Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 5 - Miscellaneous > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
winter-hater club member

graphene is just one of a few very exciting new carbon molecules. i posted a thread awhile ago about another....

"COOL PRIUS!" - Nobody Ever
Old 06-26-2012, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #141 (permalink)
Information Junky

hmmm. I studied the stuff back in circa 1992, for composites.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichard View Post
that must be some left wing crazy whacko news source. We've been told for days now that there cannot be breakthroughs in battery technology!
And the energy density improvement is . .. ?

Nobody said that there are NO improvements to battery tech. ...just that it has to improve more than incrementally. We need leaps and bounds here.

Last edited by island911; 06-26-2012 at 03:26 PM..
Old 06-26-2012, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #142 (permalink)
winter-hater club member

Quote:
Originally Posted by island911 View Post
hmmm. I studied the stuff back in circa 1992, for composites.

And the energy density improvement is . .. ?

Nobody said that there are NO improvements to battery tech. ...just that it has to improve more than incrementally. We need leaps and bounds here.
less, actually. the interesting thing is the amount of time needed to charge and discharge the power.

the calorie/weight issue remains (actually, it is a bit worse vs. current lithium technology).

Old 06-26-2012, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #143 (permalink)
winter-hater club member

it is funny how rwebb seems to think that the pollution problems, re. rare earth mining, are localized, being that the water and such flows to where, eventually? you guessed it: we are all downstream. again, just because it isn't your backyard, doesn't make it okay. or acceptable. just ask the folks downstream from where they were mining the crap here in the USA.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #144 (permalink)
winter-hater club member

oh, and for the record, webbie, i'd much rather have the ocean rise than have my son poisoned with heavy metals and radiation from rare earth mining. perhaps your offspring will do better.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #145 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
don't be silly, nutnor - not only did I list downstream effects it is obviously a problem for those near a polluting mine site (assuming the mine is poorly operated)

but in no way is that a global problem

it's a pity you did not take courses in something useful while in college
Old 06-26-2012, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #146 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
winter-hater club member

ah.... there we go, personal attacks. i win.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #147 (permalink)
Information Junky

40 thousand plus posts and below is the only other time youve mentioned "polluting" with "mine" ( I searched)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWebb View Post
fossil fuels have become global problems because of CO2 emissions, which cause 3 problems globally:

1. ocean acidification - e.g. destruction of oysters, coral reefs, and so on
2. the favoring of plants with a certain photosynthetic pathway over others (search on CAM, C4) thereby endangering various animals that require those plants
3. climate change, which includes global warming & sea level rise

reducing the use of fossil fuels to lower levels reduces all 3 above

in contrast, mining causes problems near the mine site, downstream from the mine site, and (for coal at least) by polluting transport routes and disposal sites

for a "rare" earth metal, the problems are limited to the area of the mining site

also, they are recyclable

I have no investments in batteries, EV's, or PV solar. I do own some AEIS which you can look up to see that it has a pretty tenuous connection with this discussion. Comments here would not do much to influence a stock price any way.
So, seem Nymor's comments stand.

I await your hurled insults.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #148 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
what about "area of the mining site" do you not understand?
Old 06-26-2012, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #149 (permalink)
winter-hater club member

again.... i'd rather have my son subjected to rising oceans (debatable) than pollution from mining (certain).

thanks, island.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #150 (permalink)
winter-hater club member

Quote:
i understand it. do you?

this crap flows downstream to the ocean. just because it is in china doesn't make it okay. what part of that don't YOU understand? (oh, yeah, it isn't YOUR backyard....)

further, there is the air pollution. guess what? a lot of the pollution in oregon and washington state has been signature traced back to china.... how are THOSE apples?

Old 06-26-2012, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #151 (permalink)
Information Junky

Quote:
AH! . . my apologies. Mining sites (on earth) mean that the entire Earth is a mining site. ...and only "the mining site" is polluted. ...not the moon.

Sorry about that.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #152 (permalink)
winter-hater club member

Can The U.S. Break China's Stranglehold On Rare Earth Metals?

"In China, rare earth mines are often responsible for egregious environmental violations, including air pollution and the production of wastewater that contains large amounts of radioactive material and acid. The pollution makes people sick, and it destroys local farmland and waterways."

How to free the world from China’s rare-earth stranglehold - The Washington Post

Old 06-26-2012, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #153 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynor View Post
Can The U.S. Break China's Stranglehold On Rare Earth Metals?

"In China, rare earth mines are often responsible for egregious environmental violations, including air pollution and the production of wastewater that contains large amounts of radioactive material and acid. The pollution makes people sick, and it destroys local farmland and waterways."

How to free the world from China’s rare-earth stranglehold - The Washington Post
I'm suprised you're such a greeney. I would hope your green agenda is consistent?
Old 06-26-2012, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #154 (permalink)
Information Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisen View Post
I'm suprised you're such a greeney. I would hope your green agenda is consistent?
What does THAT mean?

I mean who doesn't have a "green agenda"? ...do you know anyone who Likes to breath pollution? ..or ingest heavy metals?
Old 06-26-2012, 05:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #155 (permalink)
winter-hater club member

kaisen, you have no idea.

i turn my lights off. i have converted most of the house to CFL bulbs. i tore out the lawn to put in water-use-reducing plants. i keep my vehicles well maintained. i don't have central air. i shave with a safety razor, to cut down on earth-fill. i try very very hard to minimize environmental damage during oil changes, etc., with my cars and i do it myself because i don't trust the other guys.....

you?

Old 06-26-2012, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #156 (permalink)
winter-hater club member

is this some sort of party-line issue in your head, kaisen? webbie? et al?

it isn't a partisan issue for me. there are some serious problems with the production of EV's. one of which is POLLUTION.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #157 (permalink)
Information Junky

Funny, if you point to the short comings and over-promise of some so-called 'green tech' (or point to a good green-washing job) the nut cases come out of the wood work to shout you down as some evil character that they recall from watching episodes of Captain Planet in their jammies.

I know, I know, their supreme leader has told them that R's "want dirty air and dirty water" --idiots.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #158 (permalink)
winter-hater club member

Quote:
Originally Posted by island911 View Post
What does THAT mean?

I mean who doesn't have a "green agenda"? ...do you know anyone who Likes to breath pollution? ..or ingest heavy metals?
i read kaisen's post as a concession, island.

Last edited by nynor; 06-26-2012 at 05:20 PM..
Old 06-26-2012, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #159 (permalink)
Information Junky

Everyone I know wants a green lively planet. The extremist compete for image on being MORE caring ... more extreme. I'm all about seeking knowledge and balance. The extremists latch on to ridiculous unguided causes like banning plastics. Or, massive mining for huge car batteries because it pokes at that other mining (oil). ...no balance ...no desire to understand the balance. Only a desire to look and sound the part ... some fly around on personal 757's to tout conservation. --image.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #160 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: