Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
"Pale Blue Dot"

Old 09-27-2017, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Here's a neat one I forgot I did. This is the Virgo cluster I posted earlier, but they I had done a despeckle with increasing radius until I had essentially "deleted" all of the nearby stars. Everything left in the image is a galaxy in that distant cluster.

Not completely related, but here is a Delta III rocket night launch. I took this from the beach...Cocoa Beach, about 10 miles from the launch Nikon F body with a Questar 3.5 inch scope. In the telescope eyepiece, you could read "USAF" on the side of the tube...

Crab Nebula

Saturn

Eclipse, Aruba 1998 (B&W film, 80mm refractor, I did my own darkroom processing, this was blown up something like 10x, then scanned a few years later to make it digital):

1980 911SC sunroof coupe, silver/black: The Wurster
2006 Mazda3 5 door, M-speed exhaust: The Ricer
Putting the sick back into sycophant!
Old 09-27-2017, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

The timing of this thread is great. We live far out in the country and I often go out at night and simply marvel at what I see in the sky above. Earlier this week, I started looking for a decent telescope for someone that wants to look closer at some of the objects in the sky without spending much cash. I did a little research and the reflector-type scopes came up as the best bang-for-the-buck. I have narrowed my search down to these two inexpensive models. What say the experts here? Are these two choices okay for novice's purchase if $200 is my limit?

https://www.amazon.com/Orion-StarBlast-Equatorial-Reflector-Telescope/dp/B06XSM4R74/ref=dp_ob_title_ce?dpID=41geR02qr%252BL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=detail

https://www.amazon.com/Celestron-31042-AstroMaster-Reflector-Telescope/dp/B000MLL6R8/ref=nsa_prb_sm_n_au_dka_US_pr_prb_0_0?adId=B000MLL 6R8&creativeASIN=B000MLL6R8&linkId=af6c99962dc3f544dabbc09b3a576f21&tag=opticsden-20&linkCode=w48&ref-refURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.opticsden.com%2Fbest-telescopes%2F&slotNum=0&imprToken=2ecoyRhLQaoEDp1nK6gmdw
Old 09-27-2017, 03:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
I see you

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireant911 View Post
The timing of this thread is great. We live far out in the country and I often go out at night and simply marvel at what I see in the sky above. Earlier this week, I started looking for a decent telescope for someone that wants to look closer at some of the objects in the sky without spending much cash. I did a little research and the reflector-type scopes came up as the best bang-for-the-buck. I have narrowed my search down to these two inexpensive models. What say the experts here? Are these two choices okay for novice's purchase if $200 is my limit?

https://www.amazon.com/Orion-StarBlast-Equatorial-Reflector-Telescope/dp/B06XSM4R74/ref=dp_ob_title_ce?dpID=41geR02qr%252BL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=detail

https://www.amazon.com/Celestron-31042-AstroMaster-Reflector-Telescope/dp/B000MLL6R8/ref=nsa_prb_sm_n_au_dka_US_pr_prb_0_0?adId=B000MLL 6R8&creativeASIN=B000MLL6R8&linkId=af6c99962dc3f544dabbc09b3a576f21&tag=opticsden-20&linkCode=w48&ref-refURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.opticsden.com%2Fbest-telescopes%2F&slotNum=0&imprToken=2ecoyRhLQaoEDp1nK6gmdw
The Optical Tube Assemblies (OTAs) are probably good enough provided that they are not knock offs. But the tripod can really mess up your viewing if it isn't solid. If it shakes in a breeze or quivers every time you touch the OTA your image will get very messed with and you will get very frustrated. FWIW

Old bikers don't get old by accident
equito ergo sum
Old 09-27-2017, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
Model Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Hahl View Post
Incredible stuff Mike, thanks!
Eric, if you happen to get a chance, could you take a pic of your setup?
Old 09-27-2017, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Subscribed!

This will be my hobby in about 10 years when I can force myself to slow down enough to really get into it. Have always loved astronomy and have had a few Meade refractors in the past, but the photography aspect is really intriguing to me.

Some really nice work here in this thread!
Old 09-27-2017, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by herr_oberst View Post
Eric, if you happen to get a chance, could you take a pic of your setup?

Old 09-27-2017, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:

Those a both great scopes for just trying out the hobby. They are cheap but the optics are surprisingly good. You will have to learn how to collimate the optics for the best results but its easy to do. As mentioned above, the mount is key to taming the wobbles.
Perhaps a 6" or 8" Dobsonian reflector would be even better. No EQ mount to mess around with, no tracking, just put it on the ground and move it around by hand. Super simple and a great aperture to see a variety of stuff.
Lots of used telescopes like this on craigslist for cheap.0
Old 09-27-2017, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Model Citizen

Impressive gear!! That tripod looks like you could forge hot iron billet on it.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Garage
I learned some new processing techniques this evening and applied them to my Orion image. Pretty proud of this as I've only been doing this for about 2 months now.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Quote:
I learned some new processing techniques this evening and applied them to my Orion image. Pretty proud of this as I've only been doing this for about 2 months now.

Well then....I can't wait to see your results when you learn how to do this stuff .

Impressive...thanks!
Old 09-27-2017, 08:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Quote:

I've taught hundreds of people about the sky, about telescopes, and about how to start doing it yourself.
Number 1 rule is, if your equipment is too hard to use, you won't use it. Period. Too complex, too heavy, too expensive, too time consuming, too much work getting set up, etc. If it becomes work to go spend an hour looking at the sky, then you will never do it again.
Beginners need something that gives a huge amount of return for any effort. As you get more and more into it, you will deal with more effort for incrimentally smaller and smaller returns.

The easiest way to start checking out the sky is a good pair of 7x50 binoculars, and a decent star chart (although, the phone based star charts are impressive these days...).
The second best option is a 6 inch dobsonian style. It will take the average new amateur 2+ years to run out of stuff that a 6 inch scope can see. At that point, you'll be advanced enough to know what you're future plans are. Maybe, go with an 8 inch dobsonian if you plan on primarily spending time in your own backyard. If you're going to travel at all (down the street, or drive outside of town) then stick with the 6 inch.

As for 6 inch dobs, any brand is pretty equal (Meade, Celestron, Orion).

After a bit of time, maybe add on some digital setting circles, which will let you start to hunt down things that are harder to find. I wouldn't start with them though.

Old 09-27-2017, 09:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Took the green out, good. Your camera obviously is very sensitive to the green, it's trying to replicate your eye's response instead of bring "true". All of that green-yellow halo in the first picture is false, it comes from that specific CMOS chip sensitivity.

Old 09-27-2017, 09:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
I see you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazuzu View Post
If you're going to travel at all (down the street, or drive outside of town) then stick with the 6 inch.

As for 6 inch dobs, any brand is pretty equal (Meade, Celestron, Orion).

I've heard that the open trellis tubes for the Dobs make traveling a lot easier.

equito ergo sum
Old 09-27-2017, 09:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatbutt View Post
I've heard that the open trellis tubes for the Dobs make traveling a lot easier.
Yes, you can collapse a 12, 16, maybe even 20 inch truss tube scope into a hatchback.

The problem is that it takes some time and effort to put everything back together. Out in the field. On the side of the road. When you really want to be getting ready to look through the thing.

A basic solid tube 6 inch dobsonian takes 2 minutes to setup, and 2 minutes to tear down. You can take it out on the back deck and be looking at things in 5 minutes, and if you only have 20 minutes to spare? Well, you'll get 10 minutes of astronomy fun. A truss tube scope? 20 minutes to spare is 10 minutes too few to do anything.

Not a rank amateur solution. Maybe something to think about after that first 2 years.

Also, look at the production scopes. 6 inch dobsonian, $250. 6 inch truss tube scope, $800-900. Once you get past 10 inches, truss tubes are basically the only option, but under 10 inches, stick with a solid tube.

Old 09-27-2017, 09:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazuzu View Post

Also, look at the production scopes. 6 inch dobsonian, $250. ....
Is that a complete setup? Can you rcommend a specific model? My rural property is relatively pitch black to where I currently live...hmm
Old 09-28-2017, 02:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

That was two votes for a Dobsonian-type (thanks Eric Hahl and Pazuzu). Although I saw conflicting information in my searching, is the primary difference in a Dobsonian and Newtonian type system simply in the type of base? I discussed this possible Christmas present for me with my wife last night and she was thrilled!!! (I think I might know what I am getting for Christmas). Following the advice here, I found a new candidate and the additional aperture afforded by a 6" scope pays huge dividends! - https://www.amazon.com/Orion-8944-SkyQuest-Dobsonian-Telescope/dp/B001DDW9UW/ref=sr_1_26?ie=UTF8&qid=1506601964&sr=8-26&keywords=dobsonian+telescope
Old 09-28-2017, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Although I saw conflicting information in my searching, is the primary difference in a Dobsonian and Newtonian type system simply in the type of base?
Yes. A Dobsonian is a Newtonian telescope with a particularly simple base. Technically, a "Newtonian" telescope simply describes the use of mirrors instead of lenses, but more generally describes the long tube with a mirror at the bottom, an angled mirror at the top, and the light travels 2 ways through the tube.

John Dobson created the mount as a way to get the largest number of telescopes out to the largest number of locations for the largest number of people to use:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Dobson_(amateur_astronomer)

A dob requires that you spend time wandering the sky a bit, using maps and notes to find things. More like using a paper map and a compass to drive across country. The equatorial mount, with drives and setting circles and such, are more like using a GPS to get you there. You still find the same town, but one journey requires some exploring and brains, while the other journey just hands you the final result.

Dobs allow you to set up a telescope in 5 minutes, equatorial mounts require setting them up, adding pieces and parts, bolting things together, aligning the whole thing, you might be 30 minutes in before you actually look through an eyepiece.

The 6 inch Orion is a fine choice. I am a hardcore Amazon fan, but you might consider buying from Orion directly, the price will be close to the same, and they will send you lots of brochures/catalogs/info that will help you know what's the next few things to buy. Telescopes are like 911s, you need to keep adding pieces and parts on to customize them as you get more advanced.
Orion Telescopes & Binoculars: Official Site - Telescope.com

Old 09-28-2017, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)
I see you

Hmmmm. Pelican Star Party? My 102mm refractor travels easily.

equito ergo sum
Old 09-28-2017, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Pazuzu,
WONDERFUL advice!!! I checked Orion's site as you recommended and it is actually cheaper when considering the cost of shipping PLUS there are some freebies included! Thanks for sharing your wisdom, knowledge, and experiences in this area. I am looking forward to observing the skies... and I bet that I do not even have to wait until Christmas.

Old 09-28-2017, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: