Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
We Were Always Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig T View Post
Take your first SS check and go buy something fun, like a new surfboard. Celebrate the fact that you were successful at the game of life and can now relax and enjoy the benefits of your hard work
That is exactly what my father did, only with every SS check - he planned very well and SS was his "gedunk" money which he spent on travel, cars, motorcycles and fun.

Congrats, Baz, I'm right behind you!

He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Winston Churchill
Old 08-01-2018, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #121 (permalink)
Unregistered

Buncha ole farts on this board.

Old 08-01-2018, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #122 (permalink)
Unregistered

After about the 100th time I told my wife that the dishes in the dishwasher were already clean and she was cleaning them again, I figured something out:

It's easier to just put them away when they are clean.

Didn't know where to put it so I put it here. Fine!
Old 08-01-2018, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #123 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyg2 View Post
After about the 100th time I told my wife that the dishes in the dishwasher were already clean and she was cleaning them again, I figured something out:

It's easier to just put them away when they are clean.

Didn't know where to put it so I put it here. Fine!
What's a wife?
Old 08-01-2018, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #124 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
What's a wife?
I think it's a term for someone who doesn't hear very well Baz....but can't say for sure .
Old 08-01-2018, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #125 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
Followup on this morning's meeting at the local SS office.

When you enter, there's a check in kiosk where you punch in your SS# and whether you have an appointment or not - then it prints out a ticket with a number on it....then you take a seat. I was called within' 5 minutes of walking in and asked to come to a certain partitioned booth, where I was greeted by a nice fella who was the administrator handling my account.

His responsibility was to verify I was who I said I was on my application so we went over a bunch of my personal and employment details until he was satisfied. It all went well. At the end of our session he printed out a calendar page with the payment schedule. For retirement benefits, they have 3 pay periods per month depending on your day of birth. Mine will always be the 3rd Wed. of each month and I set it up as a direct deposit so it will go right in.

So that's pretty much it. I will post again when payment is dropped into my account.

Bottom line is if and when you decide to apply for your SS retirement benefits...it's very straight forward and an easy process. It was for me, anyway....
Old 08-03-2018, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #126 (permalink)

Detached Member

Baz,

your tip about age 65 plus 30 days to get the additional 8% is invaluable. I never caught that when cruising theirs or other websites on the subject.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #127 (permalink)
Registered

Congrats on the smooth transaction .
Old 08-03-2018, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #128 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh R View Post
Baz,

your tip about age 65 plus 30 days to get the additional 8% is invaluable. I never caught that when cruising theirs or other websites on the subject.
That is a good tip for retiring at any age, and starting to collect. I plan on retiring at 62.1 years old.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
Quick update - my first benefit hit my bank account last Tuesday on the 7th. It was earlier than I thought and I didn't catch it until a letter came on Saturday confirming my account details along with a small brochure.

It still hasn't set in that I will have a monthly payment now without having to lift a finger.

I have also decided to let all my business licenses and insurance lapse as I won't need them any more with what I have in mind. It will be nice not to have that overhead - as well as one less thing (or things) to account to the man.....

1) city tax (license
2) county tax (license)
3) business insurance
4) workers comp exemption
5) state registration as an LLC
6) irrigation competency card

Bye Felicia......it's been fun......
Old 08-13-2018, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #130 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
That is a good tip for retiring at any age, and starting to collect. I plan on retiring at 62.1 years old.
I had not heard of this either. I guess Ill wait till 62.1 also.
1973 911t coupe / 3.2 (sold)
Gruppe B #057
Old 08-13-2018, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #131 (permalink)
Registered

Well deserved Baz......Congrats.......You have sit in motion a machine that can only be stopped by dying.......Deposits will come every month.....
1960 Mercedes 190SL
1962 XKE Roadster (sold) - 13 motorcycles
Old 08-13-2018, 08:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #132 (permalink)

Registered

Yesterday my wife received in the mail a SS statement seeing that she is 3 months away from being 62 . She is going to fax a copy to our financial adviser for him to look it over . She has not made up her mind yet ( do they ever ) but is leaning towards taking it at 62 . We'll see . Baz congrats on the new income source and waving good bye to some government fees
Old 08-14-2018, 03:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #133 (permalink)
Detached Member

Filed for SS and medicare today.

Between SS and medicare and not paying for COBRA my monthly income to me just went up about $3,300.

Like Baz, I'm not going to be renewing professional licenses and fees to the tune of several $x,000/year.
Old 11-01-2018, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #134 (permalink)
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC911 View Post
I think it's a term for someone who doesn't hear very well Baz....but can't say for sure .
Oh believe me, she hears EVERYTHING I say and remembers it too!
Old 11-01-2018, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #135 (permalink)
Unregistered

Quote:

Between SS and medicare and not paying for COBRA my monthly income to me just went up about $3,300.

Like Baz, I'm not going to be renewing professional licenses and fees to the tune of several $x,000/year.
Just in time, I heard they were wanted to give our SS money to a great big parade that is headed this way
Old 11-01-2018, 03:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #136 (permalink)
Detached Member

Sammy, I figure I might as well grab it while I can, hopefully I'll get Grandfathered on any future "adjustments".
Old 11-01-2018, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #137 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I filed for Medicare last week.
Plan on signing up for SS Dec 9th (30 days after my 65th birthday). Thanks for the tip Baz.
Old 11-01-2018, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #138 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
Quote:

Congratulations, Hugh! So far I'm really enjoying my semi-retirement. Still working but no big nut every month to crack.

BTW...at the last minute, I decided to re-up my business credentials. There is a fairly nice project coming down the pike I'd like to participate on. Also, I'm still conducting business so technically, this keeps me legal. To be honest, I'm happy I made the decision - but YMMV for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyg2 View Post
Just in time, I heard they were wanted to give our SS money to a great big parade that is headed this way
Quote:
Sammy, I figure I might as well grab it while I can, hopefully I'll get Grandfathered on any future "adjustments".
When I hear the talk of cuts, I'm thinking it won't affect retirement benefits, so FWIW, I think we're good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete3799 View Post
I filed for Medicare last week.
Plan on signing up for SS Dec 9th (30 days after my 65th birthday). Thanks for the tip Baz.
Congrats, Pete! You held out 1 more year than I did. I will file for Medicare next June.
Please keep us posted on how everything goes. Happy for you, buddy!
Old 11-01-2018, 04:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #139 (permalink)

I filed for Medicare a year ago but not using it as I am still working.

Trying to make 67 (13 months) before hanging it up but lets see how things go...

2013 Jag XF, 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins (the workhorse), 1992 Jaguar XJ S-3 V-12 VDP (one of only 100 examples made), 1969 Jaguar XJ (been in the family since new), 1985 911 Targa backdated to 1973 RS specs with a 3.6 shoehorned in the back, 1959 Austin Healey Sprite (former SCCA H-Prod), 2010 Jaguar XF (fast touring car), 1995 BMW R1100RSL, 1971 & '72 BMW R75/5 "Toaster," Ural Tourist w/sidecar, 1949 Aeronca Sedan / QB
Old 12-11-2018, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #140 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: