Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Detached Member

RFID wallets

With more and more CC's with chips, I think it time to get an RFID wallet. On Amazon they start about $18-$28 for a nice Fossil or Columbia brand tri-fold. With the travel I do, it sounds like cheap insurance.

Old 04-03-2016, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
unsafe at any speed

I have been using a Trayvax original and really like it. Doesn't carry as much crap as my old trifold, but i needed to downsize anyhow.

Trayvax® Wallet For Life: Metal RFID Resistant Wallets – Trayvax Enterprises
Old 04-03-2016, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Cogito Ergo Sum

Garage
I have a carbon fiber RFID blocking wallet from Common Fibers. Very cool technology.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I've been carrying around 10 cards around for years everywhere and have never had a problem. Just saying'.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
I'm not that "hip" yet....
Old 04-03-2016, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Detached Member

Motion, Yeah, but $18-$28 is nothing. I hear/read that the chipped cards, which are relatively new in the USA are easy prey. I don't think the old mag strip cards are a problem. I don't travel as much as you, but I travel a lot.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to slodave
They did away with RFID chipped cards years ago.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Detached Member

So its a scam that I don't need to pay for a wallet? I need a new wallet anyway. I don't see the downside.

Last edited by Hugh R; 04-03-2016 at 07:40 PM..
Old 04-03-2016, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to slodave
I had a bank card about five years ago that was RFID. I liked it because I never had to take the card out of my wallet at 7/11 and a few other places. It was found that those chips were not secure and you could have a reader a few feet away that would capture the info when the chip in the cars became active next to the POS machine. My next bank card did away with that.

The new "chipped" cards do not work via RFID, but by actual contact in the card reader. The chip creates some unique info that is only valid for that transaction, so that if the card were "read" by a scanner, the info could not be used to make a fake card that could be used.

Now, if the wallets were super pricy, I'd say forget it, as you are paying a premium for something that protects from old technology.

All that said, even the new chipped cards are not perfect, but getting better.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion View Post
I've been carrying around 10 cards around for years everywhere and have never had a problem. Just saying'.
Agree with Rickard....Hype from the media is my guess...A chip and RFID are apples and oranges......
1960 Mercedes 190SL
1962 XKE Roadster (sold) - 13 motorcycles

Last edited by LakeCleElum; 04-03-2016 at 08:21 PM..
Old 04-03-2016, 08:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Costco have them for a decent price
Old 04-03-2016, 09:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Around here we have "pay wave" which means you do a proximity wave of the CC card at the checkout for transactions up to about $100 or so. What this means is if you have the bad luck to be within a meter of someones transaction you may end up paying for it. There are $5 CC sized envelopes that stop the cars being read so I think I'll get one. I've got the passport sized one already.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
Quote:
Originally Posted by wswartzwel View Post
I have been using a Trayvax original and really like it. Doesn't carry as much crap as my old trifold, but i needed to downsize anyhow.

Trayvax® Wallet For Life: Metal RFID Resistant Wallets – Trayvax Enterprises
Actually very cool and original!
Old 04-04-2016, 01:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slodave View Post
I had a bank card about five years ago that was RFID. I liked it because I never had to take the card out of my wallet at 7/11 and a few other places. It was found that those chips were not secure and you could have a reader a few feet away that would capture the info when the chip in the cars became active next to the POS machine. My next bank card did away with that.

The new "chipped" cards do not work via RFID, but by actual contact in the card reader. The chip creates some unique info that is only valid for that transaction, so that if the card were "read" by a scanner, the info could not be used to make a fake card that could be used.

Now, if the wallets were super pricy, I'd say forget it, as you are paying a premium for something that protects from old technology.

All that said, even the new chipped cards are not perfect, but getting better.
I just got a new Debit card for one account and it has the new style chip, no RFID. The reader HAS to be in physical contact to read the card. The biggest difference in the card is it is totally flat. The numbers are not raised up at all. It was printed there on the spot at the bank.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 04-04-2016, 05:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Band.

Send a message via AIM to Gogar
Older style "Blink", "PayWave", "Express Pay", and others where you

wave the card or tap it on the machine

Have RFID that can go a foot or two.

The new EMV "Chip Cards" do actually have RFID but the range is only about half an inch.
For now, Chip cards only will work "contact only", by inserting in the machine but as soon as the vendors all upgrade to the "contact only" machine, they will all be urged to upgrade to the "Dual Interface" version where a EMV chip card (with it's really tiny RFID range) can be tapped as well.

1973 Honda CB350F

Last edited by Gogar; 04-04-2016 at 06:38 AM..
Old 04-04-2016, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Fold up some aluminum foil in the wallet?
Old 04-04-2016, 02:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Detached Member

Amazon.com: HF RFID Mifare Card Reader USB 13.56M HZ 14443A Decimal 8H10D M1 S50/S70 Utralight MifareDesFire Contactless CPU card: Office Products
Old 04-04-2016, 08:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

My friend makes these. I've been using one of the prototypes for a few years and I love it.

Design Philosophy – improv minimalist wallet

Tim K
Old 04-04-2016, 08:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

I use a money clip... I bought some RFID protector for credit cards that are a PITA since they are hard to take the card in and out of. I now use them as bookends on each side of my clip instead, between the cards and the $. Total investment $1.50 I think ;-) And it came with some passport sized ones ;-) I'd recommend sticking a couple in your existing wallet.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: