Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
from what i've seen of you on other portions of this website, while i have the knowledge you need, i can't find it in myself to help you
Old 12-27-2017, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeder View Post
Looks great, would I have to wind each wire like regular electrical tape or is it applied lengthwise?
Apply just like regular electrical tape and it will eventually fuse together.
Old 12-27-2017, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by carambola View Post
from what i've seen of you on other portions of this website, while i have the knowledge you need, i can't find it in myself to help you
I've already gotten the help I need from people better than you. If everyone let PARF determine who they help on technical issues, this board would suck. It doesn't suck.

I'm glad you chimed in, though. I'd have never known you exist, otherwise.
Old 12-27-2017, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
It's out of the car and there on the bench? I would rather solder in new wire than try to wrap all that in tape.
Old 12-27-2017, 04:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

When your wiring starts snapping the coating when bent, it's time to replace the offending wires with new. I have seen situations where only the end 6"-12" of the plastic insulation has become brittle (and breaks easily), and can either be cut back, or splice in a new wire, or replace all the way from the connector.

I wouldn't try to fix the wires in the picture because the coating will crack in in another place.
Old 12-27-2017, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
I've never been able to solder worth a damn. Maybe it's time to up my game. They would need to be tiny solders @ the triple plug in order to not have the wires short on each other.

I was planning on replacing all of the insulation on the copper wires, not just in spots. I'm going to examine the patient some more tomorrow. Thanks all!

Well, most all.
Old 12-27-2017, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Information Junky

I used clear heat shrink tube on my wife's W140.

The clear allowed the non-degraded color-coded sections of the wire bundle to be preserved.

The downside is that HeatShrink is less flexible.

But what do I know, you just called me an imbecile in PARF because you thought I had some thing wrong (but it was you who was wrong.) Nice guy eddie, eh?
Old 12-27-2017, 08:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by island911 View Post
I used clear heat shrink tube on my wife's W140.

The clear allowed the non-degraded color-coded sections of the wire bundle to be preserved.

The downside is that HeatShrink is less flexible.

But what do I know, you just called me an imbecile in PARF because you thought I had some thing wrong (but it was you who was wrong.) Nice guy eddie, eh?
You should stick to technical topics, where you are brilliant, as opposed to politics, not so much.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

You can use this to dip or paint on the wires but looking at them you should make a new loom with new wire. The resistance built up in the corroded old wires might not make whatever they connect to operate correctly.

Old 12-28-2017, 05:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
cycling has-been

I thought Lucas had a patent on biodegradable wire insulation?
Maybe it expired in the late 40's?
Bill K
Old 12-28-2017, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: