Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrouder View Post
Run a skinnier tire in the winter. I run 235 all the way around, (that might actually be the stock size on a 95) in 96 they went to a staggered set 225/245. My 235 Kumho all seasons are great in the snow. I run Potenza RE11's in the summer.
I run Blizzak on the station wagon of excuse me the TOURING. BMUU owners hates it when I call it a station wagon. I do it just to pee them off. That is why I always refer to it as a BMUU. B M double U. LOL
Old 02-06-2010, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocarrier View Post
Just did a valve adjust on a 03 m3 today.

I also replaced the vanos unit for a " vanos inlet end position fault."

As for taking the m3 to the dealer I am not so sure about that. Usually all you end up really getting is a new valve cover gasket. (if you are lucky).

I ACTUALLY do the adjustment. Furthermore, I hand lap the valve shims to set the clearance as close to perfect as possible.

The dealer doesn't do this. Good luck even getting a "real" adjustment from the dealer.
To you it your car, but to a BMUU mechanic it just a job and the more jobs he can log, the more money he can make for himself and his dealership. I love the hydraulic valves on my M50tu engine because I don't need to ever adjust the valves.

I did the shim routine with my Twincam LOTUS engine when I racing it.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Just did a valve adjust on a 03 m3 today.

I also replaced the vanos unit for a " vanos inlet end position fault."

As for taking the m3 to the dealer I am not so sure about that. Usually all you end up really getting is a new valve cover gasket. (if you are lucky).

I ACTUALLY do the adjustment. Furthermore, I hand lap the valve shims to set the clearance as close to perfect as possible.

The dealer doesn't do this. Good luck even getting a "real" adjustment from the dealer.
Are the shims on top of the buckets or below? I've done both on motorcycles. Big difference in the time it takes......A assume most of the time you just "check the clearance" and they rarely need adjusting? My Honda ST1300 miles has 71,000 and still in spec.....I'm asking because my wife wants a bimmer...
1962 XKE Roadster (sold)
19 motorcycles
Old 02-06-2010, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruf-porsche View Post
To you it your car, but to a BMUU mechanic it just a job and the more jobs he can log, the more money he can make for himself and his dealership. I love the hydraulic valves on my M50tu engine because I don't need to ever adjust the valves.

I did the shim routine with my Twincam LOTUS engine when I racing it.
Nope, It's not my car. It is a customers. I agree, the BMW mechanic at the dealer is trying to make his hours. I still have some friends that work for the dealer. That's how I can say that you'd be lucky to even get a new valve cover gasket. I hear it straight from the horses mouth so to speak.

Every car I work on gets this kind of treatment. I honestly wouldn't sleep well at night if I didn't do what was right.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeCleElum View Post
Are the shims on top of the buckets or below? I've done both on motorcycles. Big difference in the time it takes......A assume most of the time you just "check the clearance" and they rarely need adjusting? My Honda ST1300 miles has 71,000 and still in spec.....I'm asking because my wife wants a bimmer...
There are no buckets per say as in a hydraulic style system.

The shims are located on top of the valve spring retainer. The retainer is machined to hold the shim on top of the valve stem.

To remove the shim is actually very very easy. There is a metal spring clip that holds the follower pad inline with the cam and the valve assembly.

Just remove the clip, slide the follower pad away from the valve and cam and you can see the shim sitting on top of the valve spring retainer. I then use a magnet to pull them out.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsumark View Post
Nocarrier--I have a question..Im trying to help a friend that has a 2002 M3..The cars drip pan keeps filling up with oil and triggering the low oil light..Yes,it has a pretty nasty oil leak..The leak looks like it is coming from somewhere around the front bottom part of the cylinder head,,or maybe the oil filter housing..I went online and found an exploded view of the engine.Valve cover gasket looks good..I noticed the oil filter housing has a seal behind it that has a bad reputation for failing from what Ive read..I went to the dealer and bought the gasket.Went home and wound up tearing into the front end of the motor removing all the brackets ect..I finally got to the housing..Removed the gasket,,replaced and started her up..Everything seems good..A month later he calls me and says the pan is loaded with oil again,and the light just came back on..From what Ive seen,,the only other place the leak looks like it could be coming from is the front top of the timing cover..Do you have any suggestions?This is driving us crazy..The car only has 33k on it..Thanks..

There is a plug on the cylinder head that does leak oil sometimes. The seal gets old and they do sometimes leak. It is on the same side as the oil filter housing.

Another place you can check is the Constant Pressure Valve. There is an o-ring on it that becomes brittle and starts to leak as well. Google this.

Usually at about the time the oil filter housing starts to leak, the valve cover gasket is shot and vice versa.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

I will look into both of these..Thanks for your response..
Old 02-07-2010, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Quote:
There are no buckets per say as in a hydraulic style system.

The shims are located on top of the valve spring retainer. The retainer is machined to hold the shim on top of the valve stem.

To remove the shim is actually very very easy. There is a metal spring clip that holds the follower pad inline with the cam and the valve assembly.

Just remove the clip, slide the follower pad away from the valve and cam and you can see the shim sitting on top of the valve spring retainer. I then use a magnet to pull them out.
Sounds easy, thanks..........
1962 XKE Roadster (sold)
19 motorcycles
Old 02-08-2010, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
Hey Guys,

I'm still researching these cars. Here's what to look for in the trunk for the subframe issue:

God it's good to have my car back! (frame failure story) - BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3)

Sounds like it will be taken care of by BMWNA, but you have to fight with the stealership to get the work done.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Quality

Interested in E46 M3s. Looking for a replacement DD that I can enjoy.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

I appreciate the E46 M3 on many levels, but with a design flaw that allows the rear subframe to crack, I gotta wonder if it is really a viable model to own. Sweet Jesus that is a big, BIG design flaw. Maybe an E36 or E90 M3 would be a more sound option?

I just purchased a 2006 E90 330i for my wife. I absolutely love the car. But, now that I have "hung out" on the various BMW forums, there seems to be a few models with some pretty significant issues...

Mike
Old 02-22-2010, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOMO3.2 View Post
I appreciate the E46 M3 on many levels, but with a design flaw that allows the rear subframe to crack, I gotta wonder if it is really a viable model to own. Sweet Jesus that is a big, BIG design flaw. Maybe an E36 or E90 M3 would be a more sound option?

I just purchased a 2006 E90 330i for my wife. I absolutely love the car. But, now that I have "hung out" on the various BMW forums, there seems to be a few models with some pretty significant issues...

Mike
There is a reinforcement kit available for the subframe that has been good for those that installed it. If you look at all problems, the E46 is the most reliable BMW around. Price is also a huge consideration. You can get an 04 M3 with around 30K miles for around $25-30k. That is dirt cheap. In comparison, you won't find an E90 for less than $45k, putting it in an entirely different league.

Living and Thriving
Old 02-22-2010, 02:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Still love my e46 M3 a few years into owning it.

The rear subframe issues seem scary, but when I looked into it, reading deeper it seemed to only happen on heavily modded cars or cars that were signicantly beat on. I drive mine pretty hard and have it inspected fairly often and it has shown no signs of that issue starting. I have H&R springs which are slightly stiffer, but not by much.

Stiff coilovers and/or lots of track days seem to cause that problem, FWIW.

They do have a few things that will have to be done sooner or later. I finally did my rear trailing arm bushings at 85k, most people have to do them between 60-90k. Once they go you'll know it. Dealer charges $800+, but I got it done at a local shop for $550 including an oil change w/ the spendy oil.
2011 Tiguan
2018 Tesla M3P
Old 02-22-2010, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

From a style standpoint, e46 M3's are pretty easy on the eyes. That has got to be one of BMW's most attractive looking cars.

Mike
Old 02-23-2010, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage
loved my 04 m3. fantastic performance package.
the 3-series including z's are known to have weak rear sub frame. e36 i hear is a lot worse than e46. they hoped e46 was better but after all it was not.
i got the m3 new but man the going price today is crazy. today's going price gives a cheap perception but the car has all the right stuff, built for track use. hate to see those kids and chics drive the car without knowing what they are drivin'...
1984 911 Carrera Coupe - 32C #73 - M64/05
1998 E36 M3 4dr
1989 E30 325i 4dr
2006 Sienna 5dr - the hauler
2010 Cannondale Caffeine II - Lefty
Old 02-23-2010, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Well, thanks to this thread I went and drove some M3's yesterday. Overall, I was very impressed with the cars and I was happy I got to try both the 6 speed and SMG. The SMG was used and abused and didn't shift "right", I think I would rather have the normal 6 speed from a maintenance standpoint. Brought back a lot of memories of my 88 Carrera just much faster and refined.

I also tried a 07 335i coupe with a 6-speed. That was a surprise for me on just how much it got up and went when pushed. Probably just as fast as a e46 M3 but much more quiet and refined. Maybe too refined for a fun car daily driver that I am after. I still need to drive a few Cayman S's and a Lotus or two before making any decisions. Not a day goes by I don't miss the 911 but I am glad I sold it when I did.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Did you shift the SMG as if it were a manual, or like it was an auto/tiptronic? Unless you drive it with the throttle adjustments as you would a manual, it'll be funky, and in "auto" mode, they are all garbage.

Maybe try another one to see if it's the same, and play with adjusting your driving of it a little bit. Also only use it in S5, every other mode is pretty pointless. There is a button below the shifter to move the mode up and down, you can see what it's in next to the gear indicator.

When I got mine out of the shop it felt totally weird the other day until I realized it was in S1 or S2, it does make a noticeable difference.

And did you drive a coupe or a vert? The verts can be dogs, something like .5 sec slower to 60.
2011 Tiguan
2018 Tesla M3P
Old 02-24-2010, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticLlama View Post
Did you shift the SMG as if it were a manual, or like it was an auto/tiptronic? Unless you drive it with the throttle adjustments as you would a manual, it'll be funky, and in "auto" mode, they are all garbage.

Maybe try another one to see if it's the same, and play with adjusting your driving of it a little bit. Also only use it in S5, every other mode is pretty pointless. There is a button below the shifter to move the mode up and down, you can see what it's in next to the gear indicator.

When I got mine out of the shop it felt totally weird the other day until I realized it was in S1 or S2, it does make a noticeable difference.

And did you drive a coupe or a vert? The verts can be dogs, something like .5 sec slower to 60.
Mystic,
I really think this particular car had just really been beat on and abused. The interior looked terrible and the paint had some dings and scrapes. The salesman who is an "expert" drove it after me and said something was off about it and it wasn't shifting right--of course their expert tech would get right on it. He supposedly had an SMG for 3 years and he couldn't do any better. I will try again when I get more serious as I really like the fact it does have an auto mode for the fiance if she ever had to drive it. Personally, I like clutches and the car would be for me 99% of the time. I shifted the manual one smooth as silk and haven't worked a clutch in over 2 yrs. Again, I was really impressed with the M3 and will keep it on the short list.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: