Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
E46 M3 Pros/Cons?

I'm considering an E46 M3 for a daily driver/fun car. (That's the 2000-2006 year for the BMW M3)

US Models

* 333 hp (248 kW; 338 PS)
* Torque: 262 lbft (355 Nm)
* 0-100 km/h (62 mph) 4.8 seconds for SMG, 4.7 seconds for Manual, 5.1 seconds for cabriolet
* 1/4 Mile - Coupe: 13.3 sec @ 104 mph (167 km/h)[11], Convertible: 13.7 sec @ 104 mph (167 km/h) [12]
* Top Speed - Coupe: 165 mph (266 km/h) (electronically limited),[13] 176 mph (283 km/h) (delimited)[11]
* Skid Pad - Coupe: 0.89g,[10] Convertible: 0.81g [12]

Anybody here got one? Pros? Cons? Can you get a child seat in one of these?

Anything I should look out for?

I know there is a Bimmer forum or three out there, but I trust you guys
Old 02-04-2010, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
One thing I know for sure, is the cost of a water pump is ridiculous. Probably not a deal breaker, but I cant figure out why they're so expensive.

Pelican Parts - Product Information: 11-51-7-838-159-M9
1991 M5 - Gone
1993 RS America - Gone
Old 02-04-2010, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

I've had a baby seat in the back of an E36 coupe, if anything the E46 looks to be a bit bigger. Awesome cars, my one drive in an E46 M3 was memorable.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
There was an issue early on that could grenade the engine. Make sure the car you're looking at is not in that build range or if it is that the proper work has been done.

Mine was an 11/01 build(in the danger zone). I sold it before BMW had admitted they had a problem and extended the warranties. At the time if you had a 6 speed BMW would tend to blame the owner for over reving the engine and causing the engine to explode.

M 3 . M A D R U S S I A N . N E T
http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/krichard/
Old 02-04-2010, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Awesome. Thanks for the help, guys. I'm surprised at how much these cars have depreciated. Some seemingly nice ones out there are in the low $20Ks with ~50K miles.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Every part is 2 to 4 times more expensive than a regular e46 and the valve adjustment is about $1200 at the dealer (and I'd recommend taking it to the dealer.)

Your local dealer should be able to run the VIN to make sure the engine rod bearings were replaced.

Other than that, they're a blast.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Parts are more expensive, but they are more reliable overall than a standard E46. There are some subframe issues, but there was a settlement of a class action lawsuit for anyone experiencing issues to have a reinforcement kit installed.

You will likely go through rear tires quickly. There are some issues with the smg pump and the conventional wisdom seems to be that the 6speeds are slightly more reliable. I absolutely love my dad's car and hope to be getting my own M3 within the next couple of years. It is a blast to drive spiritedly and yet it remains completely comfortable and use able as a DD. Plus it eats up the miles on road trips.

Check out m3forum.net for more info as well as a great classified section with M3's owned and maintained by enthusiasts

Living and Thriving
Old 02-04-2010, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I bought a new '04 SMG in Carbon Black. Fun car to drive. Loved the 2nd generation SMG, but if you think you'll ever use it in 'automatic' mode forget it - its beyond horrible. I only drove the car with stability control OFF and manual SMG set on S6. I had several strange electrical problems that required the car to be flat-bedded to the dealer

One was the sensor for the door that tells the computer the door is closed. No big deal, right? Except that the windows automatically go down an 1/8 inch before the door closes and then go up to form a tight seal. So the windows thought the door was opening and closing as you were going down the road and were quickly going up and down, non-stop. Of course, the SMG also thought the door was open so it would occasionally throw the gearbox into neutral as a safety feature and not let you select a gear as you were sitting at a traffic light like an idiot.

Eventually, lost all confidence in the reliability of the car and sold it just before the warranty expired.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

My two year old fits in the back seat in his carseat.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I would go for it. You won't find any under warranty anymore, so go with the one that has the best vehicle history and updates and don't worry so much about miles. A two door car with a child seat in the back is hard on the back.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Insert Tag Line HERE.....

Garage
Send a message via AIM to rattlsnak
bimmerforums.com and those cars are awesome indeed...
Old 02-04-2010, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89911 View Post
I would go for it. You won't find any under warranty anymore, so go with the one that has the best vehicle history and updates and don't worry so much about miles. A two door car with a child seat in the back is hard on the back.
True, but you can find CPO if you go 05 or 06.

Living and Thriving
Old 02-04-2010, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprsh924 View Post
True, but you can find CPO if you go 05 or 06.
Yes, if you can find one certified, this is an option. I didn't think they certified them as older cars, but they do.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Just did a valve adjust on a 03 m3 today.

I also replaced the vanos unit for a " vanos inlet end position fault."

As for taking the m3 to the dealer I am not so sure about that. Usually all you end up really getting is a new valve cover gasket. (if you are lucky).

I ACTUALLY do the adjustment. Furthermore, I hand lap the valve shims to set the clearance as close to perfect as possible.

The dealer doesn't do this. Good luck even getting a "real" adjustment from the dealer.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Hey Martin,

I just picked up an 88 325ix. Best two grand I've ever spent!

I know we've gone through similar challenges in the past year and this was the first silly purchase I've made since.

The thing is insanely good in the snow and gets 25 mpg all day long. I get more compliments in it than most of the many 911s I've owned and my kid loves it as it has no air bags (she gets to sit up front).

Good luck, I'm a BMW convert now.

Jesse
Old 02-06-2010, 04:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Used Up User

Garage
In a 3 Series E46 PPI, make sure you pull the rear bench seat out & inspect the wells for water. The sunroof drains clog easily & water gets in.
Also inspect the spare tire well for same. Gasket on rear tail light is the culprit.
Carefully eyeball the bottom of the center pillar (between doors) for rust bubbles in the paint.
The rubberized paint on interior plastics can start to peel & it gets ugly quickly.

Ian

----- Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. A. Einstein -----

Last edited by imcarthur; 02-06-2010 at 05:11 AM..
Old 02-06-2010, 04:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
another round please

I DD a 95 e36 M3 and its fun and very fast. Little different looking than that year, but so far, I can't complain. It sucks in the snow, even with snow tires. I guess their too wide. I too, am a BMW convert.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Nocarrier--I have a question..Im trying to help a friend that has a 2002 M3..The cars drip pan keeps filling up with oil and triggering the low oil light..Yes,it has a pretty nasty oil leak..The leak looks like it is coming from somewhere around the front bottom part of the cylinder head,,or maybe the oil filter housing..I went online and found an exploded view of the engine.Valve cover gasket looks good..I noticed the oil filter housing has a seal behind it that has a bad reputation for failing from what Ive read..I went to the dealer and bought the gasket.Went home and wound up tearing into the front end of the motor removing all the brackets ect..I finally got to the housing..Removed the gasket,,replaced and started her up..Everything seems good..A month later he calls me and says the pan is loaded with oil again,and the light just came back on..From what Ive seen,,the only other place the leak looks like it could be coming from is the front top of the timing cover..Do you have any suggestions?This is driving us crazy..The car only has 33k on it..Thanks..
Old 02-06-2010, 05:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by strupgolf View Post
I DD a 95 e36 M3 and its fun and very fast. Little different looking than that year, but so far, I can't complain. It sucks in the snow, even with snow tires. I guess their too wide. I too, am a BMW convert.
Run a skinnier tire in the winter. I run 235 all the way around, (that might actually be the stock size on a 95) in 96 they went to a staggered set 225/245. My 235 Kumho all seasons are great in the snow. I run Potenza RE11's in the summer.

1991 M5 - Gone
1993 RS America - Gone
Old 02-06-2010, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattlsnak View Post
bimmerforums.com and those cars are awesome indeed...
Hey that's the other website that I spend a lot of my time on.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: