Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
I Have Failed

My DIL is active in Pit Bull rescue and was at the vets a few weeks ago with some PB pups that she was caring for. A couple came in with this Gordon Setter and wanted to have it put down. They were moving and it wasn’t convenient to keep him.
DIL went ballistic (as I would have) as there are so many options for an unwanted dog short of killing him. She told the vet she would take the dog and find it a home. Barnaby had been neglected and possibly abused. He was wormy and dirty and 25% under weight, but his physical symptoms were just the tip of the iceberg of his troubles.
Well, two foster homes later he arrived at my house. He was shy and wouldn’t eat at first by my two dogs, my fiancée, and I gave him all the love and attention he could want. Long story short, I couldn’t do it. The more comfortable he became here the more evident his emotional problems became and this morning I turned him back over the DIL, who is going to adopt him herself. I feel sad and guilty and I’m still not sure it was the best thing. I could probably have saved this dog myself but it would be at the expense of my dogs and my home. I feel like crap.

Barny got stuck in a bedroom for 5 minutes and tried to dig his way out.

Last edited by wdfifteen; 09-20-2014 at 01:52 AM..
Old 08-28-2014, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I understand completely what you are going through.

"Don't get so caught up in your right to dissent that you forget your obligation to contribute." Mrs. James to her son Chappie.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Turgid Member

Wow, man..... so sorry to hear that.

An abused and neglected dog presents a whole host of challenges which often take many years to overcome (if at all). It takes a long time and a lot of resources to build trust and confidence with the dog and you just didn't have those luxuries. Don't blame yourself, at least you gave him a chance and that's more than most people would do. Hopefully your DIL will have the time and patience to help him get through his issues. I've found that sometimes those turn out to be the best dogs in the end because they've seen the dark side and they eventually see you for the good master that you are.

Best of luck to both you and her, and thanks for giving Barnaby a shot.

"Man who go through airport turnstile sideways going to Bangkok"
Old 08-28-2014, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
How many other dogs do you have? Sometimes its helpful for the emotional problems for the dog to settle into a pack. Of course, s/t that does not ever happen. And hard on the well formed pack, with their "roles" within the pack, and to you defined and then all goofed up with the addition. Can DIL handle the fellow? At least the dog remains alive! Good luck!
Old 08-28-2014, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Fast Acting, Long Lasting

I'm afraid there isn't a "right way" to deal with that situation. Either path has some kind of consequences.

But, you "did right" by helping your DIL give the dog a chance. You don't deserve to feel guilty about that. You're a mighty good fella for trying to give him a home.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Cogito Ergo Sum

Garage
You gave it your best!

My grandma took in a little dog with a similar history. The dog still won't go to the bathroom not on a pad in the house, is neurotic, almost trips my 84 y/o grandma daily... If grandma didn't love her so much, none of the rest of us would let the crazy little dog hang around.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Deplorable Member

Garage
Sorry for your experience but you did more than 95% of people out there ever would. You're certainly no failure for that.

Here's hoping it works out with her. People suck. Neglect is a form of abuse and the previous owners deserve a heapin' helpin' of karma for being so reprehensibly poor in their behaviors.

Black Cars Matter
Old 08-28-2014, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile View Post
Sorry for your experience but you did more than 95% of people out there ever would. You're certainly no failure for that.

Here's hoping it works out with her. People suck. Neglect is a form of abuse and the previous owners deserve a heapin' helpin' of karma for being so reprehensibly poor in their behaviors.
^ ^ ^ ^
This.
You're a good man, Patrick!
- - Don R. 1994, an excerpt from My Ass From a Hole in the Ground - A Comparative View
Old 08-28-2014, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

failed..BS..
you can't save them all..
but you can try to make a difference..
as mentioned..
you tried..
thank you for that..

Rika
Old 08-29-2014, 06:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
You & DIL saved the dog's life, Patrick. I wouldn't call that a failure.

Maintaining a proper social environment for your family is important - 4-legged family that is. You can upset that dynamic by bringing in the wrong personality, so no need to explain any further what went down.

The important thing is efforts are maintained to continue to work with saving Barnaby.

No offense, but maybe his name isn't doing him any favors...hint...hint.

Thanks to you and yours for doing what you did.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Not a failure at all! Just an animal lover trying to help another creature that cannot fend for himself. You are a good guy, it shines through in post after post. Job well done.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
I was reading the recent Pit Bull thread looking for some old posts I had made re my DIL's activity in Pit Bull rescue, and came across this.
I'm happy to say 4 years later Barnaby is alive and well and living with my DIL. He chewed his way out of a wire dog crate once, destroyed a metal doorknob, and some other stuff. But he is on sedative meds now and hasn't gone ballistic on anything in years. He does well with rescue's foster dogs that come and go and is still a most beautiful dog to look at.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
a.k.a. G-man

Garage
heartwarming
32C Member #41

1986 911 3.2 Carrera (not stock)
1974 911 2.7 9114102230 SOLD
Old 01-15-2019, 04:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Zink Racer

Not a failure, heroic effort more like it. We have two dogs and two cats. I see old dogs all of the time through a website we rescued a blind senior dog through who was a love and we had her from 12 to 14 1/2 when she passed. I would love to help them all and maybe when I retire we will do more directly. For now I give them money. You did great, I wouldn't have lasted half that long.

Last edited by jhynesrockmtn; 01-15-2019 at 04:59 AM..
Old 01-15-2019, 04:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
The Unsettler

Send a message via AIM to stomachmonkey
You tried.

It’s all anyone can ask.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
I see you

BTDT too.It was an abandoned Vizla hound and it was a terror. I had to giver her away due to damage done.

Old bikers don't get old by accident
equito ergo sum
Old 01-15-2019, 05:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

We had a foster for a while. Came from a kill shelter with some emotional problems.
The house still bears some of the scars...

He too has a forever home now. TBH the owners are better people than I could ever hope to be - that creature had some serious issues.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Wow! "Failure"? Hardly. Even amongst us dog lovers, that's putting in an admirable effort into a dog maybe too far gone. You did what you could.

I posted in the current pit bull thread about our experience with an emotionaly damaged and destructive rescue. After six months of training, love, and a position in a pack, I never made any progress, and made the decision to put her down as apposed to spending good money on ACL surgery. You just can't save them all.

Volvo V60 - Daily Driver (I love it!)
997 Turbo - FVD Exhaust, GIAC Tune - 542 dyno hp on 93 oct
1972 Chevy K-10 Pick-Up Truck Hugger Orange
Old 01-15-2019, 06:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Nice read.
Thanks for taking the time to close this thread on a happy ending.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
You do not have permissi

Get a copy of The Dog Whisperer series: https://www.cesarsway.com/
Great show. There's a lot of human personalities contained in them which affect the dogs way of acting. How we think and how dogs think are totally different. The anxiety disorders can be overcome but only the correct way of reprogramming will work. Else it's just banging the head against the wall. Doesn't work. Doesn't work. Doesn't work. Doesn't work. Doesn't work. Doesn't work. Doesn't work. Doesn't work.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: