Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 2.60 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Detached Member

Old 07-05-2020, 10:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #281 (permalink)
Detached Member

One year old, checked fluids a week ago, going up the Grapevine from Bakersfield to LA, 100 degrees, it just over heated, let it sit for an hour and dumped in water, overheated again in one mile. Towed in, its under Ford 3yr/36K mile warranty, and an extended warranty with a $100 deductible to a local trusted place.

Turned on the generator, the A/C and the TV and also took a nap, four hours on the side of the I-5.

Could have been a whole lot worse.
Old 07-05-2020, 10:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #282 (permalink)
We Were Always Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh R View Post
One year old, checked fluids a week ago, going up the Grapevine from Bakersfield to LA, 100 degrees, it just over heated, let it sit for an hour and dumped in water, overheated again in one mile. Towed in, its under Ford 3yr/36K mile warranty, and an extended warranty with a $100 deductible to a local trusted place.

Turned on the generator, the A/C and the TV and also took a nap, four hours on the side of the I-5.

Could have been a whole lot worse.
I am really sorry to hear that. I remember in the 60's they had the water stations on the 'Vine, "Turn Off Your A/C" signs, etc.

Hope it all works out.

“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." – Winston Churchill
Old 07-06-2020, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #283 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

Considering the nuttiness of 2020, you’re looking pretty wise right now Hugh!
Old 07-06-2020, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #284 (permalink)
Registered

[QUOTE=Seahawk;10935480]I am really sorry to hear that. I remember in the 60's they had the water stations on the 'Vine, "Turn Off Your A/C" signs, etc.

Yes, I also remember those watering stations from in the '50's and not many people had AC at that time. I thought modern vehicles wouldn't have heating problems, although I imagine they can be pushed to a limit. That is still a steep trip. I remember a GM RV once passing me coming out of Death Valley from Stove Pipe Wells. He was really going. Up ahead it spewed transmission fluid all over the road.
Old 07-06-2020, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #285 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
There are still water stations, one going each way. But they're close to the tops of the climbs. Or at least there are large round tanks that proclaim they hold water. Have never stopped to verify for myself.
Old 07-06-2020, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #286 (permalink)

G'day!

Garage
Sorry to hear, Hugh.

Sucks having vehicles issues while on the road!

At least your vehicle had those creature comforts!

I don't understand how an RV that new could over heat like that.

Please keep us posted on what transpires with the repairs.

Thanks!
Old 07-06-2020, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #287 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

Unfortunately modern recreational equipment, be it boats, RVs, ATVs, etc aren’t exactly known for being well made and reliable. I considered buying a 5th wheel and the reviews are scary to say the least.
Old 07-06-2020, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #288 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Took the Grandkids hiking to Mt. Pinos on Friday since Gov. Gruesome closed the beaches. Went south to north up the grade and must have seen 8-10 cars/trucks, some with toy trailers overheated on the side of the road. A lot of spoiled 4th weekends.
Old 07-06-2020, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #289 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewhippedpuppy View Post
Unfortunately modern recreational equipment, be it boats, RVs, ATVs, etc aren’t exactly known for being well made and reliable. I considered buying a 5th wheel and the reviews are scary to say the least.
Thanks, Matt.

I wonder how that applies to pickups?

My '02 Silverado with approx. 230K miles on her certainly is looking her age here and there....but she's been so reliable I'm reluctant to even consider getting something newer.

Sorry for the slight thread drift, Hugh.....
Old 07-06-2020, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #290 (permalink)
What?!?!

Garage
Quote:
Unfortunately modern recreational equipment, be it boats, RVs, ATVs, etc aren’t exactly known for being well made and reliable.
I wonder about this as well. Been following Hugh all along, and while things have been generally ok, it seems like “nickel/dime” and inconvenience things are kinda common.

I’d like to drag a camper back and forth to Tenn in a few years.
Old 07-06-2020, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #291 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
When we first started looking into a travel trailer for my Mom we went to a local RV dealer to look at new. From a distance they look great, but once you put your hands on stuff it quickly becomes apparent that these are mass produced on a staple gun conveyer belt. Hell the salesman offered a "have a sense of humor" regarding stuff falling apart with each tow. Nothing of real quality is used all in the sake to save weight. Lots more sales if a regular F-150 can tow it. We ended up buying used for an out the door price that was 75% less than new. I grew up in a RV family so have seen a-lot. Of course there a quality units out there for absurd prices...butt for every seat. The reality is that those brands/models suffer an even steeper depreciation scale. Dad bought a $400K new Monaco with under 20K miles and 4 years old for $150K. Drove it all across the US and Canada for 3 years and sold it for $90K, a better outcome. YMMV.

Sorry to hear of your troubles Hugh. As already said at least you were not baking the heat with no beverages and food!
Old 07-06-2020, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #292 (permalink)

Did you get the memo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
Thanks, Matt.

I wonder how that applies to pickups?

My '02 Silverado with approx. 230K miles on her certainly is looking her age here and there....but she's been so reliable I'm reluctant to even consider getting something newer.

Sorry for the slight thread drift, Hugh.....
It’s more of an inventory problem there Baz, the plants have been shutdown so there’s limited supply. Couple that with strong incentives, free government money, and cheap financing and many of the lots are pretty bare. My neighbor works for Subaru locally, he said they are very low on inventory and there’s no more cars to order right now. Because new inventory is down it’s driving up used car pricing.
Old 07-06-2020, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #293 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Hugh, I'm curious, on the Ford warranty, mine is a 2019 E450 V10. I can't exactly just drive into the Ford dealership and get it worked on. Where do you go?
1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 07-06-2020, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #294 (permalink)
Registered

The only way to own a new RV is to keep a spare Tim Hancock on board at all times.

Sad to see this Hugh and quite honestly, very surprised. You would think a Made in the USA top of the line RV would be, well, top of the line in all aspects.
Old 07-06-2020, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #295 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I own an R-Pod made by Forest River. Being west of the Mississippi, ours is "Hood River" edition made in Oregon. It has a 1.5" lift so it looks a bit "off roadish".

The others east are made in Indiana at the FR plant as are other RV's and trailers from other manufacturers. After being on some RV/ trailer forums it seems the Indiana stuff has a few more build issues.

Not to bag on Indiana folk but let's just say they need to do a little more drug testing when hiring.
Old 07-06-2020, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #296 (permalink)
Registered

^^^ those are adorable! spendy! what do you get for $20k?
Old 07-06-2020, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #297 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun @ Tru6 View Post
^^^ those are adorable! spendy! what do you get for $20k?
I think I paid $17k new on a $22k trailer. They were discounted $4-5k everywhere when I bought in 2017.

This is the one I have. There's a FB page where people sell them used, figure around $10k. Easily towed with a smaller SUV or truck with 5k tow capacity....

Last edited by craigster59; 07-06-2020 at 04:35 PM..
Old 07-06-2020, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #298 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
Quote:
It’s more of an inventory problem there Baz, the plants have been shutdown so there’s limited supply. Couple that with strong incentives, free government money, and cheap financing and many of the lots are pretty bare. My neighbor works for Subaru locally, he said they are very low on inventory and there’s no more cars to order right now. Because new inventory is down it’s driving up used car pricing.
Ok thanks, Matt. Good to know.

But I was mostly responding to the question of build integrity, given your comment:

"modern recreational equipment, be it boats, RVs, ATVs, etc aren’t exactly known for being well made and reliable"
Old 07-06-2020, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #299 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigster59 View Post
I think I paid $17k new on a $22k trailer. They were discounted $4-5k everywhere when I bought in 2017.

This is the one I have. There's a FB page where people sell them used, figure around $10k. Easily towed with a smaller SUV or truck with 5k tow capacity....

My wife wanted to see what an Rpod looked like on the inside. We hit up a dealership. The dude damn near had a boner when I asked to see a Rpod. He started stammering about deep deep discounts. We waded thru an ocean of RV’s. It was a fun hour spent. The guy told us he would need a week to get the Rpod out. It was buried. Very cool trailer.

Old 07-06-2020, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #300 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: