Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
83 SC

Garage
Installing Yellowbird bumpers, Part 1 removing existing bumpers

I have been debating for a couple years now which bumpers to get and have finally decided to splurge and get a set of Yellowbirds from Rennspeed Motosports.
They are orderd and on the way, to be delivered monday or tuesday. They would have been here friday but my wife conveinently forgot to tell me that they called friday to arrange a dilivery day and time.......

I have been searching the forums for awhile trying to get as much information on removing my excisting bumpers before installing my new ones and haven't found much to date. So I am going to document my experiance here and post it as i go hoping that others will find it useful.

I have very little experiance with car repair, engine or body, so will be self taught during this endevor.

going to start with the rear bumper:

I first took off what i am calling the front quarters of the reab bumper, with the bellows.

there are seven attachments. Three self tapping screws(8mm) along the top edge, two hex nuts attachment (10mm), and two locking nuts attaching it to the bellows.

these attchments are the same for both sides. on the passanger side it is a little more difficult. the oil tank does get in the way a little for the top three attachments. the first one, easy to get to, the second one was do able with a 1/4 drive socket with a 4" or 6 " extension. i don't remember which one exactley(sorry). the third one i found easiest to get to from the other end of the oil tank(rear bumper end) again 1/4" drive with a 6"inch extension(definetly 6" this time)

it started raining, so had to call it quits for the day(winter time might not be the best time in the northwest) i will post the next part when i get to it..

Last edited by CraigT; 01-16-2011 at 12:29 PM.. Reason: remove pic that didn't load, correct number of attachments
Old 01-15-2011, 10:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Hi

I have those waiting for my Carrera 3.0 to go back together again. I think you are going to love the looks of it.

When you remove the rear bumper, if you don't know all ready. I think you can just pop out the two small rubber plugs on the L- and RH side of the bumper. This allows you tomove the rubber strip on the bumper out of the way. Then you can remove the two nuts on each side that attaches the bumper to the crush tubes - Voila, the bumper comes off.

Good luck

Jesper
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 01-16-2011, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
83 SC

Garage
more pics and info

hi, got my bumpers today, i am to excited. i had just enough time to open the box and take a quick look, then had other things to do.

thanks to jsveb for pointing out these easy steps.

i got a chance to get the rest of the rear bumper off yesterday. to easy. all i had was an 8mm nut inside each bumper, and then to pop out the screw cover and using a philps head screw driver take out the screw. this released the black cover esposing the two bolts holding the bumper onto the crash pistons.

these are the little black screw covers,

behind is the 8mm nuts holding on the other end of the rubber strip.

here are the two exposed nuts holding the bumper onto the crash shocks. two on each side.

one important thing. the license plate lights. i unscrewed then from the rubber boobs and disconnected them. then reaching inside the bumper i pulled the wires through. i did this before taking off any nuts or the bumper. also i have a euro porsche and if you notice it has the rear driver side driving light. i also disconnected this.

here is my car with the bumper removed.

next onto the front one..
Old 01-18-2011, 09:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
83 SC

Garage
sorry here is a pic with the bumper removed.....

Old 01-18-2011, 09:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Nice job....

I'm trying to decide between a Yellow Bird or a full backdate for my SC.

I'm interested to see how this works out, good luck and keep the updates coming. I'm curious how they will mount to the chassis (fabricate brackets?), and what the paint costs will be.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
83 SC

Garage
thanks G450X, i appreciate the comments. when i get to those points i will post them for you.

So, the new bumper comes with studs that attached to the crash shocks. when i held up the ctr bumper to line things up and get an inital fit i found out that i needed to cut out for the exhaust before i could proceed with the fitting. for this i marked with a pencile aproximatly where i needed to cut and when to work.

if you are reading this before you decide to puchase or install take some measurments. it would be more acurate. i was off a little and had to make the exhaust opening larger as i went. it looks good but quit a bit larger then it needs to be. i will look for a double tip i can put on and even things out later.

here are the studs that attach to the crash shocks

i cut off the studs on the crash shocks and punched out the remaining porton fo the studs. then i drilled the hole to 1/2 inch. when that was done the bumper fit into the stud holes just like it should.

now the problem was that the crash shocks held the ctr bumper out to far. more then two inches on the drivers side and a little more then one inch on the passenger side.

humm, what to do???? guess i have to take the crash shocks off.

this was easy on the drivers side. more difficult on the passenger side. the oil tank is in the way. I didn't want to remove the tank to get to the shock so i stuggeled with it for awhile. i was fortunate that the shock was already loose so all i had to do was get a 17mm socket on the end nut and i could unscrew it from the plate end.

after getting the shocks off the bumper fit very well. i started on the passenger side. after getting some supports under the bumper to hold it up in the middle i lined up the bumper with the wheel well and clamped it there with a vice grip clamp. i found that the bumper was out to far and after inspection relized that a flang on the CTR bumper was up against the oil tank. this would have to be trimmed.

going to the drives side i found that the bumper was a good inch and a half out from the car. this wasn't to much to just use a little stregnth and pushing in a little got the bumper lined up with the wheel well and again clamped it with a vice grip clamp. i might cut two or three half inch groves in the corner to take some stress off this area from forcing the bumper in.

after getting it fitted and clamped i marked the first holes to attach the bumper on the top edge, on both sides. i then took it off and drilled those holes. after drilling i installed the bumper again and secured it with screws. when i removed the bumper it was attached with #8 half inch machine screws and speed nuts. you havre to increase the lenght to at least three quarters inch because the fiberglass of the bumper gets in the way for the old screws to fit, they just aren't long enough.

after getting the bumper installed again and clamped. i marked the other holes to drill. I used hot pink nail polish to do this. with the bumepr clamped and secure, from the top i used my daughters nail polish to mark from the top to the bumper, gave it a couple minutes to dry then took off the bumper and drilled the other four holes( two on each side).

Old 01-23-2011, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

yep, im slow in the head

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to carslutt
glad i found this, im on the fence right now. cant make my mind up, yellowbird bumpers or 964............

keep up the great posts
Old 02-09-2011, 08:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
83 SC

Garage
the top four holes are where the smile connects to the car. the bottom two are where the air dam connects. all are accessible from inside the boot.
the bottom right(looking at car) also connects the water pump for the headlight washers, again inside the boot.
what i didn't get in the picture are the crash tubes in the front(sorry). they are just like those found on the rear of the car...........
Old 02-16-2011, 10:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
83 SC

Garage
front bumper

here, on each side, is a hanger that connects the air dam to the car. the bumper is also connected with five or six(i can't remember right now) screw and quick nuts to the fenders. going from the wheel well around to the hood. i was fortunate and only had a couple screws connecting on each side.
but i will be putting in all of them when i connect my new bumper.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
83 SC

Garage

i do need a new oil cooler and horns. i will take care of the horns before i install the new bumper. i hope to have a new front mounted oil cooler by this summer, but i do need new brakes all around too. that might be a priority.....
Old 02-16-2011, 10:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
83 SC

Garage
Sorry left out important step

SORRY I LEFT OUT AN IMPORTANT STEP..................
What is the first rule of working on our Porsche's according to Wayne?????
TAKE PICTURES, and TAKE A LOT!!!! Which i have tried to do, but taking them doesn't always guarantee success. Not when you have teenage daughters that also use the same camera....lol.......I had pictures of the wiring for my front running lights, turn signals, and side lights, but they have been deleted before i could get them downloaded to my computer...[img]
I know i can and will figure it out, but if anyone does have soem pics of the wiring or information on what wire goes where i would appreciate hearing from you.
when i do get it rewired i will take pics and post them.

Last edited by CraigT; 02-18-2011 at 09:31 PM..
Old 02-18-2011, 09:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Senior Advisor

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to James Brown
Craig, i did this contact me if you need any help. James
Old 03-10-2011, 11:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: