just enter the email address and the password, and bam, it is all set up automatically. No mail server or ports to mess with or anything.

I will check with Richard's brother and find out Richard's status.
Old 12-25-2020, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #155029 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Best wishes to Richard.

Merry Christmas to all the Stijners. And Stijn, too.

I took the targa out for a morning spin today. I went looking for 1219 N. Vine Ave in Hollywood. On a similar mission, a few weeks ago I took the 930, looking for 11515 Ventura Blvd in Studio City. These were the sites for Johnny von Neumann's Competition Motors, Porsche's first west coast dealer. Seeing as how half of Porsches made were for the US market, and then half of those cars were sold in CA, arguably this is one of the most important dealerships in Porsche's history. The Studio City address was the original location, but he left it in 1953. That building and address no longer exists. There's a 11511 and a 11517, but no 11515. I took a pic of the 930 in front of 11511, an auto body shop. At least all the businesses in that area are still automotive related.

But today I went looking for 1219 N Vine, the address most associated with Competition Motors. I knew the original building was torn down years ago, but at least there is a new one at that address. I found it, but in a testament to modern times in LA, the sidewalk in front of that Hollywood address is a homeless encampment. Out of respect for those living there, I decided not to park in front of the building for a pic. Sad for the loss of a photo opp, but even more so for the state of things.

Last edited by Noah930; 12-25-2020 at 11:05 AM..
Old 12-25-2020, 11:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #155030 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Warmest holiday wishes.......no seriously. This is the warmest Christmas i can remember.
We had 8 inches of snow on the ground yesterday and today it's gone. 53 degrees and raining right now. Supposed to freeze back up tonight and change to snow.
If you don't like the weather here just wait a minute.
Old 12-25-2020, 11:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #155031 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
I drove the targa with the top off today. You can walk around with a t-shirt or light sweatshirt. Then again, it's LA. It drizzled yesterday. That's the extent of our winter weather so far.
Old 12-25-2020, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #155032 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
I grilled steaks for Christmas dinner. It was 57 degrees at 5:30. Nice to grill with no jacket on Christmas.
Old 12-25-2020, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #155033 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
I sure had fun yesterday. We went to Enid to see my MIL, and I immediately went to work getting her computer updated, and he email set up. She is part of the Email that Richard used to host.

Microsoft insists on using a Authenticator app, and that was easy peasy on my phone, as I have a 11 Pro and face recognition. For her email she has a 11 SE iPhone with no facial recognition. I went ring around the rosie over and over and the app said I needed to download the app (same app I was trying to setup) to use it. Finally after a dozen tries I tried the skip it for 14 days option just to see if I can get it to install.

That worked, and then I could get the code, and install it. They make it almost impossible to do if I was not FAST about entering the email address, and then the silly password. The code is good for just 30 seconds. So in 30 seconds I had to type in the email address, and then the generated password of gibberish upper and lower case and numbers. Phew, finally got it done, and her phone and iPad are on the new email. That app from Microsoft is a real POS to be that hard to use. 98% of the population never get it done.

I guess it is designed to work great with the latest and greatest generation of phones, and not cheaper versions.
Old 12-27-2020, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #155034 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
It's actually raining in LA. That is all.
Old 12-27-2020, 11:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #155035 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah930 View Post
It's actually raining in LA. That is all.

I thought that too was illegal in LA.
Old 12-28-2020, 05:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #155036 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
%%$#**@!))@#$$ (insert your worst string of profanity)

I went out to my garage and noticed fluttering, and a sparrow had somehow managed to get into the garage. So I opened the garage door on the side where the bird was. It flew away from the door and over to the storage shelf in front of the 911.

I had to move towards it with a broom and it finally figured outside was a better option than my garage.

Sure enough, the 911 was all locked up, with the car cover on, but that (see profanity string from above) sparrow had crapped on the car cover in a dozen places. So now the car cover is in the washing machine, and the 911 is cold and naked in the garage. Well, it does have the lifeline of the battery charger on it.

I should have taken it out for a drive in the recent days. We have had a string of 60 degrees days. That ends tonight. It always seems to get real cold around New Year Day.

Dang birds try to attack my 911 in the garage under a car cover!
Old 12-28-2020, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #155037 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage

Some of the carnage. Dang birds.
Old 12-28-2020, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #155038 (permalink)

Driver

Garage
That's why I don't like parking in the street in front of my house. There's a magnolia tree in the parkway (that little strip of grass between the sidewalk amd the street). Crows crap all over my car whenever I park there. Other people (there is a large apartment complex at the end of the block) will frequently park there, because it is one of the large trees on the block, providing shade. Now with COVID, the City has relaxed parking rules so you don't have to move your car every 4 days. An Explorer has been parked there for a week. My wife asked me if I mind, but I don't like parking there anyway, so what do I care? As long as I have space to out out the trashcans on trash day.
Old 12-28-2020, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #155039 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
We have three cars, and a three car a garage for the cars to park inside. There is a cutout in the back wall in front of the north bay where the 911 resides most of the time. That nook has a 6 foot wide 4 foot deep shelving unit full of vital things like a few cases of oil for the cars, lots of cleaning supplies and towels and the ice cream maker and other bulky items.

It was easy enough to wash the car cover, and it likely really needed it since it had been many years and I am sure it was full of dust. And several blobs of fresh bird crap.

We have a scaredy hole or tornado shelter behind the 911 in the floor. My wife parks her Macan in the center bay and even with the cameras that show her 360 degrees around the parking spot she uses the old tennis ball hanging from a string to park. The El Camino is in the south bay where the scissor lift is and the workbench, next to the bathroom.

I love my garage.

Old 12-29-2020, 06:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #155040 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: