Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 5 - Miscellaneous > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

tesla delivers first 10 ...

Tesla Delivers First Batch of Model S Electric Sedans - Slashdot
Old 06-23-2012, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
I've been spending a lot of time in the plant the last few months.. I'm pretty impressed I think they actually will make it.. Now I won't buy one until it can take me from Reno to the Bay Area on one charge,, oh and has 4 WD so I don't need chains.. ..but still impressive
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 06-23-2012, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
12 years and 17k posts...

Garage
How is that electricity produced that recharges the battery?????
Old 06-23-2012, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by azasadny View Post
However it's produced it's produced in the U.S.! Don't know how well these will do, but I definitely support any means of getting off foreign oil....
http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/krichard/
Old 06-23-2012, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

anything that isn't jacking up gas prices and causing US reliance on foreign oil is a good thing.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
Great stuff. About time
Old 06-23-2012, 08:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
winter-hater club member

cool car. it will be interesting to see what problems crop up, if any. good times.

"COOL PRIUS!" - Nobody Ever
Old 06-23-2012, 08:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Looks nice. Best of luck to them.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Information Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by djantlive View Post
anything that isn't jacking up gas prices and causing US reliance on foreign oil is a good thing.
yeah, like some kid's lemonade stand which shows a profit (from the children's POV) after mom buys all the supplies.

That is our tax dollars - a half a billion-- were directed toward Tesla (and other green tech got their half a billions). And in this State, the sales tax is waived --there's a few thousand more subsidized for each one. But at least they won't be contributing to the ever rising gas tax.

Color me impressed when an electric car company produces a competitive sol'n w/o massive tax dollar infusions.

Until then, It's a niche market and a niche product. ...a heavy, expensive rolling energy storage system which is slow to refill. :-/
Old 06-23-2012, 10:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by island911 View Post
yeah, like some kid's lemonade stand which shows a profit (from the children's POV) after mom buys all the supplies.

That is our tax dollars - a half a billion-- were directed toward Tesla (and other green tech got their half a billions). And in this State, the sales tax is waived --there's a few thousand more subsidized for each one. But at least they won't be contributing to the ever rising gas tax.

Color me impressed when an electric car company produces a competitive sol'n w/o massive tax dollar infusions.

Until then, It's a niche market and a niche product. ...a heavy, expensive rolling energy storage system which is slow to refill. :-/
god forbid us all pitching in to figure out a way to get off foreign oil.... guess it will just magically happen.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Information Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by krichard View Post
god forbid us all pitching in to figure out a way to get off foreign oil.... guess it will just magically happen.
It doesn't happen by deluding ourselves.

I'll tell you, I was -in to- all sorts of this stuff (hybrids, EV's, HPV's...)when getting my Mech Egr degree. The thing is, this is NOTHING new. Hell, the First Porsche was an electric car. There hasn't been massive break-thru's in battery tech to make it competitive with hydrocarbons...

Want to get off foreign oil? ...Drill baby, drill.

Even the harder to get hydrocarbons are still an easier path than electrics.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Information Junky

Perhaps when we produce power with He3 we can revisit electric cars.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
Quote:
It doesn't happen by deluding ourselves.

I'll tell you, I was -in to- all sorts of this stuff (hybrids, EV's, HPV's...)when getting my Mech Egr degree. The thing is, this is NOTHING new. Hell, the First Porsche was an electric car. There hasn't been massive break-thru's in battery tech to make it competitive with hydrocarbons...

Want to get off foreign oil? ...Drill baby, drill.

Even the harder to get hydrocarbons are still an easier path than electrics.
Like I said I support any means of getting us off foreign oil. Be it drill baby drill, hybrids, electric cars..... doesn't matter, I just don't want to see us not investing in the future just because it may not look feasible at this particular moment.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Information Junky

Actually, foreign oil is not a problem. The Problems arise from the crack-pot dictators who have lot's of power (money) from oil. I mean, we get so much oil from Canada, eh? ...but that's not a problem. Right? ...stable government? ... So separate out the problems. ...if we don't buy oil from the crack-pot dictators in the ME, others will . . . then the crack-pot dictators STILL have money . .and are still problematic to the world.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Actually, foreign oil is not a problem. The Problems arise from the crack-pot dictators who have lot's of power (money) from oil. I mean, we get so much oil from Canada, eh? ...but that's not a problem. Right? ...stable government? ... So separate out the problems. ...if we don't buy oil from the crack-pot dictators in the ME, others will . . . then the crack-pot dictators STILL have money . .and are still problematic to the world.
lol, since the U.S. is by far the largest consumer of oil in the world I'd have to say that we are the problem when it comes to funding the extremist oil producing nations. Plus bringing energy production and jobs back to the U.S. is good for OUR economy... Why would you rather support foreign economies over our own?
Old 06-23-2012, 11:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to hawaiipcar
Seen a red one at work last week here on the Big Island,HI. thought it was a Lotus at first then read the badge.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Information Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by krichard View Post
lol, since the U.S. is by far the largest consumer of oil in the world I'd have to say that we are the problem when it comes to funding the extremist oil producing nations. Plus bringing energy production and jobs back to the U.S. is good for OUR economy... Why would you rather support foreign economies over our own?
The wold is changing, fast. China and others are coming out of the dark ages, fast. The idea of our economy vs their economy is quickly being antiquated. Makes your above post seem circa 1975. That is, do you really believe that China will be buying the Tesla like they do Oldsmobiles? Teslas are not on their way to being part of the world economy. ...well, other than all of the rare earth metals WE import for our freaky electric auto fetish.

Don't get me wrong, I do like that people are building crazy stuff like this. It's just that the product is no where near ready for prime time. ..all we have here is enough excess resource to play with cars in a BIG way.

Last edited by island911; 06-24-2012 at 07:53 AM..
Old 06-24-2012, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by azasadny View Post
Depends on where you live. In the Midwest and east, the electrons come from coal fired plants and similar such sources. Electric cars there are less green than gas cars. In the west, where there are a lot of large dams, electric cars are more green. (Unless you factor in the inundation of a wild river.)

But, some day, we will run out of oil, build lots of nuclear power plants, and drive electric cars. Probably in about 200 years. So perhaps Tesla is jumping the gun a bit?
1983 VW Westfalia; 1989 VW Syncro Tristar Doka
550 Beck Spyder, 1989
Old 06-24-2012, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
A Man of Wealth and Taste

The problem with the Green Jeanies and Liberals is that they can't or won't think things true. It sounds so wonderfull that a Toaster Oven of a car is being built that will theoretically take us off our Hydrocarbon fix. However what they fail to think about is where is the energy coming from once they plug their Toaster Oven into the wall? Most likely it is another source of Hydrocarbons called COAL, NG, Oil or maybe Nuclear?

Sorry as of today I am DOWNGRADING LIBERALS mental acuity rating from IGNORANT TO STUPID.

CITIZEN TABS

WWW.RADIOTABS.COM
Old 06-24-2012, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

I have a COMPLETELY different view, Island. The part we agree on is that battery technology is nowhere near a position to be a viable competitor to fossil fuels. And that's where we stop agreeing.

I laud efforts, even expensive ones, to find technological breakthroughs that will revolutionize industries as expensive and important as Energy. Yes, it takes massive investment. I applaud rather than whine. And I believe that electric cars will, eventually, replace internal combustion. The things you say about electric cars.....are similar to what many folks said about aviation, space flight, etc. Columbus received similar criticism.

I hope that when (not if) the breakthroughs are achieved, the heroes are Americans.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: