Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I drove a new Mustang and I liked it

Confession time.....

I've been eyeing the 2017 Mustangs in the V-6 trim lately and finally this afternoon went and drove one. Well, I rode in 1 and drove 2.

Car #1: V-6 trim. I jumped in the passengers seat so the salesman could get it out of the tight spot it was in. Low oil pressure light came on. So he drove it to the service department.

Car #2: Well, this is the same color as Car #1 but its a 4 cylinder eco-boost model. Lets drive it anyway. Quite nice and quiet, not much road noise.

Car #3: Hey hey, its a V-6 trim and I'm in the drivers seat. Push the start button and "click click click" no "v'room". I look at the salesman and tell him I think the motor has a "knock" on this one (with a dead battery).

Car #4: It's a V-6 trim and it starts! Light tip in of throttle and holding through 3 of the 6 gears and we're already doing 50 mph. Not quite as quiet on the road. More like sitting alone at the beach and hearing the constant sound of the ocean. I suspect its the Hankook tires. But it drives really nice and tight. 70 mph is about 1800 rpm. Light throttle and we're doing 85 in no time flat on the interstate.

Why the V-6?
There won't be a V-6 for 2018. Only the Eco-boost 4 with direct injection (my friend fixes direct injection BMW's by taking off the intake manifold and walnut blasting the backsides of the intake valves that get crudded up so I'm not sold on direct injection from a long time maintenance standpoint as I typically keep cars a long time) and the other option for 2018 is the V-8 model. The V-8 is out of the budget for both the cost and insurance. Both the 4 and 8 spec premium fuel. The V-6 making 300 hp and 280 ft. lb. torque is happy with regular fuel in a 3500 lb. vehicle.

Then there are the incentives: $3000 customer cash back and another at $1900. These guys are ready to snatch $5,000 off the retail price of high 26k to low 27k. That's a LOT of car for mid 21k to low 22k.

What say you fellows?
Old 05-24-2017, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Band.

Send a message via AIM to Gogar
I say 2/3 of them had problems!
1973 Honda CB350F
Old 05-24-2017, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Slackerous Maximus

If budget is an issue, why buy new? They have been making the Coyote 5.0 since 2011. Take your time and track down a garage queen. Let someone else soak up the depreciation, and walk away with more car for less $.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

I bought my 2016 5.0 for $29,000. No options except for a full-size spare.

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 05-24-2017, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Do you like to play pool?
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 05-24-2017, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Non Compos Mentis

I rented a new Mustang, V6 convertible.

I actually popped the hood to verify it was only a six.
Had more oomph than my old 5.0.
Impressive car.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Functionista

Good car for the money but why do they have to make them so angry looking?
74 911, #3
I do not disbelieve in anything. I start from the premise that everything is true until proved false. Everything is possible.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Bandwidth AbUser

It's a visual aid for Cars & Coffee spectators, so they know to run for their lives.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
(the shotguns)

I drove a Ford 5.0 8 in the f150 and honestly loved the motor. Not sure I'd go v6 over that pretty sound.

and yeah, that many bad vehicles brand new would have me nervous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well i had #6 adjusted perfectly but then just before i tightened it a butterfly in Zimbabwe farted and now i have to start all over again!
I believe we all make mistakes but I will not validate your poor choices and/or perversions and subsidize the results your actions.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Cars and Cappuccino

Garage
Better stay away from Cars & Coffee events or at least raise your insurance limits. ; )
1977 Mexico Blue flared, 3.2, back date, sunroof-delete Coupe - in process.
1972 Black T coupe to Longhood Turbo R5 tribute car (someday)
Old 05-25-2017, 03:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Regenerated User

Garage
I don't care for the front. But there aren't many new cars I like.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

I had an old 2001 Ford Explorer with a V-6 and was surprised at how well it moved the great big vehicle around. I suspect the newer mustangs with the V-6 are probably much better.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 05-25-2017, 04:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

This. All day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardDrive View Post
If budget is an issue, why buy new? They have been making the Coyote 5.0 since 2011. Take your time and track down a garage queen. Let someone else soak up the depreciation, and walk away with more car for less $.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I agree that the most fun option in budget would be a slightly used 5.0

However, V6 mustang is a great value. ITs hard to argue with rear drive and 300HP for normally econocar pricing.

I do keep seeing very low mile C6 corvettes for low 20s as well.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH85Carrera View Post
Do you like to play pool?
You say that like it's a bad thing.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

The current V-6 Mustang is only 500 lbs. heavier and 55 HP less than an early GT3.

Let that sink in for a minute!

I had to figure out all the "cars and coffee" comments. Yeah, sad when people do stupid stuff. I'm in my mid 50's, no wife no kids, always had fun cars in the past that I tinkered with as a "car guy" but quite opposite of the fellow going through a "mid life crisis" I'm just looking for a new car with nice handling, good value and a full warranty for when things go wrong. Not ready to put down the wrenches completely, but I'm starting to think maybe there is more to life than maintaining old, fun cars.

The V-8 and Eco-boost Mustangs would surely be an invite to the "gold tooth wear your cap backwards flash inverted Star Trek hand sign hip hop culture". Those are the guys crashing the cars at the "cars and coffee" events. I want no part of that.

An earlier "garage queen 5.0" is out as well, especially pre 2015 models with the live rear axle. This new generation with the independent rear suspension are totally different animals. And I imagine even the nicest of "garage queen 5.0's" have been run pretty hard in their day.....caffeinated.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCadaddle View Post
The current V-6 Mustang is only 500 lbs. heavier and 55 HP less than an early GT3.

Let that sink in for a minute!

I had to figure out all the "cars and coffee" comments. Yeah, sad when people do stupid stuff. I'm in my mid 50's, no wife no kids, always had fun cars in the past that I tinkered with as a "car guy" but quite opposite of the fellow going through a "mid life crisis" I'm just looking for a new car with nice handling, good value and a full warranty for when things go wrong. Not ready to put down the wrenches completely, but I'm starting to think maybe there is more to life than maintaining old, fun cars.

The V-8 and Eco-boost Mustangs would surely be an invite to the "gold tooth wear your cap backwards flash inverted Star Trek hand sign hip hop culture". Those are the guys crashing the cars at the "cars and coffee" events. I want no part of that.

An earlier "garage queen 5.0" is out as well, especially pre 2015 models with the live rear axle. This new generation with the independent rear suspension are totally different animals. And I imagine even the nicest of "garage queen 5.0's" have been run pretty hard in their day.....caffeinated.
Rest assured, there is life after Porsche ownership. Some of it pretty good, matter of fact. There are more areas of life to explore. In a bit, I'll be driving a dirty from rain driving '09 Mustang to my favorite pool hall. There I'll be welcomed by people who couldn't care less about cars. Many of them have more money in their cues and cases than in their cars. Oh, I'll clean up the Mustang eventually..it's just that the past couple of weeks have been full of Medical appointments, getting the yard in shape, other aspects of life.

The Porsche? I got burned out. One can go to only so many car events before realizing it's awfully repetitive. Owning a car that became a sought after collectable while I owned it became a drag. An albatross around my neck, if you will.

However, I can tell you that my now obsolete old and slow by today's standards Mustang has been dead reliable transportation over it's 25,000 miles. Nothing more than a set of replacement tires, a battery replacement, and routine service. It's been a well balanced driver. Since that's what you seem to be looking for, by all means go for it!
Old 05-25-2017, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCadaddle View Post
And I imagine even the nicest of "garage queen 5.0's" have been run pretty hard in their day.....caffeinated.

finding a good condition used current gen mustang is a beyond trival task. They are everywhere, tons of people buy them as nice "sporty" commuter cars. Just make sure the owner is over 35 and you'll be fine

It might be a tall order at 22k though, probably have to get the live axel variant.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

But did it taste like cherry chapstick?

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 05-25-2017, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Man, you guys are brutal! And that's what I like about this place.

2 showers and a change of clothes later and I STILL smell like a new car!
Old 05-25-2017, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: