Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
I see you

any of the pros know this CCD?

https://www.astronomics.com/celestron-nightscape-ccd-camera_p19460.aspx

Old bikers don't get old by accident
equito ergo sum
Old 09-28-2017, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)

Garage
Here's a shot from the last 2 nights of imaging. This is my first attempt at capturing a globular cluster. They are very small targets so this image is quite heavily cropped.

It got fairly windy on me both nights and I'm still trying to figure out this autoguiding but hey, I think kits cool.

Old 09-28-2017, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireant911 View Post
The timing of this thread is great. We live far out in the country and I often go out at night and simply marvel at what I see in the sky above. Earlier this week, I started looking for a decent telescope for someone that wants to look closer at some of the objects in the sky without spending much cash. I did a little research and the reflector-type scopes came up as the best bang-for-the-buck. I have narrowed my search down to these two inexpensive models. What say the experts here? Are these two choices okay for novice's purchase if $200 is my limit?

https://www.amazon.com/Orion-StarBlast-Equatorial-Reflector-Telescope/dp/B06XSM4R74/ref=dp_ob_title_ce?dpID=41geR02qr%252BL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=detail

https://www.amazon.com/Celestron-31042-AstroMaster-Reflector-Telescope/dp/B000MLL6R8/ref=nsa_prb_sm_n_au_dka_US_pr_prb_0_0?adId=B000MLL 6R8&creativeASIN=B000MLL6R8&linkId=af6c99962dc3f544dabbc09b3a576f21&tag=opticsden-20&linkCode=w48&ref-refURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.opticsden.com%2Fbest-telescopes%2F&slotNum=0&imprToken=2ecoyRhLQaoEDp1nK6gmdw
It's a shame their budget isn't $250. This style of scope is pretty much the gold standard for beginners on a budget.
Orion SkyQuest XT4.5 Classic Dobsonian Telescope | Orion Telescopes
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 09-29-2017, 05:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazuzu View Post
I've taught hundreds of people about the sky, about telescopes, and about how to start doing it yourself.
Number 1 rule is, if your equipment is too hard to use, you won't use it. Period. Too complex, too heavy, too expensive, too time consuming, too much work getting set up, etc. If it becomes work to go spend an hour looking at the sky, then you will never do it again.
Beginners need something that gives a huge amount of return for any effort. As you get more and more into it, you will deal with more effort for incrimentally smaller and smaller returns.

The easiest way to start checking out the sky is a good pair of 7x50 binoculars, and a decent star chart (although, the phone based star charts are impressive these days...).
The second best option is a 6 inch dobsonian style. It will take the average new amateur 2+ years to run out of stuff that a 6 inch scope can see. At that point, you'll be advanced enough to know what you're future plans are. Maybe, go with an 8 inch dobsonian if you plan on primarily spending time in your own backyard. If you're going to travel at all (down the street, or drive outside of town) then stick with the 6 inch.

As for 6 inch dobs, any brand is pretty equal (Meade, Celestron, Orion).

After a bit of time, maybe add on some digital setting circles, which will let you start to hunt down things that are harder to find. I wouldn't start with them though.
Excellent point. If you live out in the middle of no-where with little light pollution, then a pair of binoculars is a GREAT option. Using just some super cheap binoculars where my mom used to live, I was able to easily see galaxies that I couldn't see with an 8" telescope back at my light polluted home in Houston. You didn't mention how old these folks are. If they are young and small, then the weight of 7x50 might be tough for them to hold steady in which case, something like 7x35 might be better.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC911 View Post
Is that a complete setup? Can you rcommend a specific model? My rural property is relatively pitch black to where I currently live...hmm
Mike is the man.

The two main folks in the dobsonian ranks are Orion and Zhummel. I had an 8" Zhummel. I think I got it because of the accessories that It came with, but the two are basically the same. Hell, they are probably made in the same Chinese factory.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Pazuzu,
WONDERFUL advice!!! I checked Orion's site as you recommended and it is actually cheaper when considering the cost of shipping PLUS there are some freebies included! Thanks for sharing your wisdom, knowledge, and experiences in this area. I am looking forward to observing the skies... and I bet that I do not even have to wait until Christmas.
Mike certainly won't steer you wrong. He's obviously got way, way more experience in this stuff than the average bear. The Dobsonian style scope is pretty much the best bang for your buck, and the 6" is practically the same price as the 4.5" so definitely go with the extra aperture. You'll love it and be amazed at what you can see.

Besides pretty amazing views of the moon, Jupiter and moons, Saturn and moons, and really, all of the other planets and several minor planets, and deep sky objects, you can also see and track satellites and the ISS. I was once able to track ISS in my old 8" (at low power, it's moving fast and hard to follow) which allowed me to see the structure of the thing.

Besides good star charts (I always liked these for something that I could print out)
Messier Maps

And for an amazing and free bit of software that allows you to do tons of stuff and includes satellites.
Stellarium
Old 09-29-2017, 05:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Hahl View Post
Here's a shot from the last 2 nights of imaging. This is my first attempt at capturing a globular cluster. They are very small targets so this image is quite heavily cropped.

It got fairly windy on me both nights and I'm still trying to figure out this autoguiding but hey, I think kits cool.

Wow, very cool. Which cluster?

Is that a galaxy in the top corner?
Old 09-29-2017, 05:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

Garage
M13 - Hercules. Yep, caught a Galaxy, IC 4617.
Old 09-29-2017, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Hahl View Post
M13 - Hercules. Yep, caught a Galaxy, IC 4617.
I was going to guess that but only because it seems to be one of the biggest and brightest so should be a good subject.

And for all of the folks wanting to get into visual observing, you do understand that what you see will your eye will never compare to what you can photograph, I hope.
Old 09-29-2017, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)

Garage
I stand corrected, 2 galaxies in there.

Old 09-29-2017, 07:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Nice!

I love visual observation, but I also love AP. It's almost as cool to take a picture and realize that you caught X number of DSOs that you couldn't see with your eyes in the photo.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

If you aren't already, this is the PelicanParts of the astronomy world
https://www.cloudynights.com/

They have forums for all sort of observations (solar, beginner, advanced), sections for Binoculars and other gear and a section for AP.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by masraum View Post
If you aren't already, this is the PelicanParts of the astronomy world
https://www.cloudynights.com/

They have forums for all sort of observations (solar, beginner, advanced), sections for Binoculars and other gear and a section for AP.
And used equipment classifieds!
Old 09-29-2017, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by masraum View Post
Mike certainly won't steer you wrong. He's obviously got way, way more experience in this stuff than the average bear. The Dobsonian style scope is pretty much the best bang for your buck, and the 6" is practically the same price as the 4.5" so definitely go with the extra aperture. You'll love it and be amazed at what you can see.
I just placed an order for the Orion SkyQuest XT6 Classic Dobsonian Telescope! My wife readily agreed to up my budget to $250... in fact, I think she is just as excited as I am about this scope.

masraum,
Thanks for the www.cloudynights.com link. I will be primed and ready when this scope arrives!!!
Old 09-29-2017, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)
(the shotguns)

Boy read up on those Orion xt scopes. Pretty amazing for the money. Might have to make one a Christmas gift to the family. Thanks for the tip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well i had #6 adjusted perfectly but then just before i tightened it a butterfly in Zimbabwe farted and now i have to start all over again!
I believe we all make mistakes but I will not validate your poor choices and/or perversions and subsidize the results your actions.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)

Garage
The Moon through the Skywatcher 120 telescope. Eyepiece projection to my cell phone cam.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)

Quote:
I just placed an order for the Orion SkyQuest XT6 Classic Dobsonian Telescope! My wife readily agreed to up my budget to $250... in fact, I think she is just as excited as I am about this scope...
Whoa, that was quick. I ordered the 6" Dobsonian on Friday at noon and it arrived today. Tomorrow I will unbox and put this machine together.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Whoa, that was quick. I ordered the 6" Dobsonian on Friday at noon and it arrived today. Tomorrow I will unbox and put this machine together.
Very nice. Good luck and enjoy. I can't remember the general guideline (I think it's 50x/inch), but I want to say that with my old 8" telescope I was pretty limited to about 300x as a max magnification. I assume that means with a 6" you'll be limited to about 225-240x. Of course, the "seeing" will often limit you down even more. But when/if you decide to get more eye pieces, I'd use 200-250x as a limit. I think you got a 10mm 1 1/4" eye piece which currently gives you a max of 120x - 1200mm focal length / 10mm eye piece. You could easily double your maginification by getting a 2x barlow which you can get for $30-40. I would suggest investing in one.

Planets are an interesting subject, especially Jupiter and it's moons and Saturn and it's rings and moons. I think right now Saturn is at it's maximum tilt so you can probably pretty easily see the Cassini Division (gap between the rings).
Old 10-02-2017, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Cool! Hope you enjoy it. I have a brand new 5mm Skywatcher eyepiece I'll send you if ya want it. Would give you 244x on that scope. PM me your address if interested.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)

Eric,
PM sent! I am incredibly excited about this.

Old 10-04-2017, 02:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: