Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireant911 View Post
Eric,
PM sent! I am incredibly excited about this.
Now you don't need that 2x Barlow!

'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 10-04-2017, 04:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)
(the shotguns)

how about some pics?

maybe a thread documenting your journey into this hobby?
Well i had #6 adjusted perfectly but then just before i tightened it a butterfly in Zimbabwe farted and now i have to start all over again!
I believe we all make mistakes but I will not validate your poor choices and/or perversions and subsidize the results your actions.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)

Garage
Beautiful Harvest Moon coming up here.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)

Garage
Our daughter has an entry level scope, not sure the brand even, that we use now and then. We are lucky ni that there isn't a lot of LP in our little area and we regularly see sats and the space station glide by. Sometimes what looks like a sat but ins't and doesn't show up in the Heavens Above tracking app. We knew it wasn't a satellite because even though it traversed the sky in a similar fashion and speed, but it was doing s turns. All of us saw it and looked at each other and asked "Did that really alter direction up there".

Anyway, it is a great hobby we all enjoy. Is there a way to attach a small camera to those types of tubes?

"Don't get so caught up in your right to dissent that you forget your obligation to contribute." Mrs. James to her son Chappie.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)

Garage
Lots of ways to connect just about any camera or cell phone, or...

https://www.google.com/search?q=digiscoping+adapter&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi6nfDavNzWAhVY42MKHRO6AV4Q_AUICigB&biw=1340&bih=895
Old 10-06-2017, 10:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)

I loved looking at the pictures & reading about this hobby you guys are enjoying but I'm not interested in taking it up. I did have it as a hobby as a kid in elementary school though when we lived in a little town at 4K' elevation. I did odd jobs around the neighborhood during the summer and saved my money. When I had enough, I ordered a 30x40mm refracting telescope from the Sears catalog. I'd set it up on a stool in the front yard on cool nights and look at things - especially the planets and moon. Of course I could see the craters on the moon, make out the polar cap on Mars and the rings of Saturn along with the larger moons of Jupiter. I also made a filter out of four welding lenses to see sun spots. I became familiar with the night sky and a bunch of the major stars, and that familiarity has remained with me. I still find the whole topic fascinating.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)

Garage
The Andromeda Galaxy. About 2.2 million light years away and closing.

Shot with my Fuji X-Pro 1 and Skywatcher 120. If I remember correctly about 1 hour of total exposure time.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)

Garage
M33, another nearby neighbor.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Hahl View Post

Shot with my Fuji X-Pro 1 and Skywatcher 120. If I remember correctly about 1 hour of total exposure time.

Assume the individual stars that you see are in our Milky Way... the big ones are other galaxies (and some of the small ones)...
Old 10-06-2017, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)
(the shotguns)

Quote:

So this sort of thing requires a computerized mount that follows the target right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well i had #6 adjusted perfectly but then just before i tightened it a butterfly in Zimbabwe farted and now i have to start all over again!
I believe we all make mistakes but I will not validate your poor choices and/or perversions and subsidize the results your actions.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)

Eric,
The two eyepieces completed their southeastern journey today and arrived in my hands. I am way excited about using the scope and these wonderful eyepieces you sent!!! This was an extremely kind act from you and is very much appreciated. Unfortunately, because construction began two weeks ago on our home, I have not even unboxed the telescope I received last week... Also, per a link you provided a few posts above, I will be ordering the cellphone holding device and will be attaching some pictures of the heavens on this thread - of course, my pictures will be of much closer bodies but there is a lot to see that is close by. You have a PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcar View Post
Assume the individual stars that you see are in our Milky Way... the big ones are other galaxies (and some of the small ones)...
Correct. There are 3 galaxies in that picture, the obvious giant one, the large fuzzy ball at 3 o'clock from that, and there is the edge of one right on the top edge of the picture. Everything else is a star nearby to us, in our own galaxy.
The individual stars are anywhere from, say, 10-5000 lightyears away, while the Galaxies are 2.5 million light years away.

The 2 smaller galaxies are called satellite galaxies, they actually orbit around the main one (over some hundreds of millions of years each orbit, they've only gone around maybe 20 times since they formed).

1980 911SC sunroof coupe, silver/black: The Wurster
2006 Mazda3 5 door, M-speed exhaust: The Ricer
Putting the sick back into sycophant!
Old 10-12-2017, 08:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)

Garage
Got a couple new scopes and astro camera for Xmas.
Old 12-26-2017, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Got a couple new scopes and astro camera for Xmas.
Wow, very nice!

Now you are going to have to take some pics and show us your results.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 12-26-2017, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazuzu View Post
Correct. There are 3 galaxies in that picture, the obvious giant one, the large fuzzy ball at 3 o'clock from that, and there is the edge of one right on the top edge of the picture. Everything else is a star nearby to us, in our own galaxy.
The individual stars are anywhere from, say, 10-5000 lightyears away, while the Galaxies are 2.5 million light years away.

The 2 smaller galaxies are called satellite galaxies, they actually orbit around the main one (over some hundreds of millions of years each orbit, they've only gone around maybe 20 times since they formed).
Fantastic... thank you.
Old 12-26-2017, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)

Garage
So I got a new program for astro imaging and re-processed my Orion shot. I dig it.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)

Garage
That's an awesome picture Eric.
Thanks for sharing it.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #97 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks! You're welcome.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #98 (permalink)

retired, mostly

You guys are into astronomy?
That's totally awesome. I'm a Scorpio on the Sagittarius cusp ......
What's your sign?

Old 12-28-2017, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #99 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyg2 View Post
You guys are into astronomy?
That's totally awesome. I'm a Scorpio on the Sagittarius cusp ......
What's your sign?

My sign is STOP! Please!!! LOL.

Old 12-28-2017, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #100 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: