Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
The Solar Eclipse

The total solar eclipse will be visible in Oregon. Mostly in Portland, and fully at a friend's house just an hour south, where we've been invited to watch.

Thing is, we had planned a trip to California to see the kids at the summer camp where they are working, and to see friends.

Wife wants to cxl trip and stay here to see the eclipse. I am resisting.

My interest in seeing the eclipse is about 3 on a scale of 1 to 10. Slightly above a bearded lady, well below a clean XKE. Yes, I get that it is a sight that we won't see again until I'm dead, but so what - there are a lot of things I won't see in my lifetime and it is just a "sight" that can be captured in photographs, rather than an experience like visiting a new country, a dinner with old friends, or a hundred mile ride over remote gravel trails.

In my opinion.

What say you?

Old 07-17-2017, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Eh....

Old 07-17-2017, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Now in 993 land ...

Garage
There was a partial one, I think, that I saw before. I don't recall. So it wasn't that big a deal apparently.

Your kids are certainly a lot more important than a couple objects lining up perfectly. JMHO.

If this was my wife, I'd just tell her to go see it and then catch up with the rest of the family. But we are a "not joined at the hip" couple ...

G
Old 07-17-2017, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Thread Killer

You're so not vain.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

The California ISO has been studying this because it can cause havoc to the grid. https://www.caiso.com/Documents/Briefing_SolarEclipse-ISOReport-May_2017.pdf

1989 Porsche 944 S2 - Guards Red - Rebuilt engine, LSD Trans, M030 goodies
Old 07-17-2017, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Back in the 1970s we had a partial eclipse when I lived in Alabama. I was a astronomy nerd back than and worked in a professional photo lab. I set up the longest telephoto lens we had on a tripod with no camera. I used the lens to project an image on a table I set up about where the camera normally would be. It projected a nice image of the sun and the eclipse was visible by all with no risk of eye damage.

We all watched and one the women asked what was getting in the way of the sun.

I told her a dragon was eating the sun but we were going to all die with no sun.

I guess I was wrong since we survived.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 07-17-2017, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyl View Post
The total solar eclipse will be visible in Oregon. Mostly in Portland, and fully at a friend's house just an hour south, where we've been invited to watch.

Thing is, we had planned a trip to California to see the kids at the summer camp where they are working, and to see friends.

My interest in seeing the eclipse is about 3 on a scale of 1 to 10. Slightly above a bearded lady, well below a clean XKE. Yes, I get that it is a sight that we won't see again until I'm dead, but so what - there are a lot of things I won't see in my lifetime and it is just a "sight" that can be captured in photographs, rather than an experience like visiting a new country, a dinner with old friends, or a hundred mile ride over remote gravel trails.

In my opinion.

What say you?
We will be going some place to view the total eclipse. Only partial here in NJ. Seems the best opportunity to view is in Nebraska. Best chance of clear weather. At this point leaning in that direction. One of our first thought was to go to Lincoln City, OR to view when it first hits the US. That isn't cost effective. We are also toying with the idea of going to a barrier island off McClellanville, SC to view as the last place the eclipse is visible in the US. This is iffy due to weather. Another idea is to go to the board of Kentucky and Tennessee and stand with one foot in each state as it passes over.

It is an event. Not only because of the darkness and it will not happen again in the US for nearly 100 years. But the temperature will drop twenty degrees in little over a minute and then come back up as the moon passes but also there supposedly will be a 360 degree sunset. Another reason to be in a very open and flat space.

Still leaning toward Nebraska at this point. Best chance of fair weather, open space.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Gallatin, Tennessee

I live in Gallatin, TN and it is a real big deal around here. We will get 2 min 39 seconds of total darkness so that will be pretty cool to see I guess.

The chamber of commerce said that they expect around 40K additional people here for the event.

Dave
Old 07-17-2017, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I will definitely be watching it. A lot of my friends in Europe told me how awesome that one was around 1998 and everywhere I went later that year had postcards of it. I get excited when I read about the ISS passing over my house, go outside and see it right on schedule. Very cool stuff.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
I seem to recall it will go right through Salem, OR.

It will be about 80% at my house, not going to drive 500 miles to experience totality.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyl View Post

In my opinion.

What say you?
What say me? I'm with you.
My g/f wants to meet her friends from Boston up North somewhere where it'll be a total.
Me? I'd rather hang out and build a rifle case.
I told her that she's welcome to call and squeal on the phone.
- - Don R. 1994, an excerpt from My Ass From a Hole in the Ground - A Comparative View
Old 07-17-2017, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
I'm with Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
I will definitely be watching it. A lot of my friends in Europe told me how awesome that one was around 1998 and everywhere I went later that year had postcards of it. I get excited when I read about the ISS passing over my house, go outside and see it right on schedule. Very cool stuff.
I am like you, these things geek me out.

I have been hinting at Mrs5543 that we should pull the kid out of school and drive up 700 miles to see it. Figured we could get close in a strategic location the night before and finish the drive in on some back roads and go exploring. Before and after, I cannot imagine trying to drive on interstates before or after.

I need to press her again. She just does not care. I think the kid will like it, ok ok it is more for me.
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser - Black Betty
2014 BMW i3 Giga World
Old 07-17-2017, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered

I was outside on a beautiful day about 25 years ago in NW Ohio, and witnessed a total solar eclipse. It was really cool to see the circular patterns of shadows on the pavement/sidewalks. It took about an hour for the moon to fully pass in front of the sun.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

I started reading about it, and now I'm good. I started to think of the song from the '80s with the lady singing about a 'total eclipse of the hot' haha.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusnak View Post
I started reading about it, and now I'm good. I started to think of the song from the '80s with the lady singing about a 'total eclipse of the hot' haha.
Do you mean Carly Simon, you're so vain?
Old 07-17-2017, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Old 07-17-2017, 02:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
I was outside on a beautiful day about 25 years ago in NW Ohio, and witnessed a total solar eclipse. It was really cool to see the circular patterns of shadows on the pavement/sidewalks. It took about an hour for the moon to fully pass in front of the sun.
You did not see a total eclipse, you saw an annular eclipse, which is just like any partial eclipse, but a bit darker.

The difference between a 99% partial eclipse and a true full total eclipse is like the difference between a 1976 912E and a 918.

I would not lift a finger to be able to own the 912E, I would trade family members into slavery and forgo 3 fingers to be able to sit in the 918 for 30 seconds.

I cannot fathom why someone would not be in the path of totality for this eclipse, especially if it's basically going to be in your town. The only reason to not go to this eclipse is if you happen to live in the path of the 2024 eclipse, *then* I might forgo it.

Really, totality is not just "I can see it in pictures". It is a complete event, do you really think that people spends thousands of dollars every few years to sit on frozen tundras or hike through rain forests to watch as many of these as possible in a lifetime, if they could instead "see it in pictures"???

1980 911SC sunroof coupe, silver/black: The Wurster
2006 Mazda3 5 door, M-speed exhaust: The Ricer
Putting the sick back into sycophant!
Old 07-17-2017, 02:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcar View Post
Bonnie Tyler... "Total Eclipse of the Heart", I think.

Carly did a Learjet to NS.
Yes, to see the total eclipse of the sun. Thought that was what you were refering to.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered

I used to think Bonnie Tyler looked old.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Model Citizen

It was actually the protagonist of the song that went to Nova Scotia to see the total eclipse of the sun.

Probably Warren Beatty, but maybe Mick Jagger. Whomever it was, his scarf it was apricot.

(Back to the eclipse. I'm close and I'm going! Traffic is going to be a fustercluck the minute the thing is over!!!)

Old 07-17-2017, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: