Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 5 - Miscellaneous > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
A Bucket List Vacation

So, my incredible wife (33yrs married this Dec) hits me up with this vacation idea tonight. Since we love certain parts of Europe AND I want to drive (a P-car of course) the Alps and certain parts of Germany myself, she shows me the website for autobahnadventures.com and says "whaddya think"?! Knowing she's not big on the idea of "group" tours, this was very 'accommodating' on her part. It isn't cheap BUT 12 nights throughout Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Italy, in a Porsche with accommodations and food (all top notch) you aren't doing on a budget. There are about 3-4 "free" days to explore on your own so it's not like you're joined at the hip with a few dozen other couples.

My question is; Anybody here done this tour, or type, and what are your thoughts? I've seen this group, along with others, advertised in Excellence for years. Is there a better choice?

I'd love to hear what others think.
Old Yesterday, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Never done one but I’d like to. Wife said she was open to the idea.
Old Yesterday, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

If you could find a place that rents Porsches you could probably design your own trip and itinerary.
Old Yesterday, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I could find you a place in England that rents Porsches , but I suspect costs would make somebody else’s itinerary a better option ...

Unless of course you wanted to do something real special like porsche-club-gb private camping at Le Mans 24hr

Off topic , but I reminder of how stupid humans can be when sorting holidays etc .

Around 2006 I was working in India 6-on/2-off , and the best part of the deal (apart from the wage) was you could spend your 2 weeks r+r wherever you wanted as long as flight costs were similar to a home journey , so I’d split my time between my home in England , socal , and wherever I wanted to party basically

So ... I decided lemans 24hr would be a blast and started my planning .
Ninemeister for a tune-up , changing r+r dates at work , flights from Mumbai to Manchester , lemans tickets , arrange meet-ups on the way to France etc.

On the first weekend home I was feeling all good about it and had started getting everything together for lemans the following weekend , and on Saturday afternoon went to visit one of my sisters .

I noticed my brother in law was looking at me a bit funny , but just put it down me looking a bit rough from the night before , when he finally said “shouldn’t you be in France?”

Yip , I got the date wrong

Over 4500 miles , and I arrived a week late .

Last edited by ian c2; Yesterday at 06:35 PM..
Old Yesterday, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Do it. Do your homework, but do it. Do something. The key question for you is what kind of experience you're looking for. If you enjoy having a stable group to share lunches and dinners with and have someone else do all the legwork, by all means - use one of the tour groups. I can't speak from experience because we're usually not enamored of spending so much time eating - we'd rather be driving, getting lost, stopping in some random town for a drink or a bratwurst, etc.

Of course, we've developed some level of comfort because we've been in the area before. We did an "organized" Danube tour in 2006 which was a great introduction, but the big take away for us at the end was "how hard can this be?" We've been back every year since with our own plans and have had a blast.

We've driven a lot of those roads - mostly in Germany and Switzerland. We've saved some of Austria and Italy for 2019 (we try to synch up with the Nurburgring 24 hour races and the 2018 dates are too early to have comfort the mountain passes will be open).

The scenery is stunning. The Alps are amazing. The postcard moments are around every corner.

Did I mention, do it?
Old Yesterday, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

A couple of irish guys I worked with in Dublin got an “Expedia” type online deal and flew to Germany one weekend and did the ring in their rental cars .

Apparently the smart car roadster was a blast , until they had to push it a mile or so away before they could call the rental company to say “it just stopped working”
Old Yesterday, 07:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Yeah , as kevin says : do it .

Just remember to get your dates right !!

Another time there was an online planned 964 blast around the country-side , so I rushed and pushed ruf and 9m to get my six-speed conversion finished , and .......

Flew back to England the wrong month

Tbh , with lemans , goodwood , public-day ‘ring , plus all the other great car shows and f1 etc I’d be doubting a planned itinerary of scenic vineyard routes could be a better bucket-list trip .
But the idea of somebody else arranging the schedule and logistics does have its positives ....

Last edited by ian c2; Yesterday at 07:57 PM..
Old Yesterday, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Another alternative-http://www.passo-tourismo.com/
Old Yesterday, 08:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Location: Manhattan Beach, California. Factory Delivery-Original owner-Retired engineer
Tour.

When we did a factory delivery (1986),
we had the car in Europe for three months.

Never regretted it.

Even lucked out with a Weissach tour.

Perhaps additional members will chime in
with location ideas.

Do the factory tour for sure, along with the Museum,
and Rothenberg.

On our recent visits, the Autobahn was very
busy, and staus are not uncommon.
pm me as needed.

^^^^^
This is not as frequent as it used to be.................
In the window of a bar in Hermosa Beach, California.
"Happy Hour prices during all car chases."
Old Yesterday, 11:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Coram Deo

Garage
Definitely look in to Passo Tourismo. I haven't been on their tours, but I've heard great things, and they have answered all my questions patiently. They have choices for group tours or individual, and they do it in classic Porsches rather than new.
Old Yesterday, 11:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
RDM: Thank you for your kind words. I look forward to seeing you on one of our tours next season!

nvr2mny: Hi! My name is Lars and I am the owner of Passo Tourismo. Yes, we offer (probably) everything that are interested in for your Bucket List Vacation. We have a small (7) fleet of classic, air-cooled 911s and tours (both group and individual), that are turn-key, ranging from 1 to 5 days. Feel free to contact me and we'll find the right package for you.

All the best,

Lars

Blutorange '73 2.4T Targa, Guards' Red '81 Ruf SCR 34 Tribute and assorted 3.2 Liter Carreras at "The Road Trip of a Lifetime"
Old Today, 12:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Lars thank you for this.
Great to know there are air cooled tours, I will try to fit this into my next trip over.
Old Today, 05:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

On my bucket list as well. Yes it's a lot of money but you are buying memories. 1 kid in college and 1 high school freshman means my trip is on hold. Maybe next year for my 50th b-day?
Old Today, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
reachme: I thank you for your interest. As a matter of fact, when I founded the business in 2009, it was Pelicans that were at the front of my mind. Basically, I had folks like us in mind. Folks that have air-cooled 911s and want to drive them on the roads they were built for. When you're up for one of our tours, we'll be waiting...

bdisco: I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience. Yes, it does cost money. But, our tours are purposely not "over the top" and the memories will last a very long time, if not forever. A 50th birthday next year? Sounds like excellent timing to do this! Feel free to reach out whenever you're ready!

Blutorange '73 2.4T Targa, Guards' Red '81 Ruf SCR 34 Tribute and assorted 3.2 Liter Carreras at "The Road Trip of a Lifetime"
Old Today, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

The cost of that tour is eye watering but .... you only live once.
Disposable Car: BMW 530xiT, Audi A3S
Old Today, 07:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Administrator

I haven't done this, but it sounds amazing! I hope you two are able to do it and enjoy your time together.
Old Today, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Planning down to a gnat's ass is overrated. Rent the car and start driving.
Accommodation is pretty easy in just about every village in Europe.
Old Today, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
There are several hire car agents in Europe that have luxury cars. Sixt has Jaguar F type. Just do your Google search and you can find what you are looking for.

I spent three wonderful years living in Bavaria. Never took a tour.

Rent the car and do your own thing. You will be much happier. You can go to the out of the norm locations that the tour will not. You can stop when you want, eat where you want, and so on. You can also choose your accommodations with a price to suit your budget and class of service.

One word of advice, don't drive to Prague. Most car rental companies used to restrict that due to theft. No joke, you have been warned.

A great drive is to start in Garmisch Germany, go over the mountain B roads to Innsbruck Austria, then the Brenner Pass to Northern Italy and down to Venice. That is a great mix of twisty mountain roads and Autostrada. Tell Frau Bruting I said Hallo
1995 993 Carrera 4 SOLD
2004 Land Rover Discovery II G4 Edition (Sold )

Last edited by matthewb0051; Today at 11:43 AM..
Old Today, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: