Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 5 - Miscellaneous > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

PS, how many SB rings does Marino have?
Old 01-27-2014, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
NFL: Ranking The Quarterbacks Using ESPN's New Quarterback Stat - Business Insider

Quote:
Nobody likes "QB Rating" as a statistic. It is archaic and almost meaningless. And while most people that care about advanced NFL stats had already moved on to better measures of a quarterback's performance, none of those stats had reached the mainstream. ESPN is attempting to fix that with their own metric, "Total Quarterback Rating" (QBR).

While the exact formula is proprietary and unavailable for scrutiny, we do know that QBR "looks at every facet of quarterback play, from passing and rushing to fumbling and taking sacks, and allocates credit or blame to QBs according to how each and every play they make contributes to their team's success."

Read more: NFL: Ranking The Quarterbacks Using ESPN's New Quarterback Stat - Business Insider
NFL: QB Rating after week 6
http://cloudcelebrity.wordpress.com/2013/10/18/nfl-qb-rating-after-week-6/

More:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr/_/stats/expanded

Keep your eye on one of the youngest QB's out there with a long career in front of him, just has to get his act together.

Kurt Warner: Matthew Stafford most undisciplined QB
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000301598/article/kurt-warner-matthew-stafford-most-undisciplined-qb
George, Architect

Last edited by kach22i; 01-27-2014 at 11:24 AM..
Old 01-27-2014, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyg2 View Post

At indy, Manning WAS the entire team.
Agreed with most of your post right up to this. Manning had weapons in Indy - Harrison, Wayne, Clark - probably all HOF'rs. Problem when he went down was that he controlled a very complex offense that only he could run. Curtis Painter wasn't going to win in that offense, nor was Kerry Collins whom they picked up off the streets. When Brady went down, the backup was able to take over a more "system" offense. Matt Cassel proved he could win the next season as well in K.C.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

I'm probably too young to know, but before Manning, were QBs trusted running complex no-huddle offenses and making multiple reads and adjustments pre-snap? Those types of things are expected of top-flight QBs these days, and it seems like he was the genesis of that.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Interesting read, what if Peyton manning and Tom Brady had traded places/teams?:

What if Peyton Manning and Tom Brady had traded places - ESPN
Old 01-27-2014, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
The 2-14 season was the "Suck for Luck" campaign.

It worked to perfection.

1984 Factory Turbo Look
2006 4Runner
1998 TRD Supercharged 4Runner (Sleeper)
Old 01-27-2014, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Interesting read, what if Peyton manning and Tom Brady had traded places/teams?:

What if Peyton Manning and Tom Brady had traded places - ESPN
Interesting read. I think the knock on Peyton has been that his teams' focus has always been the offense. Brady and the Pats won their Super Bowls with solid defenses and good supporting running games. The 16 and 0 season was their season of the best offense in the league. We know had that one ended.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMJ View Post
Agreed with most of your post right up to this. Manning had weapons in Indy - Harrison, Wayne, Clark - probably all HOF'rs. Problem when he went down was that he controlled a very complex offense that only he could run. Curtis Painter wasn't going to win in that offense, nor was Kerry Collins whom they picked up off the streets. When Brady went down, the backup was able to take over a more "system" offense. Matt Cassel proved he could win the next season as well in K.C.
OKm, maybe.
Harrison was gone in 2008, Wayne caught 4 td passes in 2011, Clark caught 2.
Did they break their necks too?

Were mannings' replacement QB's really that bad?
OK, Painter was really bad, no argument there.
Orlov-who-sky? Exchange student from the NHL, right?

But Kerry Collins played in the league for a long long time fopr lotsa teams, he hadta have something on the ball, something that wouldn't make those recievers do NOTHING all year?
Old 01-27-2014, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Quote:
OKm, maybe.
Harrison was gone in 2008, Wayne caught 4 td passes in 2011, Clark caught 2.
Did they break their necks too?

Were mannings' replacement QB's really that bad?
OK, Painter was really bad, no argument there.
Orlov-who-sky? Exchange student from the NHL, right?

But Kerry Collins played in the league for a long long time fopr lotsa teams, he hadta have something on the ball, something that wouldn't make those recievers do NOTHING all year?
No question Peyton's absence from the team that year was the primary reason the Colts went 2-14. That complex offense was Peyton's and no one else could run it.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
Personally I think these sort of comparisons are pointless when folks incorporate performance numbers and other statistics. There are just too many variable at work that determine the career of a NFL QB (or any pro athlete).

To me a QB is all about being the offensive leader and being reliably consistent with judgement/play calls. Driving to the goal and capping with a winning pass > driving to the goal and throwing a dumb pass for a pick. Not many QB's have that sort of ability.

Last edited by JavaBrewer; 01-27-2014 at 11:48 AM..
Old 01-27-2014, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaBrewer View Post

To me a QB is all about being the offensive leader and being reliably consistent with judgement/play calls. Driving to the goal and capping with a winning pass > driving to the goal and throwing a dumb pass for a pick. Not many QB's have that sort of ability.
I always considered Favre top 3 all time until, at the end of his career, he ended most playoff runs with passes to the guys on the other team.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMJ View Post
I always considered Favre top 3 all time until, at the end of his career, he ended most playoff runs with passes to the guys on the other team.
He was always a risk taker. That's what made so much fun to watch back in the early 90s.

Sure, it didn't always work out, but those were fun games to watch. I loved it and hated it at the same time.

It's better than watching Brady or Marino, for that matter.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFC-911 View Post
He was always a risk taker. That's what made so much fun to watch back in the early 90s.

Sure, it didn't always work out, but those were fun games to watch. I loved it and hated it at the same time.

It's better than watching Brady or Marino, for that matter.
Absolutely. At the end of his career Favre could still sling it off of his back foot 60 yards and hit a receiver on the sideline on the hands with a DB draped on him like a blanket. Good times.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

I read recently that Manning takes over the Offensive Coordinator's clicker during team sessions and the team immediately perks up.
As far as the topic, I really don't care.
- - Don R. 1994, an excerpt from My Ass From a Hole in the Ground - A Comparative View
Old 01-27-2014, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaBrewer View Post
Personally I think these sort of comparisons are pointless when folks incorporate performance numbers and other statistics. There are just too many variable at work that determine the career of a NFL QB (or any pro athlete).

LOL, of course it's pointless, it's all subjective. That's part of what makes it fun.

There was a time when Elway was famous for game-winning drives. He was the best at comeback wins, while other QBs didn't have to come back from behind because they were already ahead. Elway was AWESOME for part of those years, but for the rest he was just so so like the small-market team he played for. His teams sucked for a long time, until he finally won two superbowls and retired.
Loved how the guy played the game, strong arm, good control, certainly ONE of the best.
'cept he went to stanford.

Anyone remember the story about Montana during "the drive"?
Quote:
Joe Montana
Super Bowl XXIII (Miami, FL)
They didn't call him Joe Cool for nothing. Trailing the Bengals 16-13 and backed up on their own eight with 3:20 left, the 49ers looked to QB Joe Montana in the huddle. "Hey, isn't that John Candy over there?" he asked. So began the 11-play, 92-yard drive. The capper: Montana's 10-yard scoring strike to wideout John Taylor with 34 seconds to go.
Read More: Joe Montana - Super Bowl XXIII (Miami, FL) - Greatest Super Bowl Moments - Photos - SI.com

I really liked watching Montana play. And he went to Notre dame, which is a plus.

But he wan't the best QB of all time, he wasn't even the best QB ON THE NINERS.
Steve Young proved that after Montana went to KC. he could do everything Montana cound do plus run for TD's. Highest QB rating, highest completion, most accurate, etc.

And what's up with all this talk about brett favrreayoux? Again not even the best QB on the team.
The packers became a better team when favre left and finally got the heck out of the way so the discount double-check guy Aaaraaaron could win some championships, a SB, and a SB MVP.
But Aaaaaron can't even come close to throwing stoopid no-look sidearm interceptions like brett did on a regular basis.

Not even gonna mention Aikman 'cause he went to UCLA.

Naw, only one QB has won 4 national titles in 12 years, and revolutionized (invented) the forward pass.

Quote:
At that time both at the college and pro levels, offenses were a drab scrum of running the ball with only occasional passes. In what was then the predominant single-wing formation, the quarterback was primarily a blocking back and rarely touched the ball. Most passing was done by the tailback, and then usually only on third down with long yardage to go. Halas and his coaches, primarily Clark Shaughnessy, invented a rather complex scheme building on the traditional T-formation, but needed the right quarterback to run it properly.[13]

Upon starting with Halas, Sid Luckman mastered an offense that revolutionized football, and became the basis of most modern professional offenses.[14]
The best evar:

Last edited by sammyg2; 01-27-2014 at 01:47 PM..
Old 01-27-2014, 01:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud

Quote:

Not even gonna mention Aikman 'cause he went to UCLA.
Well that figures. You couldn't beat him when he was on. Aikman reminds me of Brady, minus the pussification of the NFL. He had a supporting cast, true, but he took some big lumps.

Crisp passing, time and time again. Montana had that, in emergencies.

Last edited by mattdavis11; 01-27-2014 at 01:54 PM..
Old 01-27-2014, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

When I think of the best QB of all time I begin to think of those QBs who called their own plays...so Unitas, I guess, and the other QBs back then...and the only "modern era" one I can think of is Manning.
- - Don R. 1994, an excerpt from My Ass From a Hole in the Ground - A Comparative View
Old 01-27-2014, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Montana. He didn't have a particularly strong arm. Not a great runner. Much of his game consisted of swing passes with a lot of yards after the catch. But he was very accurate. But most of all, he could read the field and go through the progressions like nobody else.

Bill Walsh recognized someone in Montana who could run the offense that he was just inventing. It was a system that was designed to win gamers with precision, using high percentage throws. Joe did it to perfection. He is perhaps the best because of that. When he got the ball in that Super Bowl at his own 8, and 3:20 to go, I was certain the Niners would win the game. So was everyone else in the stadium. It's what Joe did.

Manning is right up there, though. He has a better arm, and can also pick apart defenses with precision. But his track record in the post season is somewhat lacking. If loses next week with a lackluster performance, then it's hard to call him the best ever. If he crushes the 'Hawks, then we still have an argument.
1983 VW Westfalia; 1989 VW Syncro Tristar Doka
550 Beck Spyder, 1989
Old 01-27-2014, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

I was too young to watch Montana. But Steve Young and Favre is where it's at for me.

In terms of recent QBs, it's Rodgers, Brees and Manning.

I see Russell Wilson and Kopernick being the next Michael Vick. Running QBs just don't last.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
Sammy I thought sure you were going to say Otto Graham.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: