Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

British F1 Quali

Very entertaining quali, hope the race is half as good. If you're a Ham fan, like myself, you'll need to watch it right to the end.(Quali that is)
Old 07-05-2014, 05:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Marussia 12th and 13th was nice to see also!
Old 07-05-2014, 05:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
durn for'ner

Its a magic track with a very keen audience.

Carrera '85
Old 07-05-2014, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Yea. It was interesting.

Hopefully a good race tomorrow.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 07-05-2014, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Rain is great. Button's joy at being P3 was wonderful. Looking forward to tomorrow.

NOTE: It is on CNBC at 7:30AM EDT, the listing says "F1 Quali" but it is on for three hours. The NBCSN broadcast is delayed until the afternoon.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I have to wonder what is going on with Hamilton. At the last race, he runs wide his first qualifying lap, invalidating the lap time and then waits to the last moment to try to get a good one in and screws that one up. This time he passes up a last lap. I would think that if you have a top car, unless you are in first or second, you make sure you have a good lap going into the last minute and you go for it every time.

I think he is his own worst enemy.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Most awesome result if you're a Hamilton fan....
Old 07-06-2014, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cairns View Post
Most awesome result if you're a Hamilton fan....
It was. Also great race between the world champs in 5th and 6th. Almost couldn't believe my ears as they tried to rat each other out to the officials for a disqualification(for the other guy). They didn't seem to be having as much fun as I thought. Think they would have sold their grammas for that 5th place. A lot of B and B (*****in' and bellyachein' for two pros. All in good fun though. Great race at a great track.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Glad Kimi is okay. Would have liked to see Button pass Riccardo. Botas amazing from back in the pack. Watching Alonso and Seb dice it up was great fun.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Interesting that nothing was done by the FIA in response to Vettel repeatedly running off the track in the faster corners to gain some speed for the following straights, especially in light of their 'no-tolerance" policy during qualifying. So much for their pronoucement that "The FIA also clarified that any driver who gained a "clear and lasting advantage" during the race by leaving the track at the same turns would be reported to the stewards."

Non-permanent stewards are one of the worst features of modern racing. Most races, two out of the three have never sat in a racing car...

JR
Old 07-06-2014, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I was surprised that the winner complained about the trophy not being "gold".

It wasn't much of a trophy, but it was kinda classless to *itch about it. Probably embarassed the Silverstone club a bit I would think.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

There's more to the story. There is a gold trophy that was given out in the past. A Google search will find it for you...

And, apparently the bottom of Hambone's trophy fell off on the podium. People have *****ed about the Santander trophies for years. There was an FIA spec for it, it was supposed to resemble a traditional cup, yet Santander typically made theirs in the shape of their corporate logo, or something similar.

Odd.

JR

Last edited by javadog; 07-06-2014 at 10:51 AM..
Old 07-06-2014, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by javadog View Post
There's more to the story. There is a gold trophy that was given out in the past. A Google search will find it for you...

And, apparently the bottom of Hambone's trophy fell off on the podium. People have *****ed about the Santander trophies for years. There was an FIA spec for it, it was supposed to resemble a traditional cup, yet Santander typically made theirs in the shape of their corporate logo, or something similar.

Odd.

JR
Then I don't blame him for bellyaching. Did kinda look like a plastic piece of junk.

Thanks for the info
Old 07-06-2014, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

A little disappointed by the commentary this round - only because usually those guys are better than that...pushing drama that wasn't there IMO.

"Hamilton only starting 6th, catastrophy etc... " => Hamilton is 2nd or 3rd at the end of the first lap pretty much no matter where he starts, if you look at the races this year... best car, a second a lap faster that the rest, on a bad day.

"Rosberg has an unsurmountable lead of 29 points".... Seriously, that's *one* DNF, with a ton of races left, guess what happened today... Hobbs curse ;-)

"Magnussen this and that", it was Button, thanks... One of the 3 might have noticed...
More Hoopla about Button really catching the guy in front on the last lap, "at a second a lap", yet 2.9 sec behind with one lap to go... Really ? pretty sure the math means "no drama"...

Hobbs is funny, I like him. I think he should do Diffey's job, and they should bring an actual Ex-F1 racer that drove those cars a little more recently, to keep things in check ;-) Maybe one of the US young guns currently unemployed...
Old 07-06-2014, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
^^I agree they need some younger blood. Another Brit that has raced in the last 5 years would work.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ury914/
Old 07-06-2014, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

Hamilton seemed uncharacteristically calm and mature during the race. Maybe he's come to realize that the only way he is going to beat Rossberg will be to have team members on his side. Acting like a primadonna doesn't motivate people to work hard him.

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 07-06-2014, 06:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Since the race was tape delay I watched on NBC Sports steaming and on the last lap with Button closing on Riccardo they went to an infomercial!!!!!! Then after a few minutes of that they went to the drivers pulling into the pits. WTF!!!
Old 07-07-2014, 05:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Since the race was tape delay I watched on NBC Sports steaming and on the last lap with Button closing on Riccardo they went to an infomercial!!!!!! Then after a few minutes of that they went to the drivers pulling into the pits. WTF!!!
Don't worry, nothing happened, despite the frantic comments in the booth ;-)

The only impressive parts of this race were Raikonnen's bonehead move trying to get back on track at all cost, and wrecking 3 guys' race (I dislike Masa but I'm starting to feel sorry for his bad luck), and the Alonso/Vettel fight which was at least as impressive as their whining on the radio ;-)

Although in fairness, Alonso wasn't whining about the pass but about the fact Vettel put 4 wheels off track to get into DRS distance (great mirrors on the Ferrari!!), which Charlie Whiting did not pick up on. Still, no matter, I'm glad they let them dice for a change. Too many penalties in the past.

Now I'm really interested in the dynamics @ Mercedes. Can a calmer Rosberg put another nail in the excitable Hamilton coffin, or was this HAM's resurgence (admittedly he's more talented over a lap, but seems more easily rattled). I didn't think ROS had a shot, yet he impressed me of late. Let's see if he can do it again... Oh, and Valteri, please win one for Williams !!! (Gotta go get me a Martini T-shirt)
Old 07-07-2014, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilk View Post
I have to wonder what is going on with Hamilton. At the last race, he runs wide his first qualifying lap, invalidating the lap time and then waits to the last moment to try to get a good one in and screws that one up. This time he passes up a last lap. I would think that if you have a top car, unless you are in first or second, you make sure you have a good lap going into the last minute and you go for it every time.

I think he is his own worst enemy.
I think he is cracking under the pressure. When asked why he abandoned his last lap, he said I don't know what I was thinking. I don't think he was thinking, I think his brain just cracked.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kang View Post
I think he is cracking under the pressure. When asked why he abandoned his last lap, he said I don't know what I was thinking. I don't think he was thinking, I think his brain just cracked.
Not really. They know what their splits are while driving and his lap started slower than his best. He didn't think he would be able to improve his time and normally, he would probably be correct. What he didn't know was that the conditions were improving in the last sector and the guys that were posting faster times were making it up in that part of the track.

It was an unusual circumstance and his team should have been on the radio telling him this. They can see it on the timing screens and he can't see it until he gets to that section of the track.

He's not stupid, it was just a weird end to the session.

JR
Old 07-07-2014, 06:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: