Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 43 votes, 3.72 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Picture Thread: What's For Dinner?

Do/did we have a what's for dinner thread? I can't find it. So, I'll start one (another one?).

Here's my main course tonight.

Tuna steaks, marinated in soy sauce, honey, wasabi, salt and pepper, then peppered some more, and seared in a really hot pan - cast iron, of course - for 30 sec each side. Remove steaks to cutting board, turn off burner. Pour used marinade into the still-hot pan and boil it thicker with residual heat. Slice steaks into 1/8"s, arrange, sauce.

Low calorie so goes well with a diet - my diet. Not low sodium or low sugar, though.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to BRPORSCHE
Come be my chef. That looks fantastic. Yellow?
'87 924S - Keep's the Porsche DNA in my system while the 911 is down.
aka "Wolf boy"
Old 12-06-2010, 09:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Nice!
Old 12-06-2010, 09:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Not sure (what kind of tuna), maybe yellow. This works w/ other firm fishes too, swordtail and so on. You can also get the sweetness from brown sugar or mirin (may need a touch of cornstarch for quick thickening if mirin), and the heat from chili sauce or red pepper, it's all a bit different but good. For more crust, you can press sesame seeds into the tuna along with the pepper.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Oh, and naturally you can give the same treatment to good beef. It's a kinda different way to do cow.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
john..that looks fantastic.! nice knife work!

if you're on a diet, eat it on top of a salad. again, great job!
Old 12-07-2010, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Vash, post a dish and the recipe. I dug the vashtail.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyl View Post
Do/did we have a what's for dinner thread? I can't find it. So, I'll start one (another one?).

Tuna steaks, marinated in soy sauce, honey, wasabi, salt and pepper, then peppered some more, and seared in a really hot pan - cast iron, of course - for 30 sec each side. Remove steaks to cutting board, turn off burner. Pour used marinade into the still-hot pan and boil it thicker with residual heat. Slice steaks into 1/8"s, arrange, sauce.

Low calorie so goes well with a diet - my diet. Not low sodium or low sugar, though.
Damn-Too far too drive to barge in for a bite of that!!! Sure looks good.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyl View Post

Do you think that could be shipped in a cooler with several blocks of dry ice?

I'm just saying...

'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 12-07-2010, 07:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
not sure whats going on but i have been having a blast cooking lately

fish is ono ( cant get chilean sea bass ) Cooked ono goes over 3 cheese polenta (corn meal and cheese melted together ) with the diced tomatoe puree on top. also over the top was roasted mushrooms. this all goes in a large dish and is baked for another 10 minutes. had some really nice beer during prep and forgot the final money shot, sorry

2010 Toyota Prius Black for sale
2016 BMW 328D wagon
Old 12-29-2010, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Wow, could you post more details in a recipe? I'd sure like to make that!
Old 12-29-2010, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
i faxed this to myself lets see if i can post it

2016 BMW 328D wagon
Old 12-29-2010, 11:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
nope, send me a fax or email and ill send it over
2016 BMW 328D wagon
Old 12-29-2010, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Before:

we'll have to see what 90 minutes later and a lot of basting brings us.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Old 12-29-2010, 07:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Start it off with homemade croutons.

Next make the Caesar dressing.

Start the pork loin roast.

Add potatoes and sauerkraut.
Take out roast and carve!

Old 01-01-2011, 03:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Last night I made some braised-roasted pork belly. It was pretty good, with a couple of adjustments that'll I'll remember next time.

This isn't an all-figured-out recipe, but it went as follows:

Pick a piece of belly that is of more-or-less uniform thickness. Cut into reasonably square pieces. Brown on skin and meat sides. Place in pressure cooker, skin side up, with a bunch of daikon radish (probably optional, could use shallots), some duck wing tips (ditto, could use chicken or skip), soy sauce, sake, peppercorns, and enough water to more-or-less cover the pieces. Cook on high pressure for 35 minutes. (Alternatively, 2 hours braising in covered pot in oven.) Release pressure, remove belly pieces and place, skin side up, in oven-safe pan. Add enough of the liquid from the pressure cooker to come near the top of the pieces, but - important - do not submerge the skin. Place in oven (temperature is not critical - 350-400F) and braise uncovered for at least an hour, basting the skin occasionally with braising liquid. Strain solids from the rest of the liquid and reduce to sauce thickness. Add a bit of cornstarch or other thickener if desired, but don't make a flour-y, cream-y gravy - this is supposed to be a concentrated, intense, dark sauce.

You are braising the meat and fat, while roasting the skin and reducing the sauce, all at once - take a bow! The belly is done when the pieces are tender enough that a skewer slides through with little effort, but the skin is medium-brown and crisp but definitely not overcooked to ''hard''. Poke skin with a skewer every now to check. If you want, you can honey-glaze the skin during roasting, or include a brief broiling step, to get a deeper colour. Or, lightly score the skin before cooking, in case it gets a touch hard.

Note the importance of uniform thickness: on thicker pieces. the skin will be more exposed and will overcook more quickly than pieces where the skin is just hovering above the surface of the liquid. I got messed up on that. See the picture - the smaller pieces shrank during the pressure cooking, they got thinner, the skin was right at the liquid level in the subsequent roasting/braising, that skin was perfect. The big piece, the skin was much higher than the liquid, it was a little hard. I suppose one could ''shim'' the thinner pieces with a slice of something underneath.

To serve, cut into 1'' x 1'' sections. It helps to place toothpicks through the belly, to hold the pieces together, before you start slicing. Sauce liberally and serve hot.

This is a disgustingly fatty dish, and you don't want to see how everything congeals when it cools (imagine your arteries), but damn is it good.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
john. that is awesome looking! makes my gout flare up, just looking at it!! yum.

i had my first chinese success today. my family didnt even give me a chance to shoot a photo.

i made:
steamed chinese broccoli
sweet and sour pork
shrimp in lobster sauce.

this was for my in-law new years day dinner. home run.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Tell me more about the lobster sauce!
Old 01-01-2011, 10:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
tell me whats on those artichokes

2016 BMW 328D wagon
Old 01-02-2011, 12:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: