Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Should I ask for it?

I've picked up playing guitar and have come to really enjoy it and have incorporated it into my unwinding routine when I get home from work. I've been playing an LAG, which is a beginners guitar. My dad has an old Hofner - what looks like model 449 from the late 50's. I've never seen him play it nor has he ever talked about it but I used to play with it when I was a kid. Would it be out of place for me to ask him if I can have it?

Old 05-27-2015, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
weekend wOrrier

Go for it. Worst he can say is no. You are family-it will stay in the family. He can always get it back. It will be getting more use than sitting around. Also, tell him you will get it to a guitar shop and have it refurbished/set up/new strings etc. If it's that old it might need a neck reset or fretlevelling or something. Offer to him you will have it done on your coin.

I collect old National guitars and I have one that I haven't played in a while. There was a young professional blues guitarist/singer who was playing nearby recently, and for a brief second, I thought I'd let him have it. It was a short second- but musicians want to see their instruments played and enjoyed.

Last edited by LEAKYSEALS951; 05-27-2015 at 04:51 PM..
Old 05-27-2015, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
B58/732

It's your dad. I would think you could talk to him without our advice?
Old 05-27-2015, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

For sure ask, I'd bet he will be happy to hear that you are playing and ready to move into a better ax, like his.

Hey Leakyseals, are you talking about those beautiful sounding metal bodied Nationals. If so can you share some pics of your collection. I love the sound of those guitars as well as the looks.

Cheers Richard

Last edited by tevake; 05-27-2015 at 05:02 PM..
Old 05-27-2015, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Unregistered

In my family I would either ask my father if it would be OK for me to BORROW it or possibly BUY it.
I would never say "can I have that?"
Old 05-27-2015, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
weekend wOrrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tevake View Post
Hey Leakyseals, are you talking about those beautiful sounding metal bodied Nationals. If so can you share some pics of your collection. I love the sound of those guitars as well as the looks.
yeah... It's a 1931 duolian that I found and rebuilt the neck on. Great guitar. I should get some pics up on an "ultimate guitar thread" or something. Like the OP's dad, I need to go scrounge it up and get these things out of their cases!
Old 05-27-2015, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkyJaunte View Post
It's your dad. I would think you could talk to him without our advice?
Haha. One would think but we have weird family dynamics. I wanted know if it sounded out of line to mostly normal people. I don't want to become the son/brother that's swooping in to take all dads stuff. After all, it's just sitting in the corner of his office and is missing many parts. Plus I've never asked him for anything so it feels awkward.

I think it will be a combination of sammys approach plus offering to refurbish it.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
King Broinyo

I wish I could still jam with my dad. He was a killer guitarist. i took his guitars, period.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
I'm with Bill

Just ask Dad if you can use it, not have it, not keep it, just use it. My daughter keeps trying to get my Strat but since I play that one more then any of them I won't let her have it, although I will leave it to her or replace it one day and she can have it.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Too big to fail

Garage
Send a message via AIM to widebody911 Send a message via Yahoo to widebody911
While you're at it, ask him if you can borrow the car next Saturday night!
Various VWs
Old 05-28-2015, 05:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

I agree with the comments suggesting you present the issue in a different way than asking him to give it to you. My suggestion is to tell him that you've picked up playing a little and wondered if he would mind if you fixed up his old guitar and played with it for a while. I'd make the point that now that you've progressed from a beginner's guitar that you treasure the idea of really learning how to play on his guitar, a guitar that you and he both have a connection to and that might be an area of common ground to you as adults.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: