Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 5 - Miscellaneous > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
I don't work with biotech companies any more, but am still interested in new drug discovery.

Immune therapy is the hottest area in cancer research today. The drugs are derived from an improving understanding of how cancer cells evade detection and destruction by our immune system. Our immune systems are powerful, so much so that they can kill us if they are too active or attack things that they should not attack. We have various mechanisms to turn off the immune response. Cancer cells can mimic those mechanisms. Immune therapy involves suppressing those mechanisms or engineering immune cells that attack particular forms of cancer even when they are using those mechanisms. A few immune treatments have been approved by the FDA in the past two years. They work really well in some patients and not at all in others. As scientists try to understand what makes one patient respond to a treatment so he lives, and another not respond and die, they have been discovering a relationship with the gut biome.

The gut biome is all the microbes that live in your intestinal organs. We support huge numbers of microbes, and are starting to learn that, far from being dirty parasite to be eliminated, they are essential to our bodies' function. This will be one of the most exciting areas of research in coming decades, in part because it is easy to test hypotheses by transplanting microbes from one patient to another, or initially from one rat to another. The linked article illustrates one recent finding.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/11/gut-bacteria-may-make-or-break-your-chances-of-cancer-treatment-working/

I'm interested in seeing how the drug companies approach gut biome research. They need to be able to develop a patented drug. Simply learning how to cure patients won't bring profits, if anyone can do it. For example, there is a microbe called C. Difficile which is a major killer of hospitalized patients. It grows rampant in patients whose gut biome (aka gut flora) has been decimated by antibiotics, leaving C. Difficile with little competition. The conventional treatment for C. Diff is more antibiotics designed to kill C. Diff. These can suppress an outbreak, but leave the gut biome decimated and the patient at risk of re-infection, which often happens since C. Diff is very hard to eradicate from surfaces. Another way to treat C. Diff is to take fecal matter from a healthy person and introduce it into the gut of the patient, prompting his gut biome to rebuild. Since there is no way to patent this treatment or make it into a pharmaceutical, fecal transplants haven't gotten the attention, research, and marketing necessary to make the treatment widely available. If it isn't a drug, there isn't money in it.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #241 (permalink)

Garage
Not quite to the "cool science" point yet, but we lifted our shiny new 70,000 lbs Inner Reflector Plug (beryllium reflector/liquid hydrogen moderators/heavy water cooling) into a test vessel this morning (for vacuum leak testing). There is only about .375" of clearance all the way down.

22/29 torsions, 22/22 adjustable sways, Carrera brakes
Old 11-10-2017, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #242 (permalink)

I hate vacuum leak checking. Better you than me.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #243 (permalink)
least common denominator

Authored by a co-worker, we didn't 'date' but I often took her out to dinner because she was fascinating to talk to... and she was so smart the rest of the guys were afraid to date her.

https://www.ligo.caltech.edu/news/ligo20171016

More from her facebook page:

Old 11-10-2017, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #244 (permalink)

Garage
Cool video, gave me something to watch while I charge car battery. Darn cold snap.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #245 (permalink)

Was reading this article tonight: Nasa forecast: Which cities will flood as ice melts? - BBC News

It struck me: Why would different cities be affected by differently melting ice masses? It had to be because "sea level" is not constant.

Digging further, I found this: Sea Level not the same everywhere; up to 300 foot variation. - John Englander - Sea Level Rise Expert

Sea level varies by up to 300' globally! That is amazing.

I was in Thailand last week during the full moon and saw the extreme low tide. It was awesome to explore the ocean floor hundreds of meters out from the normal tide line. Lots of marine life that you don't normally get to see.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #246 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: