Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Get off my lawn!

Garage
I went to lunch a few weeks ago and one of these pulled up at the restaurant. A new F750

A dude that could not weigh 140 lbs climbed out. I could not see into the bed to see if he had any load. I doubt it.

I wanted to ask him just what he needs a truck that big for but I really did not care.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 05-05-2014, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
I wanted to ask him just what he needs a truck that big for but I really did not care.
Little man syndrome.....
2012 Ford F150 Lariat
Old 05-05-2014, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH85Carrera View Post
I went to lunch a few weeks ago and one of these pulled up at the restaurant. A new F750

A dude that could not weigh 140 lbs climbed out. I could not see into the bed to see if he had any load. I doubt it.

that's pretty badass. i bet 1% of the population needs something like that.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Lots of snow Porsche away

Garage
1% is probably way high, cool ride though
79 XS750 because one is just not enough
Old 05-05-2014, 01:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
I'm done.
While I was under the truck cutting the sway-bar links off with a cutting torch . I noticed what looked like a power steering line was leaking. Thought I would tighten the connection. Nope. The rusted to h e l l steering rack is leaking! A quick check on line and I find it is common for them to rust through from the outside. So in the last month I am into this POS for nearly $2000 and it just gets worse every time I look under the truck. I'm done.

I lost Eric Kaisen's email. Does anyone have it?
Old 05-07-2014, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Projekt Rostlaube

Garage
Surely you've heard about this,

but just in case not: Toyota Launches Tundra Frame Replacement Program | Tundra Headquarters Blog

Old 05-07-2014, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
^^

Yes, it's been called in to the dealer twice for inspection. The last time they sprayed the frame with a black goo that never dries and comes off on you every time you touch it. Just one more thing that makes working under it such a joy.

Eric? Eric?
Old 05-07-2014, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Cogito Ergo Sum

Garage
Just click the email link on Eric's page.

Although I don't know if he is still finding cars for folks... Just reach out to him.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
aka 'vageen'

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdfifteen View Post
Please tell me more. I've been considering getting a newer Tundra.
In spite of its shortcomings I like this Tundra more than any other truck I've ever owned. A friend bought a 2012 and I hate the new big, tall, boxy body style. For all its big bold looks outside, under the hood there are all these dinky, delicate little parts. The master cylinder is tiny, the piston can't be more than 13 mm, and the steering shaft is about the size of a pencil. Not exactly confidence-inspiring.
At under 40,000 miles both out CV joints were cracked. The dealer tried to argue 'abuse'.

The POS battery has leaked from day 1 and this is common on all Tundras. They want me to replace it at my cost.

The clock spring (the contacts for the steering wheel radio, cruise, airbags, and horn) have gone twice. The first time was at under 60,000 miles and they would not warranty despite the 7 yr, 120,000 mile extended warranty. The dealer wanted $700 to replace, I did it myself in under 30 minutes and the parts cost ~ $70. The second time, the after market supplier at least warrantied the part - something Toyota would not do.

The paint is brittle and if a leaf blows onto the truck, you get a chip in the paint.

The sonar sensors need to be replaced (again), at least this is a warranty item.

Fuel economy is a function of speed. At 60 miles per hour with 35" tires and a 2.5" lift, I can get 20 MPG. If I go 70 mph, the mileage is more like 13 MPG.

I tow 7000 lbs regularly with the truck and it handles it quite well.

The traction control is a detriment to the truck. I actually jack knifed the truck on ice on a slight downhill because of the traction control. It was a very low speed jack knife, I saw what was about to happen and floored the truck to straighten out the trailer but the traction control kicked in and the truck did nothing. In muddy or snowy conditions, it is terrible.

Changing the oil is an adventure, the oil filter is a cartridge type and you need a special socket to get the bottom of the cap off.

I wish I bought an F-150 with the eco-boost and plan to get on of the new Aluminum bodied trucks in a few years.

Yoosta have: 90 C4 Targa, 87 944, 73 911 ChumpCar endurance racer - featured in May-June & July-Aug 2016 Classic Porsche
Old 05-07-2014, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
The thread on the yellow Boxster reminded me of a dilemma I faced a couple of weeks ago with my Tundra. I cannot keep hubcaps on it. A few years ago I lost one and didn't replace it for a year. When it was time to take the wheel off the lug nuts were rusted to the bolts and two of them broke off. After that I replaced the hubcaps when they came off. I got new tires a few weeks ago and within a few days I only had one hubcap left. I'm sick of buying hubcaps, even when I can find them for $10 on eBay. I discovered Camry acorn lug nuts have the right thread and seat, but I was worried about how chrome lug nuts would look on my truck. They seem rather ostentatious. But I found a set of used ones for $19.00. So how do they look? Do they detract from the image of individuality and the unique personal style that I convey with my vehicle?

Old 02-03-2015, 02:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Gallatin, Tennessee

Ah yes the dreaded P0420 code. There is a web site dedicated to just this issue with Toyota's. My son has a 2001 taco prerunner and it has thrown that code. I have a code reader that will graph outputs and wound up replacing both pre-cat and post-cat O2 sensors along with the MAF sensor.

Good luck getting the code cleared.

Dave
Old 02-03-2015, 04:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Bill is Dead.

Wow.... Y'all have done a lot to discourage me from ever considering a Toyota!

My 2002 Dodge has 230k on the odometer. I had the transmission overhauled at around 225k (just a few months ago). New shocks a few years ago. Other than that, tires, oil and gas.

Oh... and the plastic dash self destructed a few years ago, but I still have not replaced it.

I told my wife that when it does die, I think a Unimog is in my future.
She did not seem supportive of that decision.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

(the shotguns)

upsetting to read. my '06 has treated me right for 100k miles. no intention of upgrading to the new style as I feel like the interior looks awful and honestly I like the slightly smaller size of the through '06 Tundras.

I will be lost when it's time to get another truck.

btw if you want to see an undercarriage rust incredibly fast stop by a jeep dealer and look under the wranglers.
Well i had #6 adjusted perfectly but then just before i tightened it a butterfly in Zimbabwe farted and now i have to start all over again!
I believe we all make mistakes but I will not validate your poor choices and/or perversions and subsidize the results your actions.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
^^
Exactly the situation I'm in. I went truck shopping last summer and I didn't find anything that I like nearly as much as I like the Tundra. I compared sinking the price of a 2012-13 used truck that I don't like with the $4000 I've put in the Tundra in the past year and I think I'm money ahead. My plan was to get a sedan as a DD and use the truck strictly for truck stuff. I still haven't gotten a car. This truck fits like an old pair of jeans. Like you, I'll be lost when I have to replace it.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
(the shotguns)

I test drove an F150 before buying the tundra. also drove a friends GM 1500 in recent years. as a guy who likes sporty cars (lord you know you're old when you utter a phrase like that) the true magic of this series of Tundra is just how friggin tight and strong it is on the road. The ford and gm products just don't even come close.
Well i had #6 adjusted perfectly but then just before i tightened it a butterfly in Zimbabwe farted and now i have to start all over again!
I believe we all make mistakes but I will not validate your poor choices and/or perversions and subsidize the results your actions.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

I had a 2001 tundra and except for a warranty-replaced tranny it was trouble-free. note that the brakes sucked, and we doan have rust here.

I had a 2007 tundra and except for wearing out front tires it was trouble free. Note we doan have no rust here.

My 2010 F-150 had the steering wheel replaced after bout 25 thousand miles, the driver's window has been worked on twice, and it's making a clunking noise now when I pull away from a stop light.
The plastic gas door hinge broke and needed to be replaced, and the plastic visor clip broke but I'm ignoring that.
It's got 60,000 miles on it and I'm thinking about a new ...............................can't believe I'm actually saying this .................................. dodge pickemup.

'scuse me while I go wash my mouth out with soap.

I'm one frugal son-of-a-gun but one my one extravagance in life is driving a nice fairly new pickem up.
I doan ask for much else and I can afford it so I says to myself, self? Why not.

So I tend to get a new truck every 4 or 5 years on average.

I wouldn't have a problem getting another tundra but I doubt I'll get another furd, we'll see.

Guess I'll hafta start a new thread about ram trucks now.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

If I lived in the rust belt, I'd just go west and get a used pickup every 5 to 8 yrs. I only drive mine when I need a truck and small is just fine.

On my 4th Mazda. Luv'ed my '92 Toyota V6 AWD, but had new head gaskets at 58,000, new factory long block at 75,000, and dumped it at 182,000 when loosing compression on each bank.....
1962 XKE Roadster (sold)
19 motorcycles
Old 02-03-2015, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

I Bought my 01 Tundra in 2002 with 20k on it. We are pushing 200k now. I've replaced the tranny once and one shock. I keep saying I'm going to buy a new truck but then I go drive one and the just don't compare to my Tundra. Nothing on the Ford f-150's fit right in the interior, big gaps around the dash. I just don't like the way the Chevy's drive. Plus I really really don't want a 500.00 payment. So I walk out every day and fire up my Tundra.

If guns cause crime, all mine are defective. Ted Nugent
1983 911 SC 1978 Land Cruiser FJ40 2001 Tundra
1971 Datsun Fairlady Z RHD (240z)
Old 02-03-2015, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
FBHO & FHRC

My 02 Tundra Limited has about 180k on the clock.... Still runs great and pulled my racecar to/from the track about 16 times last summer. It lives outside and only gets driven when I need a truck or the 4 wheel drive on snow days. I would not hesitate to drive it anywhere.

Men do not quit playing because they get old.... They get old because they quit playing.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

I think that "rust belt" states must be given free salt by auto makers.

When I was back in Ohio in 1980, the number of "Flappers" (rusted out lower quarter pannels flapping in the breeze) were common. The oldest car in the want ads was a 74 Chevy for 400 bucks.

I shudder to think of what is going to happen to the new Aluminum frame Ford trucks......Whiteish from the waist down, me thinks.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: