Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 5 - Miscellaneous > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Thread Killer

To me, Montana got the job done when it had to be done. Seemed like you could count on him like no one else. Steve Young was great, but I'd take Montana in his prime over Young. I'm no expert on football, not even close. Just familiar with the local, bay area guys. I started with the Raiders because my dad had season tickets. Stabler was not the greatest, but he was damn good. Even George Blanda was awesome in the clutch when Stabler was hurt (or was that Lamonica?). And George would kick the extra point or field goal as well.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

What about bradshaw. Didn't he win a bunch of bowl games
Old 01-27-2014, 08:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckissick View Post
Montana. When he got the ball in that Super Bowl at his own 8, and 3:20 to go, I was certain the Niners would win the game. So was everyone else in the stadium. It's what Joe did.
I Was living in Paris then, watching that game with some French friends in a packed bar at 3 in the morning.
There were 3 Americans crammed in the booth with us wearing 9er's gear.
Probably about the moment Joe was looking at John Candy I asked one of the 9er fans if he thought Montana could do it again.
Calmly and quietly above all the screaming he said "I know he will"
And from the way he said it and the look he gave me I knew he would too.

After that it was a joke with my French friends - "I kneow he veel"

Faith - it's a beautiful thing.

Lots of great QB's over the years.
I like the old school tough guys - Johnnny U was my favorite.

'67 901/05 rebuilt 2.2
Bultaco Metralla 62 "XDina"
'68 BMW R69S
Old 01-28-2014, 02:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
1977 Targa ROW

Think he will retire to Omaha? Seems like its always on his mind...
I'm not your Rumpelstiltskin, spin your own Gold.
"Ya can't be Pablo if ya work ain't selln'..."
Old 01-28-2014, 02:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud

What I find amazing about Peyton Manning is how accurate he is even though he throws wounded ducks.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanadary View Post
What about bradshaw. Didn't he win a bunch of bowl games
He did win four, but that was more on the strength of their defense and running game.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Bollweevil

The best all-around football player there ever was and ever will be:

Sammy Baugh: Sammy Baugh: The Greatest Overall Football Player of All Time | Bleacher Report

Many years ago I played against all 3 of his sons in TX high school football wars. He would come in the visiting teams locker room after games and just saying something to the effect of "good game"....
Old 01-28-2014, 05:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Just a little bit more on P. Manning:
http://blogs.**********.com/broncos/2014/01/16/peyton-manning-voted-nfls-most-respected-player/25237/
Peyton Manning has it, from players across the NFL.

As part of ESPN’s NFL Nation Confidential survey of more than 320 players, the questions were asked: “If you had to start a team with one player, whom would it be?” and “Which player do you respect the most?”

Manning topped the list in both categories. When asked what player would be best to start a team, Manning got 62 votes (19 percent). Andrew Luck, the QB who replaced Manning in Indianapolis, was second with 56 votes, and Patriots QB Tom Brady, whom Manning will duel against in Sunday’s AFC title game, was third with 41 votes.

Manning got even more votes as the NFL’s most-respected player. Eighty-six players (27 percent) chose Manning, followed by Brady and Vikings running back Adrian Peterson who tied for second with 24 votes each.
- - Don R. 1994, an excerpt from My Ass From a Hole in the Ground - A Comparative View
Old 01-28-2014, 05:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

More on Manning:
2013 NFL playoffs -- Peyton Manning stands alone - ESPN
Watching Manning play quarterback is a joy and a privilege. At a time when passing-game concepts are soaring to complex new levels, Manning maintains an unprecedented, unparalleled mastery of his offense. There's no other quarterback who carries the same level of pre-snap responsibility and handles it so deftly.

Combine that with his work ethic, his physical gifts, his intelligence and (most critically) his ability to apply that intelligence in the most chaotic moments, and you check all of the boxes for quarterback greatness. Coaches would teach their young quarterbacks to play the game the way Manning does except for one small problem -- they can't. He is unique in his combination of abilities. And quite honestly, his accomplishments reflect that.

Those do include a Super Bowl title, which used to be enough to certify all-time greatness, but these days, apparently one isn't enough. Manning's punishment for leading his teams to 13 postseasons is having to answer for why he hasn't won more titles -- as though he could will himself three more Lombardi trophies the way he checks to a run play or draws a defense offside.

We've reached the point at which we've somehow put way too much importance on this one game while also underestimating how much goes into trying to win it. It's lunacy, and it's time to step back from the edge.
- - Don R. 1994, an excerpt from My Ass From a Hole in the Ground - A Comparative View
Old 01-28-2014, 05:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

No I'm not the prez of the P. Manning fan club.
Richard Sherman on Manning:
Richard Sherman smartest QBs: Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Andrew Luck | The MMQB with Peter King
When we played Peyton in the preseason, I found a new appreciation for the way he makes adjustments at the line of scrimmage; he controls the protections, and if he sees the blitz coming he slides it. The thing that sets him apart is that he'll change it to a run play if you don't have enough players in the box, and they'll get five or six yards because you're not ready for it. Nobody else has both the authority to do that within their offense and the understanding to know when it's appropriate.
1. Peyton Manning
2. Drew Brees
3. Aaron Rodgers
4. Russell Wilson
5. Andrew Luck
Honorable mention: Tom Brady
Superlatives

Who’s next: Cam Newton

Hardest to intercept: Tom Brady

Most conservative: Alex Smith

Toughest to sack: Tony Romo

Biggest trash-talker: Jay Cutler

Best arm: Andrew Luck
Old 01-28-2014, 05:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdavis11 View Post
Well that figures. You couldn't beat him when he was on. Aikman reminds me of Brady, minus the pussification of the NFL. He had a supporting cast, true, but he took some big lumps.

Crisp passing, time and time again. Montana had that, in emergencies.
I should have put that in green. Aikman woulda easily been in my top 10, if he didn't play for those dallas criminals. He was a great QB and did it with class.
Darned good announcer nowadays.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobra View Post
Sammy I thought sure you were going to say Otto Graham.
I've heard the name but doan know anything else about him.
Musta been a looooong time ago.

Edit: did a search, very impressive rezoomay. But Cleveland?????

Last edited by sammyg2; 01-28-2014 at 06:04 AM..
Old 01-28-2014, 06:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyg2 View Post
Darned good announcer nowadays.
As about as exciting as dish water, IMO.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Ro View Post
More on Manning:
2013 NFL playoffs -- Peyton Manning stands alone - ESPN
Watching Manning play quarterback is a joy and a privilege. At a time when passing-game concepts are soaring to complex new levels, Manning maintains an unprecedented, unparalleled mastery of his offense. There's no other quarterback who carries the same level of pre-snap responsibility and handles it so deftly.

Combine that with his work ethic, his physical gifts, his intelligence and (most critically) his ability to apply that intelligence in the most chaotic moments, and you check all of the boxes for quarterback greatness. Coaches would teach their young quarterbacks to play the game the way Manning does except for one small problem -- they can't. He is unique in his combination of abilities. And quite honestly, his accomplishments reflect that.

Those do include a Super Bowl title, which used to be enough to certify all-time greatness, but these days, apparently one isn't enough. Manning's punishment for leading his teams to 13 postseasons is having to answer for why he hasn't won more titles -- as though he could will himself three more Lombardi trophies the way he checks to a run play or draws a defense offside.

We've reached the point at which we've somehow put way too much importance on this one game while also underestimating how much goes into trying to win it. It's lunacy, and it's time to step back from the edge.
No question he's one of the best. And he's clearly one of the smartest, if not the smartest QB ever, and his preparation and respect by others is legendary. But leading up to his first round playoff game against the Chargers the big question was "Will Manning get bounced in the first round AGAIN after being the 1 seed?" I just don't think this would be the leadup question to a player who is said to be the "greatest" at his position.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMJ View Post
"Will Manning get bounced in the first round AGAIN after being the 1 seed?"
I thought football was a team sport. It's amazing to me how much the other 21 guys don't matter when it comes to evaluating Manning.
22/29 torsions, 22/22 adjustable sways, Carrera brakes
Old 01-28-2014, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

Here's a fantastic Grantland piece on Manning from earlier in the season.

http://grantland.com/features/quarterback-peyton-manning-37/
Old 01-28-2014, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IROC View Post
I thought football was a team sport. It's amazing to me how much the other 21 guys don't matter when it comes to evaluating Manning.
I agree. From the media coverage you'd think he was going out there all by himself.

Another knock against the "greatest" argument, according to Chuckie Barkley yesterday: only 2 prior SB appearances with a .500 record. For comparison, some of the other QB's that get lumped in to the top ten lists below.

SB Appearances
Brady - 5
Elway - 5
Montana - 4
Bradshaw - 4
Staubach - 4
Kelly - 4 (Consecutive)
Aikman - 3
Marino - 1 (Considered by many as the "best")

Last edited by EMJ; 01-28-2014 at 07:08 AM..
Old 01-28-2014, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewhippedpuppy View Post
Here's a fantastic Grantland piece on Manning from earlier in the season.

The Dad-Rock Prometheus «
Nice!
Old 01-28-2014, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Ro View Post
As about as exciting as dish water, IMO.
No doubt he's vanilla, but compared to the illiterate gangsta ex-jocks they parade around the NFL games nowadays, vanilla is a welcome and refreshing thing indeed.
He's intelligent, informed, prepared, and well-spoken and not at all obnoxious.
He's too reserved and careful about what he says and should loosen up a bit, but at least he's thinking before he opens his yap.

I'll take that any day over the likes of howard Cossell, Dennis Miller, Key-shon "give me the damn ball" johnson, Ray lewis, shannon sharpe or that dimwit bimbo jullian whats-her-face.
Even Jimmy Johnson is getting obnoxious trying to "fit in" with his co-hosts.
One of these days we'll see him flash gang signs on national TV.

My favorite currently working is Lou Holtz.

A couple months ago they had Keith Jackson (soph-a-more) do a guest appearance on one of the college pre-game shows.
I was in awe, on my hands and knees bowing to the greatest ever.

He and Gifford were in a class by themselves.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Oh, I don't mind Aikman at all, really. As you said, better than some others.
Sho do miss Madden/Summerall!
I remember back when Bill Walsh retired and spent three seasons with Dick Enberg in the booth.
Enberg said (on air) at the close of their last game together that he (Enberg) learned more about pro football in one season w/Walsh than he had his entire career.
Walsh gave great inside details during those games. ('89 - '91)
Old 01-28-2014, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: