Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
I spoke to Vik about refinishing my parts, easy guy to talk to. Here's his post:
Aluminum refinish
'14 Audi A6 3.0
18 Tesla ModelX 100D
Old 04-02-2014, 05:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcoastline View Post
RB- I am not trying to beat up your car. Just trying to help answer your question. You stated "40K mile car (documented). Trim, wheels, and paint all original." Who ever told you it was all original was wrong.

So what is it you would like to do with the car? Restore it to original or black out the trim?
Understood! No offense taken. I want to restore my car cosmetically. I should have it back in front of me by next week and be better able to discuss it. I don't think I will, but if I wanted to do the trim in black, I would consider powder coating it. Be safe. RB
Old 04-02-2014, 09:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black77USS View Post
Understood! No offense taken. I want to restore my car cosmetically. I should have it back in front of me by next week and be better able to discuss it. I don't think I will, but if I wanted to do the trim in black, I would consider powder coating it. Be safe. RB
If I may a better option may be to sell your bright trim and buy the black anodize trim off the for sale form. Bright trim in good condition will sell for more than black.

Also, Hershey is right around the corner. It is a fun time and would be well worth your time and effort to come. You could get everything you need/want to change your trim.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by catuck View Post
I'm certain it's anodized. In fact, I've been trying to strip my door handles with Easy Off (lye) - no luck so far.
You are using the yellow can of easy off right? Easy off isn't removing the black/ Then it may not be anodized.

Did you try paint stripper?
Old 04-02-2014, 04:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
f I may a better option may be to sell your bright trim and buy the black anodize trim off the for sale form
I would do a swap and add some money if you want to go that rout. Or I would possibly be willing to have mine powder coated and send to you for an even trade depending on the condition of yours. Let me know.

Yes, yellow can with lye. I'm certain the trim is anodized, I know what anodized aluminum looks like. I may need to try soaking longer. Besides, Easy Off strips paint very well. Have you ever stripped anodizing? I'm curious to hear from someone that has done it.
'14 Audi A6 3.0
18 Tesla ModelX 100D
Old 04-02-2014, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Catuk, are you asking me about a trade? I was making a suggestion it may be easier and cheaper to sell your trim and buy what you want vs. having it re-anodized.

Yes I have off my Fuchs so it was the bright anodize and the black what would you like to know?

The Eazy off doesn't dissolve anodizing, like paint stripper does paint.

Last edited by drcoastline; 04-02-2014 at 07:17 PM..
Old 04-02-2014, 07:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
I was taking your suggestion to the OP and asking him if he would like to swap. At least I thought you were suggesting to the OP?
How long does the part have to soak to remove the anodizing? I tried for at least half an hour with no results.
'14 Audi A6 3.0
18 Tesla ModelX 100D
Old 04-02-2014, 08:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by catuck View Post
I was taking your suggestion to the OP and asking him if he would like to swap. At least I thought you were suggesting to the OP?
How long does the part have to soak to remove the anodizing? I tried for at least half an hour with no results.
Sorry my misunderstanding. That is a good idea though. I was suggesting he and you should try and make it to Hershey. There are some great deals on parts new and used. You may find what you want/need at price far below having your parts refinished or to buy new. Great people to talk to and lots and lots of great cars as well.

The time for the Eazy off to work varies. The Eazy off began to strip my caps in a few hours. The Fuchs took a few days and needed several applications. Eazy off works best with heat so if you can warm the parts and keep them warm during the process that should help the process go faster. If you are in a warm place put the parts out in the sun. I have a propane heater I bought from Harbor Freight that attaches to the top of a standard 20lb. tank. I set the parts up to a height that the heat would be directed right on the parts and let them warm for a while. After they were warm I sprayed a liberal coat of Eazy off over the surface and let stand. The Eazy off would dry so every so often I would spray on another coat. You may want to cover or wrap the parts with plastic it may help keep the Eazy off from drying out. After some time get a green or gray scotch brite pad and rub the surface to see if the anodizing is dissolving? If not re-spray and let sit.

As the process works it will look like you are running the part. The areas where the Anodizing has dissolved will turn gray. It will almost look like lead that has oxidized. Don't be alarmed this can be cleaned up.

Some of the tools I used to help the process were green, red and gray scotch brite pads, brass brushes. Brass wheels in a dremel or air grinder. Just be careful to not use anything to aggressive you do not want to gauge the part. At best you will create extra work to sand the gauge out at worst you will ruin the part.

Last edited by drcoastline; 04-03-2014 at 03:56 AM..
Old 04-03-2014, 03:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for those instructions, very helpful! I wasn't giving it enough time to work.

Actually, I am going to Hershey this year, I used to go every year, but it's been a few years now. I have a list of things to buy which makes it that much more fun!

Black77SS: sorry for hijacking your thread!
'14 Audi A6 3.0
18 Tesla ModelX 100D
Old 04-03-2014, 05:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Stay in touch I have gone for every year since..... I don't remember when. Ski Round top was my first when ever that was.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
I started going at Ski Roundtop too, sometime in the 80's I believe. It was much smaller and mostly 356 parts in those days.
'14 Audi A6 3.0
18 Tesla ModelX 100D
Old 04-03-2014, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: