Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I currently drive a 2004 Mustang GT, and in a few years will be looking for a Coyote motored GT....probably another convertible. I have tried to like the V-6, and really appreciate what it does, but I just can't get past the sound of a healthy V8.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
least common denominator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCadaddle View Post

Car #2: Well, this is the same color as Car #1 but its a 4 cylinder eco-boost model. Lets drive it anyway. Quite nice and quiet, not much road noise.
Could you elaborate more on the eco-boost turbo 4 diving experience, if it were not for the direct injection would you consider buying one?

I ask because I am mildly interested, won't be buying for years but they have my attention.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Mustang is an insanely great performance value. Always has been.
I remember the Fox body was a V8 engine for $11k.

Solid rear axle? Put down the useless auto magazines.
and don't go off-roading in your Mustang.
Oh, and don't floor it when there are potholes in a turn.
Problem solved.

Last edited by sugarwood; 05-26-2017 at 11:22 AM..
Old 05-26-2017, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmandue View Post
Could you elaborate more on the eco-boost turbo 4 diving experience, if it were not for the direct injection would you consider buying one?

I ask because I am mildly interested, won't be buying for years but they have my attention.

I only drove the eco-boost 4 cylinder car on a 45 mph highway for a couple of miles and then on a backroad at 35 mph for another couple of miles. The 6 cylinder car I drove the same route and then jumped on the interstate for about 5 miles out of town then the 5 miles back. Seeing as how both these cars had only 3 or 4 miles total on the odometers, I didn't stomp down on them looking for horsepower. I imagine a lot of the difference in the road noise was due to the eco-boost car having better tires than the Hankooks on the V-6 car. Not that Hankooks are bad tires, there are just better tires out there.

Would I buy the eco-boost 4 cylinder car if it wasn't direct injection? Probably not. Like they say, "there's no replacement for displacement" and I just can't see a turbocharged 2.3 liter inline engine that makes 320 HP in a 3500 lb. car living a long easy life as compared to the 3.7 liter normally aspirated V-6.

Coffee anyone?
Old 05-26-2017, 09:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PEXlveDqUM
Old 09-24-2019, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

Mustangs are great cars, I’d happily drive a new GT with the performance pack. Or a used GT350.

One note regarding direct injection, it’s been pretty standard in most cars for years and most don’t have the BMW problems. I think even BMW has sorted the carbon buildup issue by now.
Old 09-25-2019, 04:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

My daughter rented a 2019 and I drove it on some nice twisty roads in Kentucky a few weeks ago. As far as I could tell, it was pretty much a base model with the Eco-Boost 4 cylinder turbo. It did have several modes (Sport, Track, Drag Racing, etc.) so maybe there was some sort of performance package option on it? Anyway, pretty awesome car. Surprisingly good power and power delivery - turbo lag almost non-existent (I actually thought it was a normally-aspirated V6 until I opened the hood). Handling/ride was excellent. Fit & finish was excellent. I could see it as a daily driver for someone so inclined.

Old 09-25-2019, 05:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

I've got the 5.0 and it is an absolute hoot. It handles better than any other car I've owned, and the includes a pair of well set up 944s. The suspension is tuned such that it doesn't lean in corners, but soaks up road imperfections with ease.

Just be careful around large crowds of people...

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."

Last edited by legion; 09-25-2019 at 07:17 AM..
Old 09-25-2019, 06:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: